Forums » General Chat

Self disciplined Saturday & Sunday 7/7-7/8

• 297 posts
    July 7, 2018 5:26 AM PDT
    How are you making the most of your money and resources??
    This post was edited by nanagainagain at July 7, 2018 5:30 AM PDT
    • 297 posts
    July 7, 2018 5:30 AM PDT
    Today is going to be a busy one for me complements of dc I'm taking dd and bff to Comic Con in a little over an hour, right now they're at bff's house getting dressed up. I have to stop @ the cu before I pick them up. Doors open @11 but I want to be there early so we can get in before it get to packed.

Tonight is dd's night to cook a lot of that will depend on how tired she is when we get home lol
    This post was edited by nanagainagain at July 7, 2018 5:31 AM PDT
    • 480 posts
    July 7, 2018 5:48 AM PDT
    I spent the morning doing housecleaning and changing beds. I am preparing for the possibility of blurred vision for a few days after my cataract surgery by trying to get ahead of myself.
    • 480 posts
    July 7, 2018 5:48 AM PDT
    I spent the morning doing housecleaning and changing beds. I am preparing for the possibility of blurred vision for a few days after my cataract surgery by trying to get ahead of myself. I bought a newspaper this morning as I read the papers online but treat myself to a 'real' paper on Saturdays and that should be the only money out today.

The whole country is preparing for the England v Sweden world cup match this afternoon. Most of the local shops are closing early so that their employees can watch the game - good for them. At the moment I am watching the tennis at Wimbledon as Nadal (my favourite) plays De Minaur but at 3.00 pm I will switch over to the football. I made a tuna sandwich for lunch and dinner tonight will probably be a salad of some sort.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    This post was edited by magsuk at July 7, 2018 5:55 AM PDT
    • 2298 posts
    July 7, 2018 9:07 AM PDT
    I need a few things from the grocery store so I will go to Dollar General and use the $5 off $25 coupon. The rest of the weekend will be spent watching baseball and working on my craft projects. Dinner will be pulled pork sandwiches and sliced cantaloupe.
    • 3883 posts
    July 7, 2018 10:09 AM PDT
    magsuk my mom and friends said no real blurry vision more that you can't look down the first couple of days and the sunglasses you need to wear. retired don't listen too to much negative talk wrecks the week.

kids got invited for a day by the lake by friends so finally they are off and out. the rain that was suppose to happen last night is happening this morning. big downpour so no watering for me. working this weekend. dh has to buy more jeans that aren't blue but other colours. not allowed this summer to wear blue jeans during summer break because a parent may see them..so only coloured so of course his coloured ones are too worn for work. wants a haircut. need dry cat food so can get it from walmart with jeans.

we need milk but that is about it. not sure what is for dinner yet will see maybe pick up frozen pizzas if any are good and cheap. no kids for dinner so maybe go out. will see.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at July 7, 2018 10:16 AM PDT
    • 480 posts
    July 7, 2018 10:33 AM PDT
    Martha - thanks for that. I'll make sure I have my sunglasses to hand.
    • 939 posts
    July 7, 2018 11:52 AM PDT
    Happy Weekend to All. Overcast, high of 81 today. Woohoo. Very strong storms all around late yesterday afternoon. We were the recipients of very beneficial rain but not the lightening and winds. Sometimes being in the donut hole works in our favor.

Awake at 4:30 AM - ugh. DH woke up at the same time. Didn't have to water this morning. Picked 2 cucumbers and a few beans.

Early trip to the grocery store to pick up the specials. Was able to use a few coupons on the sale items. All paid for with the gift card which still has a balance on it. Self discipline is when I ignored the ice cream and Cabernet calling my name throughout the store, lol.

Spending money to save money department - DH dropped his phone about 10 days ago and broke the screen. He wasn't able to fix the phone after numerous attempts. We went to the Cricket store this morning where he bought a new basic Smart phone like mine (transferred from AT&;T which now owns Cricket). Money out up front on the cc but will pay for itself in 2 months because of a lower monthly charge.

