Forums » In the Kitchen

Frugal Snacks

• 251 posts
    June 6, 2014 6:43 AM PDT

Packaged snack foods are not cheap nor are they healthy. Snacks made at home can be much cheaper.

What are your favorite snacks to serve?

• 407 posts
    June 6, 2014 10:31 AM PDT

I make alot of fruit and popcorn , any thing with nuts they love granola  right now the are having fuit .. before nap ....

we have a new crop of globe grapes we have to be quick papa will make wine out of them  hehehhe

• 64 posts
    June 7, 2014 9:46 PM PDT

Just recently made an apple crisp first time just perfect plus you can use on hand items spices/flour/oatmeal/apples/sugar

Granola w/ yogurt

Fresh Fruits

• 7 posts
    June 8, 2014 7:30 PM PDT
    I'm a big fan of having veggies around to snack on. I like to cut them up and keep them in the fridge for handy snacking. Also very easy to throw in my lunch bag for a quick afternoon snack.

I also like to buy a bag of pretzels or nuts and divide them into little bags. Way cheaper than buying the individual snack packs.
    • 120 posts
    June 8, 2014 10:48 PM PDT

You can make pb or pb/jelly sandwiches cut into quarters or pb Nabs with generic crackers. Apple slices with pb or a bit of cheese, any left-overs that you have.

• 216 posts
    June 9, 2014 11:04 PM PDT

I don't know if its a snack per se, but I made a pan of cinnamon rolls last night to have for breakfast and snacks this week.  I used this recipe and it was a snap since I had all the ingredients in the pantry already.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/05/08/easy-cinnamon-rolls-from-scratch/

DH's go-to snacks are carrots or celery with hummus (which can be made at home very cheaply) or ranch dressing.

Fresh fruit that's in season is my favorite.  We got a huge seedless watermelon for $4 last week and it yielded 2 huge tubs and 5 smaller tupperwares in the fridge once I cubed it all up!

Some slightly watered down juice frozen into popsicles is a refreshing treat.

Frugal fruit smoothies using some frozen bananas, milk or yogurt, ice, and orange juice.  (Freeze leftovers into popsicles too!)

Just some cold cereal and milk is a great snack.

• 147 posts
    June 10, 2014 10:16 AM PDT

When my kids were younger I would always have popcorn, fruit, sliced veggies (carrot sticks, celery with cream cheese or peanut butter, cucumber), yogurt, peanut butter with crackers and pretzels for snacks since they were pretty cheap. My kids always brought half of the neighborhood over to my house for a snack. 

• 37 posts
    June 10, 2014 4:52 PM PDT
    I make all of this homemade..sherbet,fruit breads,cookies,yogurt,granola,brownies,cheesecake,cinnamon rolls,frappachinos as of recently with homemade whipped cream,butter pecan ice cream,strawberry shortcake...non homemade -cracker,pepperoni slices,cheese,cereal,popcorn with the new flavored sprinkled powder,nuts.
    • 43 posts
    June 13, 2014 9:45 AM PDT

Lots of seasonal fruits during the summer months. Popcorn, raisins, and peanuts in the shell for the grandkids out on the deck. Organic garden here and kids will eat cukes and cherry tomatoes at will. I always have carrots and celery ready to be eaten all year long. We also bake together at least once a week during the summer if it's not too hot. Cookies, mini muffins. cobblers, and crisps.

I often make tea type of sandwiches in the summer. Kids seem to love a "fancy" lunch or snack. Let's not forget ice cream and popsicles bought on sale for those hot summer days.

• 407 posts
    June 13, 2014 11:59 AM PDT

map578 i make tea sandwhiches for the little princess to have for their lunch

and the boys get trucks and car sanwhiches for their special lunch  

we also have alot of different nuts  they love it when I make granola one of the only time some of them eat ceral 

they love a plat of cukes and the little tomatoes and these kids will eat raw green beans by hand ful ...   some eat carrots

but they all love celery with either cream cheese or peanut butter and it a big hit if I but raisins on them for ant on the ...

my oldest granddaughter will ask to make muffins the mini kind either first thing in the morning I let her bake twice a week recently

she made a banana coffee cake for tea time it was delious she said  Gram  i cut down the sugar by 1/2 cause of the banana could you tell

she is going to be a great cook.

• 64 posts
    June 13, 2014 5:50 PM PDT

This week we are trying out Frozen yogurt...(bought a ice cream machine for $5.00 last year never used it ) First batch used StoneyFields vanilla yogurt--nice and creamy when first churned tasted awesome---Froze to eat later--soild brick lol and sour....Great w/ fruit...(suggestions are to add 1 tbsp alcohol to mix to keep it creamy vs bricky)

Next batch will be made tonight w/ Fage and coconut milk--for DD who like coconut will be adding 1 tbsp of either rum or coconut to find out if it works (p.s. DD is 22 )I have also heard if you use vanilla as well to keep it from freezing hard...

The best part we can have frozen yogurt every day per our dietian if we make it at home :O) YIPPIE!!!!

• 216 posts
    June 14, 2014 11:30 PM PDT

We've made ice cream with a can of full fat coconut milk (chocolate mint with mini chocolate chips) and it was delicious.  With the coconut milk ice cream, we've found if you zap it in the microwave for a few seconds after its frozen solid makes it scoopable.

• 99 posts
    June 18, 2014 7:18 PM PDT

We're big on sliced cucumbers, bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, and other quick veggies with ranch dressing or just plain. Cut up fruit is always a winner. I like making a pan of Strawberry Oat Bars, brownies, cookies, etc every week for sweet snacks. My grandma loved giving us graham crackers spread with jam after school and now I've passed that one on to the niece and nephew. PB and crackers or jelly is classic. Sharp cheese and crackers or gingersnaps (I know weird!) is one of my favorites.

• 43 posts
    June 19, 2014 11:53 AM PDT

I just wanted to add about the garden. We have all heard the saying they if they plant it they will eat it and it's true. Our kids are not fond of vegetables at dinner but they seem to eat just about anything out of the garden that they helped to plant. My granddaughter eats pole beans by the ton and when the beans get too tough to chew she eats the beans inside of the bean. My grandson will eat green peppers and cucumbers like he's eating apples.

• 97 posts
    July 2, 2014 3:37 AM PDT

I like to snack on fresh apple slices with a bit ogf peanut butter, carrots celery and cucumbers dipped in a lite ranch dressing or dip. i also like having popcorn, or peanut butter on "ritz" crackers. i also like to have lite or low fat mozzarella string cheese sticks on hand for a quick grab n go snack. but I'm starting to notice these are becoming more and more expensive. :/

Angie