Forums » TDS Pantry Challenge

Fall into the Pantry 2018 share

• 3910 posts
    September 2, 2018 11:02 PM PDT
    what is your goals for fall with your pantry... go though and use things up? process garden bounty ? shop sales? work on food waste

share your journey and tips.
    • 3910 posts
    September 2, 2018 11:06 PM PDT
    I need to work on all three! esp after I just gave a whole peach pie to the raccoons and crows.. found cherry tomatoes on the ground need to be picked. blackberries gone to mush.

leftovers a biggie.. peaches started going so put them in the fridge so ds stopped eating them so they rotted. compost. plus moldy bread and rest of old bread in the fridge from vacation raisin etc.

plan on using up csa veggies in spaghetti sauce.
    • 1442 posts
    September 3, 2018 12:05 AM PDT
    Well, we'll be thawing anything that's in the freezers to make room for hams and turkeys.

I will try to make some different dinner recipes- wedding soup, meatloaf, beef raviolis, shrimp scampi,.... And try other things to make like: apple bread, beer pretzels and lemon Tuscan muffins.

I'll be making my Fall standbys- beef stew, chicken noodle soup, chili, sloppy joes, pumpkin pie and chocolate chip cookies.

I will make smaller batches of things so it doesn't go to waste. I never know how much to make sometimes as it may be hit or miss.
    • 333 posts
    September 3, 2018 7:17 PM PDT
    clean out the pantry and freezers. all are a mess. stock up on case sales for winter. finish the summer canning, and take an inventory.
    • 2308 posts
    September 4, 2018 4:58 PM PDT
    My plans are to use up some meat from the freezer to make room for a turkey and a ham. I have been cooking and baking more from scratch. We will be having more soups, chili, and stews.
    • 3910 posts
    September 4, 2018 8:40 PM PDT
    used up bunch of veggies and some cans of tomatoes plus lb of gr pork to make spaghetti sauce. couple packs of hotdogs. bread lunchmeat etc reg stuff used up. crows got the peach pie, couple boiled eggs.

stocked up the house with lunch snacks and other case lot items and sales pork, chicken corden bleus, highliner breaded fish.

• 3910 posts
    September 9, 2018 6:28 PM PDT
    stocked and stocked again. dollar deals etc. made big pot of homesauce and froze it. more veggies used up beets, carrots, red cabbage, cukes, bread, buns, cheese, mandarins, apples. lunchmeat, cereal. frozen pasta.
    • 3910 posts
    September 16, 2018 7:22 PM PDT
    used up the reg stuff. stocked up on classico pasta sauce 5 jars , more pb, dollar deals on sliced cheese, sour cream, ice cream, hotdogs etc. dry cereal. marked down meat and prime rib special.
    • 1442 posts
    September 17, 2018 4:53 PM PDT
    After going through the big freezer and finding lots of stuff, I am thawing a ham in the fridge. DH asked why I went through that freezer and it was because I was going to buy beef & chicken. Now, I see there's no need. He would probably disagree.

DH wants to go to Costco but I'm not sure. Says we need paper products. And he wants to see what's on sale..::sigh::

DH got free food at work and brought it home. Used deli, bread, ice cream, oven chicken, apples, bananas..
    • 1125 posts
    September 18, 2018 3:24 PM PDT
    I'm in again! I've overstocked on protein! Back log of extremely good sale tuna and sardines as well as home canned chicken. I'm trying to eat that up before I buy anymore meat/protein.
    • 3910 posts
    September 18, 2018 3:29 PM PDT
    lol I hear you lisa.. dh texted me sunday from costco..why are you there ..got aleve but more hotdogs. then I missed the text about hotdog buns he wanted me to buy. like you guys can eat one of the many other things in the house instead of endless hotdogs.

did donate about a dozen cans plus some other things to the food bank.
    • 2308 posts
    September 18, 2018 9:53 PM PDT
    I just did a Costco order online to be delivered in 48 hours. I bought some canned salmon, canned chicken, spices, canned beans, canned corn, toilet paper, paper towels and a few other items for $115. It will get me stocked up for awhile
    • 1624 posts
    September 24, 2018 8:12 AM PDT
    Will be going through my pantry today, doing a thorough clean out and reorganization of things. Will toss out anything outdated, take any extras to the community room to share with others. Or let Pauline take what she wants. I am not a huge fan of canned corn, but I get a few cans each month from the food pantry. However, I do like having a few cans on hand when I don't have frozen corn on hand. Otherwise, the plan is to organize and make room for winter stores of canned goods (soups, fruits, meats, etc.) Will be interesting to see what all I have compared to what I will need to be best prepared for winter weather.