Already had a short nap. Church tomorrow morning.

This post was edited by LNBee2 at July 7, 2018 11:53 AM PDT
    • 1623 posts
    July 7, 2018 12:22 PM PDT
    I am going to work on my last paper for my current class today. I had an unexpected visit from a home health care nurse, which is part of my PCP's referral for in-home OT and PT. SO I didn't get to sleep in as late as I'd hoped to this morning. lol The weather here is dry, sunny and comfortably cool. Almost too cool for July 7th, but after the last 2 weeks of heat and humidity, I am not going to complain at all. It's nice getting some fresh air in my apartment. Criminal Minds is on all day today, so I will watch when I can, between other chores and homework... Tony is back to work next week he's on his way to Albuquerque, NM today. I think I will finish off the steak I made last night and make another baked tater for my dinner tonight. Since it will still be cool tomorrow, I think I will make the meatloaf I had planned to make last week. Need to start thinking about my meal plans for the 2nd half of July as well. Depending on far I get with my school work today, I may chop my lettuce and other salad veggies up.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Angie
    • 2806 posts
    July 7, 2018 12:23 PM PDT
    Martha-I think you have me and Angie mixed up.
    I did get to spend time with BFF last night although not as much as we wished. She was tired and still a bit sick and I was having a mild anxiety attack.

DH has taken the clothes to the laundry for me so I will start on them when it cools off. Also have some dishes to wash.

Ball game this afternoon and a race tonight. I will probably fall asleep during the race. LOL.
    I need to rethread my machine and work on another project. Darn those holes on the needles are so small!
    kim
  • July 7, 2018 2:50 PM PDT
    MagsUK, when I had my cataract surgery in October and November of last year, I was advised not to lift anything over 5lbs for 3 weeks, to not bend down with my head lower than my shoulders. Said to bend at the knees and to wear a patch on the operated eye at bedtime so you don't rub your eye in your sleep. Also had eye drops to start 2 days prior to the surgery and for 3 weeks afterwards. There is no actual cutting of any blood vessels so not actually surgery like when you have a limb operated on etc. The procedure only takes 20 minutes and you spend more time in the waiting area getting all the drops in the eye than the actual time in the OR. At least that is how it was for me.
    Glad at times that I live alone, this early am was one of those times. LOL, It was Fart city in my bedroom, honestly I could feel my tummy deflate with every passing of the gas. Have no idea what brought it on as did not eat anything remotely weird or unusual. My tummy has a mind of its own and will sometimes just go wonky all by itself. Luckily it stopped by the time it was the time to go to work. Yesterday the boss's wife was in as well as today. Co worker had the day off yesterday and already had today scheduled off. It was a lovely treat to have the boss's wife in 2 days in a row. We get on very well and had a good old natter in between getting the work done. Today it was busier than yesterday morning so not as much down time to chat. Still got all the work done and left the office at 1:07pm. That is a good time for a Saturday. Breezy today and I have just had lunch, going to have a nap and then do some chores. Have a good one everybody. Sally.
    • 3883 posts
    July 7, 2018 6:45 PM PDT
    oops you are right retired needle holes are way too small! yes angie limit the negative. sounds like your mom will have to go into a home anyways unless she gets homecare.

magsuk everyone over there must be celebrating big time with the win.

dh is over at neighbours. he stopped by work so we went for lunch at cheap mexican place there. good healthy food. he got some coloured jeans plus socks and underwear and cat food. enough clothes shopping for the year for him. think he is helping the neighbours now. picking the kids up after campfire.

