Forums » Shopping

Discount Grocery Stores

• 350 posts
    June 2, 2014 6:25 PM PDT

I save a lot of money shopping at discount/salvage grocery stores. Does anyone else do this? My favorite deals are cereal, popcorn, can veggies, soups, rice. Babs

• 3 posts
    June 4, 2014 5:55 PM PDT

I'm going to dented can store tommarrow.love that place.ours have meats also or did havent been there in a while. but it was 15$ for 15lbs. of chicken breast

• 51 posts
    June 4, 2014 9:23 PM PDT

We don't have any discount/salvage grocery stores locally, there is one about a 2 hour drive away in Idaho that I try to stop at when i get over that way.  Nothing like the deals you find, just an outlet really of overstocked things.

• 350 posts
    June 5, 2014 4:10 AM PDT

I have one a mile from my house, one 20 milesw south and one 25 miles north. I am very blessed to have them so close. The one south has meat and sends on weekly emails. I have gotten whole chicken for a $1 twice, hot dogs 50 cents a pack. That is always the case but nice when it happens. Babs

• 328 posts
    June 5, 2014 10:23 AM PDT
    I wish we had discount and salvage stores here. I do check the markdown and clearance sections of the grocery stores. Anything to help with the soaring grocery bills is appreciated.
  • June 5, 2014 11:41 AM PDT

I get ceral , lunch meat , beans , noodles and rice  alot of fresh fruit there to got pineapples for $1.00 the other day dh got a case of assorte apples for $2.00 and gave them out at the food bank the guy whos runs the place sell DH cans without labels for $.06 a piece DH will get 25 dollars worth the kids will set at night and divid them up and put on them what they are we  we got alot of soup this time  then cannned meat and deviled meat people at the food bank appreciate this

Dh went to the animal feed store got two truck loads of food one for cat and one for dogs we hired 4 guys they bagged and we put it out for people to get they appreciated it the guy from the plant came down he said I told them about you all he siad i can give you two loads of each for free ..

truck divers poured into our place this am one said i got a load of mushroom they turned down we off loading here .. he said that my brother he got fans one flat turned over we off loaded them

got tomatoe and cabbage ... what a bleessing   4 people brought squash and we got alot of herbs ..we are blsesed

• 61 posts
    June 5, 2014 3:23 PM PDT

We do ... unfortunately the stores aren't close, so it's a road trip for us to shop there.

We're always looking for  canned tomatoes and tomato sauce ...  one store we like usually has great deals on pasta .. we once got a 10 pound bag of ziti at 39 cents a pound.

my blog: www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com

• 27 posts
    June 13, 2014 10:14 AM PDT

None near us, sadly. This directory (http://www.extremebargains.net/discount-grocery-store-directory/) showed exactly one in the entire state of New Jersey, and it's nearly an hour away--and in an area we never visit for any other reason.

• June 13, 2014 11:24 AM PDT

at our ugo the other day I fought 8 packages of cressent rolls for 4 for $1.00   hot dogs and bologna $1.00  pasta 3 for $1.00  and got 16 cans of tomato pasta for $1.00    they had some cereal for $1.00 a box and an kind of mac & white cheedar for 3 For $1.00

our family dollar is closing  I went in and got fruit cup 4 pack for $.30  I got all the had  i chill them for the child and the love it  I save the cups wash them and then make them frozen popslice with a stick and all the bells and whistles  Katie make them pudding pops they love them the kids are spoiled her   I got over the counter meds for $.85 for cold , flu and alot of acetaminophen db and Dsil and gs use that kind of stuff at the med clinc they do twice a month   i got all the bandaids  and  gauze and such too  DB said let me have the gauze and ace bandage and all that stuff he said put the bandaids on the table   dh brought in dog and cat food today  and he got 4 package of tissue for the food bank we gaive that out too ..... 

at the ugo today dh found blocks of different kind of cheese 5LB BLOCKS for $4.99 he got one of each and  double on cheedar and swiss  I break them done into packages and spilt with Katie we freezer some and have the rest for bugers and sandwhiches

• 103 posts
    July 1, 2014 3:20 AM PDT

i often find great deals on grocery items, cleaning supplies and paper products at Big Lots.Anyone else?

