Forums » Entertainment

Romance Without the Diamond Price Tags

• 3111 posts
    October 7, 2014 5:19 AM PDT

Holidays, routines and rituals mean a lot to me. These can be emotional, mentally charging or spiritually sacred times for me. A moment to focus on these things.

Our anniversary is often spent as dinner and a movie..his ultimate date night. Why? Because this was what we did as our "big date night" before we married.We both consider this very romantic because it reminds us of that courtship time. It rekindles memories and feelings.

We have lowered the cost of this expense by often making it lunch and a matinée. We have even stayed home to a nice cooked meal by candlelight and a video on the television.

What budget friendly things do you do for couple time out or anniversaries?

******************************************************************************************************************

If you are interested in a happy marriage then you might want to read, "Don't penny pinch the romance out of your marriage", an article on gift giving.

This post was edited by Brandy at October 7, 2014 5:22 AM PDT
    • 1271 posts
    October 7, 2014 6:35 AM PDT

We'll often catch a movie on Tuesdays after work.  The theater down the street from our office building has $5.25 movies every day until 6:00 p.m., and concessions are $1 on Tuesdays.  There's a lot of dining options in this area too, but the best is when I get a coupon for a BOGO entree at the steak house we like a few blocks down. We can swing dinner and a movie for $30 if we have a good coupon.

We always plan our vacation around our anniversary.  It's exceptionally nice since our anniversary is May 23rd, right before Memorial Day.  We often get better prices for staying the week before the holiday, plus we get a bonus day to relax and get settled back in at home before we have to be back at work.

As far as gifts are concerned, DH always manages to get me very nice jewelry for Valentines and Christmas by shopping sales.  Christmas is fairly easy, Black Friday sales are great for jewelry.  The year before last he bought me a gorgeous aquamarine and lab diamond (I don't wear mined diamonds for humanitarian reasons) sterling silver ring.  I saw the ad this came from, and I know it was $28 at Sears, down from $200 as a post Black Friday shopping promo. I love it, and I love it even more knowing he paid a great price for it :)

There's lots of things couples can do too. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have a great time.  What about packing a picnic and going for a drive? Infact, some of my fondest memories of time spent together starts with us in the car and DH asking "are you in a hurry to get home? I've always wondered where this road goes" and ends up with a long drive and a stop at a small place for a quick lunch.  Gas prices are coming down again, thankfully, so some fall drives look pretty good right now!

We have a lot of fun just sitting down together playing a card or board game. Snuggling up on the couch and watching a movie or marathoning a show on Netflix is nice too.

This post was edited by JessYeast at October 7, 2014 6:38 AM PDT
    • 1421 posts
    October 7, 2014 8:52 AM PDT

our anniversity is also several family members it was my Daddy and Mama too I wore her vail and I had a pressed flower from her bouquet in my shoe ... Dh doesn't normal things one year I got a new freezer he given me a new milking palor   but the best gift is the holly brush he grew and had it wrapped several time for a cane for me he given a mother ring at 2 at 6 and 12  he got a good sense of humor last year he handed me $300 he said get yourself something pretty I did house shoes powder a new chain for the rings I carry and he filed up my mad money well he a good man and he tries .

• 775 posts
    October 11, 2014 11:22 PM PDT
    Gayla McFarlin -Thurston said:

I wore her vail and I had a pressed flower from her bouquet in my shoe ... Dh doesn't normal things one year I got a new freezer he given me a new milking palor   but the best gift is the holly brush he grew and had it wrapped several time for a cane for me he given a mother ring at 2 at 6 and 12  he got a good sense of humor last year he handed me $300 he said get yourself something pretty I did house shoes powder a new chain for the rings I carry and he filed up my mad money well he a good man and he tries .

These are such sweet things, Gayla. There is so much love in your family.

• 3111 posts
    January 6, 2015 6:47 PM PST

I am bumping this up for those looking for Valentine ideas.

• 1451 posts
    April 23, 2015 8:58 AM PDT

Thinking of summer. We have had a house full of people and even now with the kids gone I never know when they will pop in. We love to spend time with them but they forget mom and dad are still a couple.

We take our vacations or dine out usually with the kids or another couple and so when the weather is nice we escape on a date with just the two of us.

I love to visit a rose garden we have here in the spring and we will go there. The quiet is wonderful. It's like a mini vacation and time spent with just the two of us.

We also will visit our state parks in the summer. I will pack a picnic or we will eat out some where inexpensive. A day trip to the shore with a couple of hours at the beach and a stop at a 2nd hand book store. Last year we packed a lunch and took a tour of a mansion that we enjoyed very much for not much money. One year we went on a picnic and took a little island cruise that was nice.

When lobster goes on sale here we will have a mini clam bake for two and sit out on the deck enjoying the night.

A movie if there is anything we want to see and if we go on a Tuesday it will only cost us $5 for bargain night.

• 2275 posts
    April 23, 2015 9:26 AM PDT

When we were younger and had no money we would save all year to have an overnight stay in a hotel either in the mountains or at the coast. We would book it during the week because it was cheaper than the weekend. We would pack a cooler with a picnic lunch, bring our own breakfast foods and go out for an inexpensive dinner. Sometimes we would stop at a farmers market and eat whatever we could find there. Today we just jump in the car and take long drives down the coast and stop at an out of the way place for lunch or dinner. We will also pack a picnic lunch and go wine tasting at some of the vineyards in the mountains. I don't drink so I am the designated driver. We also like to go to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls. Sometimes we go to minor league baseball games. We use our credit card reward points to get movie tickets and gift cards to restaurants and then have date night. I pay the credit cards off each month so we aren't paying them interest so date night ends up being free.

• 3111 posts
    April 23, 2015 10:42 AM PDT

Our anniversary just passed again.

This year, we took a drive to our oldest's house. We visited then took her, the baby and our youngest out for burgers. Following that, we had a walk in the park.

It was a very enjoyable day.

• 800 posts
    May 8, 2015 7:56 AM PDT

Our "go to" romantic evening (anniversaries, birthdays, Valentine's Day) is to pick & cook a special dinner at home. This might be something more involved that we wouldn't typically make on a regular weeknight. Add a bottle of wine & a nice dessert.

We also enjoy taking a picnic to the botanic gardens in our city, and we've taken our telescope to the park near our house at night.

We also enjoy mini road trips to several of the small towns nearby us, just to get lunch or walk around the town square.

• 3840 posts
    September 15, 2017 7:31 AM PDT

with us depends on the year since our anniversary is just after valentines day. and mil bday so get a little done with celebrating.  last thing in a long line!

• 36 posts
    October 25, 2017 11:07 AM PDT
    I'll cook, and we will go to the $4 theatre.
    Sometimes, when the weather is good, it's a picnic then the movie.
    Without a movie, it's hikes or simply hanging out. We have separate houses, roommates, so alone time is precious, even if all we do is talk about gutters.

I've been hearing that I'm behind on pop culture., so a few movie dates are his idea of catching me up.

(Really dude? You dress like Jimmy Buffet and are afraid of smart phones. I've just avoided telly for 30 years, and I dress like a hippie)