This post was edited by marthamfi at July 7, 2018 6:49 PM PDT
    • 1623 posts
    July 7, 2018 8:27 PM PDT
    Got my paper started and will finish it up tomorrow- it's due Monday night. I warmed up the other half of the steak I made last night and made another baked potato for my dinner tonight. After I ate, I washed the few dishes, and decided to deep clean my microwave!! It really needed it badly!! I need to write a conclusion paragraph for my group assignment as well tomorrow. Shouldn't take me too long, but never can tell with me. LOL

I'll try to check in tomorrow... ;-)

Angie
    • 297 posts
    July 8, 2018 5:37 AM PDT
    Comic Con was a blast we got there an hour early but the wait paid off we were the among the first people let in. It was set up in 4 different areas 1/2 at the hotel and 1/2 at the mall across the street (sky bridge). The kids got loads of complements on their costumes and attended a lightsaber workshop. There is a local marshal arts studio that offers classes on how to use lightsabers. Right before the workshop started dd's bff turned to me giggling at how "geeky" they felt at the moment. We spent a total of 6 hours at the Comic con and only spent $35 at the mall, $15 was for lunch for the 3 of us, $15 was for 3 lbs of Lint chocolate truffles and $5 for the kids souvenirs.

Today is going to be a home day tomorrow I ship dd off to camp for a week so I have to get the laundry done and help her pack. I need to mow the lawn as well.

If all goes right ds#2 will be by to cook supper and spend time with his sister. If he can't make it I'll make hot dogs on the fire pit.

• 3883 posts
    July 8, 2018 10:32 AM PDT
    should be mellow day today. sunny today. kids had fun yesterday at the lake kayaking etc and have another activity with friends this afternoon. they can bring watermelon for snack.

working today. chocolate so of course popular. dh not feeling well been overdoing it since he was sick. telling him to take it easy. got some gas yesterday didn't flll up too pricey. kids can do dishes and take out garbage. kids still sleeping.

have to tie up the flowers..postman complaining again..considering the post corp keeps trying to cancel home delivery you would think they would not whine about a couple of stalks of flowers the hummingbirds like. supervisor coming out tomorrow morning to see the problem.

don't know what is for dinner yet dh and I didn't end up eating last night.

This post was edited by marthamfi at July 8, 2018 10:42 AM PDT
    • 2298 posts
    July 8, 2018 11:18 AM PDT
    It is going to be another stay at home day. It is supposed to be around 102 degrees, too hot to be outside. I have laundry going and one more load to do. The house is clean so I will work on my craft projects and watch the ball game
    • 1623 posts
    July 8, 2018 12:25 PM PDT
    Martha... lol I didn't even catch that you had confused mine and Kim's posts... duh... About my mom's negativity... I totally get where it's coming from. I've been there done that to a degree. After my stroke, I thought and acted like my life was over. Luckily, I had a Physical therapist who refused to accommodate my self-imposed pity party. I told her she was allowed to grieve, be sad, pissed off m etc. but she needed to change her attitude. While I do think her going to a skilled nursing facility would be in her best interests, even for just a month or two. So my sister and I could maybe get moms condo modified to meet her needs so she can have a modicum of independence. I had suggested a wheelchair ramp from her from door to her driveway before all the amputation surgeries even began. She was adamant that she was NOT going to need one once she got her prosthetic. The thing is if she would eat better and work on building up her strength, bone density, etc. she could still possibly get a prosthetic, but once the Dr. said he wasn't sure if she'd be a good candidate for one, she instantly gave up on the possibility. So not she's back to eating the crappy diet. everything fried and flavored in bacon grease, canned spam and potted meat sandwiches, kool-aid, and coffee by the gallons, bags of Fritos and Doritos in 2 days or less. I mean I get that each of us has comfort foods from time to time, but they don't make up 90% of our daily calorie input. When I was there, I mixed up a big batch of salad greens (romaine and baby spinach) for both us I put her arse to work slice cukes, and bell peppers, and rough chopping Roma tomatoes. I made us each a big chef salad, complete with a few bacon bits, cheese, and hard-boiled eggs. I made her peel the eggs and slice those too. lol That was our lunch the day I fell in her kitchen. But I sat and watched her pick out every leaf of baby spinach from her salad. I just shook my head.. She got snippy telling me I don't like spinach and I told that. To which I said, FINE!! I am just trying to get you to eat a little healthier and boost your immune system as your leg heals. She just turned 66 and if she makes it to 70 it will be a miracle. She is 5' tall and weighs just 88/89 pounds!! And even though I am slightly taller and over 300 pounds, I guarantee that my overall health is 99% better than hers. She drinks Boost and/or Ensure shakes because that's what her doctor told her to do. I am sure he/they recommended them in addition to a healthy balanced diet, and NOT in lieu of eating regular foods, etc. UGH!!