Angie

• 354 posts
    July 2, 2014 4:22 PM PDT

I find some good deals at Grocery Outlet.  Sometimes the food is just shy of its expiration date and sometimes its surplus, but either way I like shopping there because they have a lot of brand name and organic products for at least 50% off retail.  You just have to be choosy about what you buy.  For fresh stuff, they will start selling off things at bargain prices if its a few days before the expiration or the day of expiration, especially meat.  I've purchased stuff I see at Whole Foods for a fraction of the price there.  The last time I was there I got a pound of Earth Balance vegan margarine for baking at $1.72 when I know it goes for almost $5 at Whole Foods.  I got thick sliced bacon for $1.50 a pound when our local grocery store was selling it for $4.99 a package.  Gourmet cheeses for $1-2 a wedge.  Huge bags of end pieces of gourmet name brand salami and cured meats and bacon for a few bucks.  Organic cookie dough for $1-2 a package.  One time I bought a case of Zico coconut water there for $.99 a liter just because it was going to expire in a month.  Original price is $3.99 each!

• 88 posts
    July 2, 2014 5:44 PM PDT

I like Grocery Outlet too!  I struggle to stay focussed though.  It's tempting to buy things I don't "need" like convenience foods.  I do like the organic section.  I've gotten great deals there.

• 201 posts
    September 3, 2014 12:29 AM PDT

Just one very small one here, go sometimes. They can have only a few things or many. You have to watch closely - some of their prices are the same or more as grocery store prices.

Usually good buys on pasta, rice mixes. I once got 3 cases of 24 cans each Heinz Beans for $3 a piece.

I have gotten quite a few things that weren't edible there. Their policy is no returns. For most things, you're just as well off, if not better, working the case sales at the regular stores.

• 350 posts
    September 3, 2014 4:52 AM PDT

turtle, that is too bad. The discount store near me is very good. If you buy a non food item, they have a 30 day return policy with the reciept. I have gotten a few bad food items but not many. They have good deals on cereal, juice, snack items...granola bars.  Salad dressing is one of the things that I buy a lot. DH eats a lot of the lite Ranch dressing since he is on a low carb diet and low fat. I save a lot getting salad dressing there. Babs

• 282 posts
    September 8, 2014 8:07 AM PDT

I am like MrsO, I shop at Grocery Outlet. We finally got one just 10 miles from my house instead of a 30 minute drive. It will help out my budget and DD's. She is learning how to stretch those dollars.

• September 8, 2014 4:44 PM PDT

my dil Hannah said mom not sure if he meant it but dr doug said I need to go some where with you with out and don't know if was serious or not but he said to go with you and not take anyone smaller than you  

• 3 posts
    September 8, 2014 5:27 PM PDT

We have a Grocery Outlet in our town.  It's hit or miss, some weeks better than others,  but I can usually find great deals on at least a couple of items every time  I go.  Last week, they had chicken leg quarters in 10# bags for $.69 per pound, so I picked up two.  They also had quarts of yogurt (plain or vanilla flavored)  3/$1 .   I picked up three packages of Kahn's weiners for a buck a pack, as well as three 9.6 oz packages of Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles (fully cooked) for a buck a pack.  So well worth the trip this week.  Earlier this summer, they had Betty Crocker potato mixes (assorted varieties)  3/$1.  We don't use a greal deal of those kinds of mixes, but I did pick up 6 to have on hand.  I often find good deals on butter there, particularly LoL spreadable butters, but didn't see that this time.  They also have Arnold's and Sara Lee breads for $1.18 and often have 16-count restaurant pkg of hot dog and hamburger rolls for that same price.  A couple of times I've scored a loaf of Roman Meal, but that's very rare.

Also this summer, they have had squeezable bottles of Heinz barbecue sauce and hot sweet relish 2/$1.  I bought a couple of each to try and they were excellent, so got four more bbq sauce and two more relish this past week also.

This post was edited by Mazie1956 at September 8, 2014 5:32 PM PDT