Forums » TDS Pantry Challenge

Fall into the Pantry 2018 share

• 3754 posts
    September 2, 2018 11:02 PM PDT
    what is your goals for fall with your pantry... go though and use things up? process garden bounty ? shop sales? work on food waste

share your journey and tips.
    • 3754 posts
    September 2, 2018 11:06 PM PDT
    I need to work on all three! esp after I just gave a whole peach pie to the raccoons and crows.. found cherry tomatoes on the ground need to be picked. blackberries gone to mush.

leftovers a biggie.. peaches started going so put them in the fridge so ds stopped eating them so they rotted. compost. plus moldy bread and rest of old bread in the fridge from vacation raisin etc.

plan on using up csa veggies in spaghetti sauce.
    • 1343 posts
    September 3, 2018 12:05 AM PDT
    Well, we'll be thawing anything that's in the freezers to make room for hams and turkeys.

I will try to make some different dinner recipes- wedding soup, meatloaf, beef raviolis, shrimp scampi,.... And try other things to make like: apple bread, beer pretzels and lemon Tuscan muffins.

I'll be making my Fall standbys- beef stew, chicken noodle soup, chili, sloppy joes, pumpkin pie and chocolate chip cookies.

I will make smaller batches of things so it doesn't go to waste. I never know how much to make sometimes as it may be hit or miss.
    • 290 posts
    September 3, 2018 7:17 PM PDT
    clean out the pantry and freezers. all are a mess. stock up on case sales for winter. finish the summer canning, and take an inventory.
    • 2224 posts
    September 4, 2018 4:58 PM PDT
    My plans are to use up some meat from the freezer to make room for a turkey and a ham. I have been cooking and baking more from scratch. We will be having more soups, chili, and stews.
    • 3754 posts
    September 4, 2018 8:40 PM PDT
    used up bunch of veggies and some cans of tomatoes plus lb of gr pork to make spaghetti sauce. couple packs of hotdogs. bread lunchmeat etc reg stuff used up. crows got the peach pie, couple boiled eggs.

stocked up the house with lunch snacks and other case lot items and sales pork, chicken corden bleus, highliner breaded fish.

• 3754 posts
    September 9, 2018 6:28 PM PDT
    stocked and stocked again. dollar deals etc. made big pot of homesauce and froze it. more veggies used up beets, carrots, red cabbage, cukes, bread, buns, cheese, mandarins, apples. lunchmeat, cereal. frozen pasta.
    • 3754 posts
    September 16, 2018 7:22 PM PDT
    used up the reg stuff. stocked up on classico pasta sauce 5 jars , more pb, dollar deals on sliced cheese, sour cream, ice cream, hotdogs etc. dry cereal. marked down meat and prime rib special.
    • 1343 posts
    September 17, 2018 4:53 PM PDT
    After going through the big freezer and finding lots of stuff, I am thawing a ham in the fridge. DH asked why I went through that freezer and it was because I was going to buy beef & chicken. Now, I see there's no need. He would probably disagree.

DH wants to go to Costco but I'm not sure. Says we need paper products. And he wants to see what's on sale..::sigh::

DH got free food at work and brought it home. Used deli, bread, ice cream, oven chicken, apples, bananas..