Anyway, my plans today re to work on my school assignments and take a peek at my new class that starts on Tuesday. I need to finish putting on my clothes and other laundry away as well.

Will check in again later... I hope!!

Angie
    • 1505 posts
    July 8, 2018 12:44 PM PDT
    Sunny and hot here, supposed to be 89 today. Supposed to be warmer than usual for the next week or so. Got home from not-so-great vacation Friday. It was 93 then. The portable air conditioner runs at night in our bedroom. The first part of vacation (last weekend) with my relatives was great. Then we went to Des Moines to visit FIL. And over the weekend they got 10 inches of rain in a few hours, so FIL's basement was 2 feet deep in water. The power was out so his sump pump couldn't run. So we spent Tuesday through Thursday working on cleaning out his basement. We didn't get very far. It was in the 90s with heat indexes of 100 or more, so couldn't work very long. We aren't used to humidity anymore and it was swampy humid. DH arranged for the city to pick up what we put out on the curb next week. He's also going to pay someone to finish cleaning out FIL's basement, remove the drywall and power wash the whole thing. It won't be cheap, but there's mold in there because FIL didn't clean it out after the last flood. Trying to get a head start back to work by going through my hundreds of emails and seeing how stressed out I'm going to be tomorrow. Pork roast with bbq sauce in the crock pot. I hope everyone has a great day. Jill
    • 2806 posts
    July 8, 2018 6:38 PM PDT
    Load of towels in the dryer and about a third of a load waiting in the washer until I can get a full load. Still haven't finished the dishes.I am going to make DH a chicken casserole to put in the fridge for him in a bit so I will work on the dishes then. Early night for me I hope. My bad eye has been achy most of the day and I just want to get it in the dark. Of course I guess it really IS already in the dark since no vision, but y'all know what I mean.
    kim
    • 421 posts
    July 8, 2018 6:45 PM PDT
    Hi all, checked in a few times, been busy here.
    Hope everyone is doing we;.
    Susan
  • July 8, 2018 7:19 PM PDT
    Here is a photo of Sam at 39 weeks and 49 inches around.
    This post was edited by SandrapreviouslySallybabe at July 8, 2018 7:19 PM PDT
  • July 8, 2018 7:21 PM PDT
    She tans very easily hence the brown legs and feet!!!! Me I burn as does my youngest daughter Katrina. Sally
    • 3883 posts
    July 8, 2018 9:16 PM PDT
    yep angie sometimes they can act like kids. sally I can see why she can't wait until the end! I always wondered why people said can't wait for the baby then I got pregnant..mother nature sure makes sure you tired of being pregnant.

wow jillibean..you need a vacation from your vacation. glad you checked in susan.

dh went back to walmart and exchanged his jeans (woke up to the fact he is 38 not 36 inches around the waist I normally buy them lol) and went to costco so got some milk etc. and hot dog fixings. I asked why cus we have a lot but he forgot. not feeling welll. his mom said no way say away when heard his sore throat. I got a couple of things from the store too.

pissed off the meat manager at the store asking why their beef prices were so high..sirloin steaks reg 18.99 a lb on special for 11.99 ..plus other beef pricey. though not far from where i live I have more options closer. of course he has no control over prices. but seriously when 3 steaks are from 30 to 50 a pack for a couple lbs of meat. even marinating steaks as they called them 8 to 10 a lb. another chain has grass fed strip sirloin steaks 8 bucks a lb on special. the good stuff. and chicken thighs 1.98 a lb on special not 3.49 on special. and they have good meat too.

lawn is mowed so looks way better now. keeps neighbours happy. flowers tied up watching son of bigfoot. they had hotdogs for dinner.

This post was edited by marthamfi at July 8, 2018 9:28 PM PDT