Forums » TDS Pantry Challenge

Summer Pantry!! 2018 Share !

• 3723 posts
    June 6, 2018 7:08 AM PDT
    Share your challenges? plans to help your pantry... csa? garden? can or freeze fruit. plans to beat the heat but still be frugal? Always hard to be inspired to cook in the heat.
    • 3723 posts
    June 6, 2018 7:14 AM PDT
    well freezer open.. so made pulled pork from defrosted roast, ds made hamburger helper, used box of chicken strips, pizza. berries. box of hamburger helper. cool whip. juice boxes , cheese, crackers.

some fruit into compost and tomatoes, frozen corn, frozen pancakes used up, plus syrup. bread, dairy the reg stuff. veggies and teryaki steaks from freezer and turkey kabobs for people over for dinner plus hamburger, onion mix. for flavour. marshmellows.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at June 6, 2018 7:17 AM PDT
    • 1489 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:21 PM PDT
    My goal this summer is to use most of the meats in my freezer and what I get from my food pantry appointments; should be able to keep the food budget under $80 each of the next few months. I should only need to pick up fresh produce dairy and frozen foods, and the occasional package of meats ( usually bacon or breakfast sausage). I go n the 22nd to my food pantry appointment. She's pretty good about what I like as far as meats go, ;)

Angie
    • 1428 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:51 AM PDT
    I have a side by side ref/freezer. I organized a bit yesterday, threw out a few things, and found a whole oven stuffer I didn't know I had. Lots of pork and hamburger. A ton of sausage and I just bought more! $149 a lb. and DH loves his sausage. Time to stop buying. Chicken and fish needed. Steaks if I get them on sale. $21 for a small T-bone I saw at the store last week! I will not spend that. Produce and dairy.
    • 1275 posts
    June 14, 2018 8:39 AM PDT
    I've been using frozen items for dinner- ground beef, chicken, ham. DH is thawing what looks like prime rib.

I got more frozen meats- hamburger patties/hotdogs/kielbasa/meatballs/chicken/
    steak. Sale was good so why not.

I cook no matter the temps outside. We don't eat much salad or veg- I cannot due to digestive issues. Spinach is ok but everything else causes too much pain.