Forums » TDS Pantry Challenge

Summer Pantry!! 2018 Share !

• 3850 posts
    June 6, 2018 7:08 AM PDT
    Share your challenges? plans to help your pantry... csa? garden? can or freeze fruit. plans to beat the heat but still be frugal? Always hard to be inspired to cook in the heat.
    • 3850 posts
    June 6, 2018 7:14 AM PDT
    well freezer open.. so made pulled pork from defrosted roast, ds made hamburger helper, used box of chicken strips, pizza. berries. box of hamburger helper. cool whip. juice boxes , cheese, crackers.

some fruit into compost and tomatoes, frozen corn, frozen pancakes used up, plus syrup. bread, dairy the reg stuff. veggies and teryaki steaks from freezer and turkey kabobs for people over for dinner plus hamburger, onion mix. for flavour. marshmellows.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at June 6, 2018 7:17 AM PDT
    • 1544 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:21 PM PDT
    My goal this summer is to use most of the meats in my freezer and what I get from my food pantry appointments; should be able to keep the food budget under $80 each of the next few months. I should only need to pick up fresh produce dairy and frozen foods, and the occasional package of meats ( usually bacon or breakfast sausage). I go n the 22nd to my food pantry appointment. She's pretty good about what I like as far as meats go, ;)

Angie
    • 1441 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:51 AM PDT
    I have a side by side ref/freezer. I organized a bit yesterday, threw out a few things, and found a whole oven stuffer I didn't know I had. Lots of pork and hamburger. A ton of sausage and I just bought more! $149 a lb. and DH loves his sausage. Time to stop buying. Chicken and fish needed. Steaks if I get them on sale. $21 for a small T-bone I saw at the store last week! I will not spend that. Produce and dairy.
    • 1338 posts
    June 14, 2018 8:39 AM PDT
    I've been using frozen items for dinner- ground beef, chicken, ham. DH is thawing what looks like prime rib.

I got more frozen meats- hamburger patties/hotdogs/kielbasa/meatballs/chicken/
    steak. Sale was good so why not.

I cook no matter the temps outside. We don't eat much salad or veg- I cannot due to digestive issues. Spinach is ok but everything else causes too much pain.
    • 2113 posts
    June 23, 2018 6:38 PM PDT
    Im trying to use up my frozen berries from last year. I made blackberry jelly and raspberry jam. I have some peaches that are probably going to get thrown. They dont look good. Really trying not to spend any money on food except for milk, bread.

Babs
    • 3850 posts
    July 2, 2018 7:10 AM PDT
    I ended up throwing out berries from last year. seems all i do is shop ... but now stocked up and want to use up stuff before our holiday. all school stuff is over so no buying for that.

crows have been getting leftover meat, lunchmeat , pizza, etc. fruit mainly bananas into the compost and moldy bread mostly. some greens.

lots of thing bought and used up like at least 6 bags or more of mandarins. apples, used beef kabobs, veggies from csa, hamburger, chicken, kd cups, , cookies, ice cream, chips, cheese, bread, dairy stuff of course. peppers, onions, mushrooms. chicken wings from freezer, pulled onion soup and spaghetti sauce from freezer.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at July 2, 2018 7:17 AM PDT
    • 1338 posts
    July 8, 2018 12:28 AM PDT
    Thawing out ground beef to make meals. Using smoked pork for green chili and chicken with leftover mushrooms for mushroom chicken. Last of shredded cheese in fridge. Will thaw meatballs and steaks, possibly stew meat.
    Bananas don't last and I bake them.
    Used apples, bananas, cheese, crackers, bread, milk, juice, pizza dough, meats, onions, ice cream, tea, coffee, broccoli/cauli.
    • 3850 posts
    July 11, 2018 10:29 AM PDT
    threw away the onion soup..dh what there was onion soup... some fruit and bread. some bits of old lettuce.

the usual stuff used up dairy , bread, ice cream, fruit perishables. from frozen lb of hamburger, a chicken, hotdogs, pasta, cheese, philly cheese steak sandwiches.

biscuits from a can, lettuce, mushrooms, zucchini, alfredo side dish kd, rice, smokies, pudding mix, frozen carrots. classico spaghetti sauce. tomato soup. all I can remember.

This post was edited by marthamfi at July 11, 2018 10:35 AM PDT
    • 3850 posts
    July 20, 2018 8:10 AM PDT
    well defrosted the upright freezer yesterday have lots of meat thankfully cool enough to turn on oven. 2 pillsbury cookies sets, last container of homemade spaghetti sauce, sausages, 4 burgers, pasta, pie shell used up. pizza , baked the seafood appy bites so lots for leftovers

reg dairy stuff ice cream, milk etc bread fruit yogurt cheese, chicken, veggies , cookies, kd cups, kd side dish, pudding mixes, granola bars, ribs fresh and precooked. pasta and alfredo sauce, frozen shrimp. hotdogs, ham lunch meat, swanson dinners

bananas , apples, bread, lettuce in compost or rose bushes or garbage, old pudding, pasta leftovers
    This post was edited by marthamfi at July 20, 2018 8:48 AM PDT
    • 3850 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:55 AM PDT
    since we bought food with us as well as shopping using up coffee, a taco kit, bacon, lb of beef, bag of shredded cheese , 2 kool aid packs and sugar I bought for them, sliced cheese, candy, cookies, case of pop, hotdogs.
    • 1338 posts
    August 5, 2018 12:13 AM PDT
    Threw out meatballs and a few ribs are overdue.
    We use a lot of bread/bananas but I did get sauce, peaches, ice cream, potatoes.....

DH thawed out a whole chicken to smoke and I'll thaw roasted chicken for another night.

• 2201 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:05 AM PDT
    We have used up some steaks, ground beef, chicken breasts, hot dogs, ham sandwich meat, crescent rolls and a bunch of vegetables this week. It's time to replenish the vegetables
    • 3850 posts
    August 8, 2018 5:47 PM PDT
    fruit, carrots, bag of thawed frozen fruit..old.. half a cucumber and bread in compost or garbage. rest of nuts in syrup and cool whip in garbage. choc loaf in garbage on vacay not sweet enough for kids. must be more.

shopped used up hotdogs, mac n cheese, ice cream frozen juice nugget potatoes, frozen corn, apples, bananas cereal, candy, frozen chicken kiev, frozen peas/carrots, precooked ribs/sauce. couples cans of tomato soup.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at August 12, 2018 8:51 PM PDT
    • 3850 posts
    August 14, 2018 6:56 PM PDT
    lemon herb chicken, spinach lettuce, bread, yogurt ice cream, 3 pks of kabobs. lunch treats.