Forums » General Chat

Thankful Thursday September 13 $$$ Stretching

• 2201 posts
    September 13, 2018 2:04 AM PDT
    For what are you thankful on this wonderful Thursday?
    • 2201 posts
    September 13, 2018 2:05 AM PDT
    zohnerfarms, still praying for you. It was good the read round 5 of your chemo treatment is behind you and was not overly adverse to your system.

LNBee2, I hope you and your family remain safe during the hurricane as well. There still appears to be a lot of uncertainty about the storm even this morning. We all just have to pray for the best.

magsuk, happy belated birthday to you! I guess I must have missed the announcement earlier. Enjoy your upcoming vacation!

map578 and jillibean, thanks. I, too, am hoping I will feel better soon. If I can overcome the stomach issues, I think I will be on the mend.

Good Thursday morning! I am so thankful for all the blessings that life has offered me. I often take things for granted, but have so much for which to be grateful.

My plans for the day are to stay home and not spend any money. I will try to get a few things done inside the house as my energy level permits. There is laundry to fold and put away, kitchen and back entry to be swept and mopped and other to-dos. There are a few extra hands on deck today, so we’ll see what we can get done. We are in a wait-and-see mode about the storm at this point. All of the preparations have been made, but only time will tell of the actual impact. It’s projected that electrical power will be lost for up to several weeks, so we will be in a real mess. Supper will be soup and crackers for me. Pork chops, green lima beans and salad will be supper for everybody else. Have a good day, everyone.

This post was edited by Luckee08 at September 13, 2018 2:05 AM PDT
    • 897 posts
    September 13, 2018 3:32 AM PDT
    Happy Thursday to All. Mid 80's and the calm before the storm. Thankful for too many things to count.

Still taking care of things around the house, yard, day to day stuff. New tasks keep popping up but we are pretty relaxed during this watch and wait period. Storm is supposedly shifting south but we are still in that cone of 6-8 inches of rain, winds, trees down, power outages. Have lived here since 1989 and know how quickly things can change. Just trying to relax and take things in stride. Thankful for neighbors who will help each other if needed. Ann I pray you are feeling better and don't lose power for any length of time.

Yesterday cooked ground beef with garden onions and peppers, served over rice. Also the last of the garden green beans which had been languishing in the fridge. Leftovers today. Emptied the small pails of sweet potato plants - so far almost 5 lbs. of various sizes. Still the big can to empty but no rush on that one as the plants are still going strong. We are still learning about what works best for growing sweet potatoes. The big container and one of the pails are from slips we bought at the store. The others are from slips started from sweet potatoes from last year's garden that were sprouting. Thankful for what we did harvest thus far.

Everyone have a wonderful and thankful day.
    • 693 posts
    September 13, 2018 6:57 AM PDT
    Luckee08, rounds 4 &5 were terrible, but so far round 5 is not as bad as they were. Every round is different. If I touch anything cold, I get a painful reaction from one of the chemo drugs, so everything I eat needs to be room temp or warm, I use gloves to take things out of the fridge, no ice in anything. It has been enlightening, as I imagine this is how one lives without refrigeration available.

I am thankful today for the health care team that is doing their best to cure me, & especially for the support of my family.
    • 2224 posts
    September 13, 2018 7:58 AM PDT
    Zohner I pray that the chemo does it's job with the Lord's help and kills the cancer completely.
    We woke up to cooler temps and I am very thankful. I am so tired of summer temps. Today is errand day. I have to take my truck to the dealership because there is a recall on the cruise control. My BFF and I are going grocery shopping while we wait for my truck to be done. Then I have to babysit at 3pm so daughter can go to school. Dinner will probably be tacos.
    • 3754 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:41 AM PDT
    thinking of you zohner! chemo is rough.glad it is doing its job. my friend went vegan for her breast cancer after the chemo. she is still do the other treatment. her doctor told her not to eat so healthy during the chemo like her juicing etc because you are feeding both good and bad cells. thought it was strange but makes sense.

week of kid drama. same sun and overcast cool. did shopping yesterday for bread and milk some disc meat. apples and bananas. ds was no lunch meat. just bought some a few days ago so he was cutting up hotdogs on bread. like what is wrong w pb or liverwurst or cheese. my kids always make it seem like there it no options and hard up lol

forgot I have to go to post office to get a present for ds from amazon. bookkeeping today for a few hours. dishes, laundry etc. not sure what is for dinner was a do it yourself last night.