Angie
    • 3910 posts
    September 26, 2018 7:38 PM PDT
    more hotdogs, big package of smokies, pork chops, pack of chicken breasts, pizza, single entrees, ice cream from the freezer. cans of baked beans, jiffy cornbread mixes, muffin mixes. cheese cake mix, jello

jar of butter chicken sauce, veggies given away or eaten from csa, food bank donation was canned tuna, chicken, spam etc.

normal stuff bread, dairy, sour cream, cereal candy, ice creams, chips...fruit... teens and parties and endless teen eating. ramen noodles, soup..
    This post was edited by marthamfi at September 27, 2018 11:25 AM PDT
    • 1624 posts
    September 30, 2018 12:11 PM PDT
    Pauline and I cleaned out my pantry cupboard and my one food cupboard. Got rid of 7 boxes of spaghetti- from food pantry boxes, we didn't toss it- she took some and so did the RN that comes once a week. Also gave a lot of the applesauce cups to Pauline for her granddaughters, as well as several bags of canned veggies and fruits. I also made her take the several bags of pancake mix too. I don't really like or eat pancakes much. I'd rather have french toast or waffles. At least we didn't toss much in the trash. there were a few items that we tossed just to be on the safe side- cakes mixes, and mac & cheese with the powdered cheese mix. Giving her cans of the excess veggies, fruits, etc. free up some space so I can better see what I have and also so I'll have the room for things I use more often, especially with winter fast approaching.

Angie
    • 3910 posts
    October 3, 2018 9:27 AM PDT
    used..pork roast, potatoes, carrots, onions. cheese, bread, dairy, hotdogs , lunchmeat, brownie mix, cereal etc. kids taking care of ice cream, chips and pop.

bunch of greens to compost. old stock bouillion to the garbage.
    • 1442 posts
    October 10, 2018 12:03 AM PDT
    Been thawing ground beef and now thin sliced chicken. I'll need to do a weekly menu with freezer items.

Trying to use up whatever we have- rice, pasta, eggs, canned cream of soups, veg, apples, bananas, bread, shredded cheese.

We told DS1 to take a box of frozen burgers to his friend's home as he wanted them but doesn't anymore.
    • 3910 posts
    October 14, 2018 5:43 PM PDT
    chicken strips, frozen pizza, bread, cereal, fruit..the usual. taco shells, pork/beef ground mix, taco seasoning, cheese. fruit somethings come in and out fast.

frozen corn, ice cream, apple pie, hotdogs. ramen noodles chips. cookies
    This post was edited by marthamfi at October 14, 2018 5:47 PM PDT
    • 2308 posts
    October 14, 2018 10:06 PM PDT
    We are still eating out of the pantry. I am down to the last 6 pounds of ground beef from Zaycon. I have plenty of beef and fish. I will have to buy chicken soon. I'm trying to make room for a turkey and a ham for Thanksgiving.
    • 1624 posts
    October 18, 2018 9:21 PM PDT
    I laid out a bg of cooked chicken from last month to make chicken and noodles. this weekend. I need to use some of this stuff up before my next food pantry appointment on the 30th.
    • 3910 posts
    October 23, 2018 1:43 PM PDT
    froze the ham and ham bone. threw out unopened cottage cheese and sour cream that got lost in the back of the fridge and expired. some veggies too. have other expired things that need to go too slowly cleaning them out and the pantry too.

used up fruit and veggies, tater tots, cheese, milk, bread, ice cream, pasta, the usual. some cans of tomato soup. lunch meat.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at October 23, 2018 1:44 PM PDT
    • 3910 posts
    November 3, 2018 9:17 PM PDT
    greens went in compost. radishes got eaten, pie pumpkin rotten so compost with some other stuff like peppers. baked the other 3 squashes. some out dated yogurt and condiments gone.

potatoes, leeks, bread, cheese, pasta, peanut butter, honey. cake mix, frosting. frozen french fries. of course candy cus halloween and chips. big bags too, juice boxes, hotdogs etc. lunchmeat. sausage. can of beans

• 1442 posts
    November 5, 2018 9:32 PM PST
    I threw out a bowl of stew and some spaghetti sauce.

DH is thawing a chicken. I have frozen sausages in the crock with tomato sauce.

We've gone through bananas, apples, cereal, bread, eggs, coffee, tea, gallons of water, deli meat, frozen mini tacos, frozen chicken bites and juice.
    • 3910 posts
    November 10, 2018 9:19 AM PST
    frozen shrimp, chicken thighs, bunch of veggies, rest of pound cake to the crows this morning. some single frozen entrees.

usual cereal, milk, cheese, lunchmeat, dd mac n cheese cups. apples and bananas, yogurt.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at November 10, 2018 9:19 AM PST