Forums » In the Kitchen

SEPTEMBER 2018 Food budget meal plan abd prep

• 1558 posts
    August 28, 2018 12:01 AM PDT
    Holy Smokes !!
    September is fast approaching where is 2018 going in such a big 'ol hurry?

What is your food budget going to be? Any plans to start stocking up for winter or holiday meals/baking?

Share your plans here.

Angie
    • 1434 posts
    August 28, 2018 6:25 AM PDT
    Now that I am getting around I hope to stock up some. Took inventory of my freezer and found tons of sausage and chicken breasts. Too much. DH has been doing the shopping.

Not well rounded at all. I will be looking for some beef sales this month. I don't like keeping frozen fish and we will buy that as I go. I will buy a few more frozen vegetables than what I have been buying.

I actually stuck to a menu plan this past week which saved us from eating out.

Not ready for holiday baking and I will wait for the sales to start.
    • 1343 posts
    August 28, 2018 8:35 AM PDT
    I am hoping for ham to go on sale at some point. I'll spend $200- 250 on meats/veg and hope to get paper products from Costco.

• 3754 posts
    August 28, 2018 9:20 AM PDT
    I am planning on any of the back to school sales. dh loves his lunch snacks like fruit cups so I take advantage of any really good sales. Thanksgiving happens early October here so I know there is ham deals coming up.

Hopefully I don't spend as much but with my eating machine I will see.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at August 28, 2018 9:22 AM PDT
    • 2224 posts
    August 28, 2018 10:46 AM PDT
    I have a freezer full of meat so I will just stock up on canned veggies, frozen veggies and some canned beans. Hopefully hams will go on sale soon I need one for the winter. I plan on baking more during the cooler months since I won't be babysitting as much. I will have more time to do stuff.
    • 1558 posts
    August 28, 2018 10:48 PM PDT
    My food budget for September will be $100. I want to start picking up baking chips as I can find them on sale, thanks to the food pantry, I have some basic meats in the freezer- chicken, ground beef, stew beef, 2 ribeyes, a pork loin roast, chicken burgers, a pound of Italian meatballs, and some salmon filets, hamburger patties I also have turkey burgers, smoked sausage. I would like to add a few more packages of ground meats ( turkey and/or beef) to the freezer before winter sets in. But I do want to use up as much of the meat I already have on hand to make room for the meats I like to use for soups, stees, and chili in the colder months. Still trying to come up with a decent meal plan that I won't get bored with. Will post it as soon I get it finished.. ;-)

Angie
    • 3754 posts
    September 4, 2018 12:47 PM PDT
    well $256.87 later at the grocery store. after $82 on sunday (though there was a bunch of food for waterslides lunches) caselot sale at local store that is a good one. if anyone bugs me after this for food ... includes about 40 or so bucks for pet litter canned cat food. ds went to walmart to get the dry food because store doesn't carry it. 14 there. sensitive stomach one. and allergy pills. dish soap etc. everything is on sale that I bought.

bogo highliner breaded fish 16.99 for both, scheiders corden bleu 6 pack bogo $10 ...since a 2 pk can be 6.99 12 for 10 bucks is good. turns out didn't really need the tomato soup but 12 for 6.99. 14 for big pork loin on sale 1.99 on sale. 12 pks kleenex $10 like good ones. cheap is hard on the nose. 24 dlbe rolls tp ultra storebrand. 5lb jar of kraft pb for 8.99 cases of cheezies, mini bags chip ahoy, rice krispy squares,applesauce, wagon wheels for lunches, box of kcups for dh. plus all the reg stuff. yogurt, bread , fruit, lunch meat, choc on sale..tortilla chips, cheese, as I said stocked. and good variety of meats.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at September 4, 2018 12:59 PM PDT
    • 2224 posts
    September 4, 2018 4:55 PM PDT
    I went to the store on Friday and spent $50 to just get the essentials. We are stocked up really well on meat and pantry staples. Just need to keep buying the perishables.
    • 2224 posts
    September 13, 2018 1:55 PM PDT
    I spent $168 on groceries today. I have plenty of food to last awhile. This includes paper products and cleaning supplies. The freezer is still full of meat.
    • 3754 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:56 PM PDT
    well a couple hundred dollars more in the store. stockup in the states,dollar deals milk bread runs. fruit joys of runs. reduced meat
    think has to be $600 in the last few weeks. so no whining we don't have anything to eat from the peanut gallery