Thankfull for the offer. the people after 10 days came back with a higher offer for mils condo 545,000 so I am like take it lord knows I wouldn't pay it. we are lucky. the market is going down. mil wants 550 because sil says so..so the realtor told her that market downturning so this is good sil got dropped out of the conversation. no mortgage so all just cash in hand so why lose a sale over it. I said why 550 and dh is so no one can say I didn't do my best. said you are a better son then most so doesn't matter. sil will lie about you anyways. he said what if mil needs it for medical if she gets worse. I am like she doesn't pay for anything anyways and she would go into a lockdown nursing home (no wandering out) if she is worse which is covered. so the realtor is going to say they would like 550 but will take 545. why look a gift horse in the mouth. because you still have strata fees and taxes on top to pay mortgage.

they just said in the news single home dream is dead need $175,000 income to buy a basic house here. and wages are not there.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at September 13, 2018 8:58 AM PDT
    • 1558 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:44 AM PDT
    Today I am thankful for the sunshine, that Florence is weakening, and for Pauline.

I need to get dressed soon, and get ready or Pauline's arrival. it's going to be a busy day.

Decluttering, shredding old papers- Pauline fixed my shredder- or rather she had the patience to dig out little bits of paper that were jammed. So for now, I won't need to replace it. that saved me at least $30-50!! I have 2 baskets of papers and stuff " to go through. Fun times I tell ya-- fun times!! no spending today is the plan- all food/meals from home as usual!!

Angie
    • 1434 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:45 AM PDT
    Grandkids and DD are off. Waiting for DD to return to give me a quick trim. Potato salad is just about done for tomrrow. I was going to throw in some pickles but I couldn't get the lid off the jar. They will wait until DD arrives. Not sure if I made enough, just 5 lbs. of potaoes. and we are expecting a larger crowd. Plenty of other things to eat so it will have to do.

I have housework to do and the kitchen mess to clean up. Hopefully I can start packing this weekend for vacation and I still haven't figured out what I am taking. Trying to pack just what I need. I went through shoes and sandals to see iif anything will fit on my swollen foot. I did find a pair of flats that I can wear on formal night and for tomorrow. If I can't get both shoes on I will have to wear one and my boot on the other foot. Not pretty.

I need to go online today to see if I have any prescriptions that are on automatic send. I will ask them not to send them and order them when we get back. I think I may have insulin arriving soon. I have plenty to go with so I don't need it.

Thankful for more things than can be counted.

Thinking and praying for everyone in the path of the hurricane. DD has a friend out there she tried to evacuate two days ago but there is no gasoline to be had. They are setting up shelters and she will go to rough it out there.
    This post was edited by map578 at September 13, 2018 8:50 AM PDT
    • 1343 posts
    September 13, 2018 11:17 PM PDT
    Mags- Happy Very Belated Birthday!
    Zohner- Glad to hear that the latest round was better than the others. Whew.

My brother got out of SC and drove to my sister's in Fl. He'll stay a few days. My sis and the kids don't mind.

I'm going with DS2 for a job interview tomorrow. It is a job where all money related things go to and through for the college. Financial aid, petty cash for employees, gifts given to whomever in the form of sporting events must be recorded here. I told DS2 how it acts like the central bank for the college......See how it goes and what they tell him the job would entail.

I was exhausted today and slept until it was time to go to work. I put flexall on my back and shoulders as the pain can get intense. Sleeping has been tough.