Forums » Self-sufficient Living

Fall Scented Air Freshener

• 2880 posts
    August 26, 2014 6:27 AM PDT

I love using different scents for my house. I make my own rather than buiy commercial products. Here is one for fall..

Fill a spray bottle with water, add four tablespoons of vinegar. Vinegar combats odor and used in small amounts, the smell will dissipitate quickly.

10 drops of orange oil
    2 drops cinnamon oil
    2 drops nutmeg essential oil
    1 or 2 drops clove oil

Spritz the air with your new air freshener but be careful not to let water drop onto surfaces that water can damage. I spritz curtains, fabric furniture and rugs in a room.

You can experiment with the oils to get the right blend for you. Sometimes scent is a personal preference.

DIY Fall Scented Air Freshener
    Fall Scented Air Freshener photo from Shutterstock

This post was edited by admin at November 14, 2014 5:53 AM PST
    • 2880 posts
    September 7, 2015 8:56 AM PDT

Bumping this one up for our fall community resources!

• 1283 posts
    September 7, 2015 9:17 AM PDT

that would smell very nice!  funny how all the fall stuff is so appealing now after a long hot summer here.

• 2880 posts
    September 7, 2015 9:54 AM PDT

I agree there! So looking forward to cooler days with a little breeze.

• 140 posts
    September 7, 2015 1:50 PM PDT

I like to cut up an apple, slice up a lemon or orange (or just use leftover peels, apple cores, etc.), add a cinnamon stick and a piece or two fo star anise, and put it all in a pan of water on the back of the stove, let it simmer... and it smells so awesome!

• 55 posts
    September 16, 2015 2:29 PM PDT

I make a potpurri similar to the one spiderdust makes--water, citrus peels and/or apple/pear core, a dash of cinnamon and clovers.

• 2880 posts
    September 16, 2015 5:59 PM PDT

I have done those as well. I prefer the orange peels to apples. It gave a stronger scent that lasted longer.