Forums » General Chat

Thrifty Tuesday 7 August

• 468 posts
    August 7, 2018 7:07 AM PDT
    Still warm but a fresher feel to the weather today, thank goodness although in London they are still experiencing very high temperatures with thunderstorms in the offing. I have just packed for my 3 night stay in London, with layers and a raincoat. No doubt I will have the wrong things! I always pack an extra outfit for travelling home that I don't put on until the last minute. I love my DGD to bits but those sticky little hands and kisses are a wardrobe wrecker! When she was a baby in the high chair and at the age of chucking food around I once travelled back with a lump of dried porridge in my hair that I didn't discover until I reached home.

Just a bit of money out today for essential toiletries. I am going to cook a veg and bean chili for dinner tonight and freeze the surplus. I am taking it easy this afternoon as it will be full on in London, so I will relax while I can.
    • 2275 posts
    August 7, 2018 7:25 AM PDT
    Babysitting again today. Grandson is already up. We are going to do arts and crafts a little later this morning. My BFF is bringing her grandson over to play and then they are doing arts and crafts. They will have lunch together and then my 2 will take a nap. Dinner tonight will be quiche.
    • 3840 posts
    August 7, 2018 8:08 AM PDT
    good morning all. have a good time in london magsuk. remember those days. had to deal w a meltdown from a kid at camp friday lived though them before. quiet day here ! dh back at work so real vacation starts lol. love him but he doesn't know how to mellow out sometimes. got his lowest score in bowling yesterday cus rushing. saw jurassic world at cheap theater good effects not much plot so cheap theater works.

stopped and saw his mom after and put up her paintings from the old place. she thinks "people" have changed the pics but still wanted them up. also discovered her disney vhs tapes out in the common area. she loves her disney collection so they weren't to be donated and I clearly marked the boxes so sil has a hand in that. would be nice to have a week off from her.

on the news someone didn't want to pay for getting her nails done so salon locked her in the store until the police came and she was freaking out and called her parents who were filming too. when do people learn that technology can record your bad behaviour. nothing wrong w nails.

suppose to be in the high 80s today so air conditioning! though have heating pad on sore back. ds friend and him going to park pool later. will see if can use the free pass there. csa to pick up tonight. housework to do and the mountain of laundry to start on. bed to strip. no chores done yesterday. dh was happy.

think dinner is leftovers from sun steak corn and potatoes. steak needs recooking. dh just can't cook meat on bbq so fat uncooked on it etc and tbones. he either shoe leathers or undercooks..doesn't understand you cook medium not on low heat.. I am not allowed to bbq so now I am because it was a waste of a steak. said he takes after his mom her steaks would still be mooing..and her roast beef would be overdone.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at August 7, 2018 8:24 AM PDT
    • 2257 posts
    August 7, 2018 8:32 AM PDT
    Tuesday’s Greetings! Another sultry summer day on tap for us with the probability of afternoon thunderstorms.

It has been a busy day since we got a very early start this morning mowing another area of the property and picking up limbs and pine cones. I am beyond tired already, but after a brief rest, I will finish up the regular house tasks (bed is made, master bathroom is swiped) and then I will shower and crash. The remainder of the day will be “me time” to rest, read and reflect. The major advantage of my staying at home is that there will be no money spent. Supper will be vegetable soup (from the freezer) and Ritz crackers. Have a terrific day.
    • 2788 posts
    August 7, 2018 1:12 PM PDT
    Met BFF for quick lunch. Very hot so I am back home in the cool. I think I have picked up a slight virus so I am going to take as aspirin and try to rest. I made chicken and dumplings last night for DH and he has plenty left for tonight. A load of laundry to do after the laundry room is no longer in full sun.
    Mags-Have a nice trip tp London, even if it's a busy one.
    kim
    • 1402 posts
    August 7, 2018 10:46 PM PDT
    Mags- Wishing you safe travels to London. Maybe one day I'll get to go.

Got a job promotion into management. Hope it goes ok.

Taking DS2 to the college this week to drop off things, buy books and transfer credits.

Weather has been humid. Not super hot, just muggy and warm. We still have the AC on.
    • 1491 posts
    August 8, 2018 6:11 AM PDT
    Have a nice trip to London, Mags! Congratulations on the promotion Lisa! 45 and overcast this morning. High of 87 today with extreme fire danger due to it being very dry. Very smoky here from the fires west of us. Been having to take Benadryl periodically because of it and fall allergies. The leaves are already turning. Car is still in the shop. The lift in the service bay broke with a truck on it, so they couldn't work on my car. Hopefully today. Also haircuts for both of us today, so may be an expensive day. Chicken thawing for dinner tonight. I hope everyone has a great day. Jill