Forums » General Chat

Tremendous Thurday 17 May

• 468 posts
    May 17, 2018 3:56 AM PDT
    Angie - so glad that you have the funds to pay for your dental expenses. This kind of thing is a great worry when on a fixed income. Hasn't your DS done well? I hope you will hear equally good news of your DD soon.

I have spent a fruitful morning. My annual car breakdown/recovery insurance was due and I was quoted much more than I paid last year. I got on the phone, threatening to take my business elsewhere and guess what - they matched last year's price for me.

I am also trying and so far failing to pay for the MRI scan I had over a month ago. When I phoned the hospital they said they had no record of it (!!!) so I have sent an email trying to find out what it happening. If I think there might be a problem I send an email or letter and then keep a hard copy.

The sun is shining pleasantly although only a high of 60 so I will shortly throw a sandwich together and then decamp for a couple of hours to one of my local parks which has a large lake and plenty of wildfowl to see. I do miss my garden for just taking a bit of air so I am trying to get outside every day that the weather permits. On the way I will call in to see my pharmacist for his advice on taking vitamin D supplements. We get so little sunshine that we are now advised to take this vitamin regularly and as I am now living in a flat, I think it's probably even more important.

I am off to my local cinema again this evening to see Three Billboards. I missed it first time around.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    • 2257 posts
    May 17, 2018 5:59 AM PDT
    Happy Friday-eve! The same weather pattern here - hot, humid and the continued probability of rain.

I will run errands today: post office, library, bank, Walmart, Dollartree, and get gas for the car. Regular stuff to get done at home and laundry will be moved to another day. Money out today, but it should be a low spend to pick up a few necessary items at Walmart and Dollartree. Supper will be a sausage and cabbage casserole with peppers, onions and carrots served with brown rice. I hope everyone has a good day.

***Congratulations to all the 2018 graduates and their parents. This has to be a most exciting time for all of you as they will soon leave home and venture off to university life. So much fun! Oh to be young again...***
    • 1490 posts
    May 17, 2018 7:47 AM PDT
    Susan, I'm sure everyone reads your posts, so don't feel like you're being ignored. 47 and some overcast this morning. Thunderstorms and 66 this afternoon. Too busy to post yesterday. DH has done nothing but rant when he's working since he got back, so I've been closing my office door so I don't have to hear it. Ordered a pizza for dinner last night, but that was the only spending. There's enough left over for lunch today. May do the grocery shopping today. If so, that should be the only spending. Small steaks thawed for dinner. I hope everyone has a great day. Jill
  • May 17, 2018 9:22 AM PDT
    Good Morning All, I read all the posts but don't comment on everybody's post. I don't have time to do that. There are lots of members who could feel slighted that I don't answer or mention them. This is not a Twitter site whereby you answer comments instantly. Susan, you can't take it all personally. The more you whine and yes whining is what you are doing, the more people are going to be turned off by your comments and not answer you. A self fulfilling prophecy
    Sunny morning again here in Victoria. My late day today and so am moving slowly. Have 9 books at the library to pick up but will do so after work tonight. They are open till 9pm so I can go after I leave work at 8.15pm. Getting together Saturday evening for dinner with my 2 best friends and going to see the movie Book Club. That will be the 3rd movie in 2 months that I have seen. There will be lots of coverage of the Royal Wedding so will manage somehow to see that during the day too. Got my middle of the month bills all worked out and paid. Grocery items to get. Spent $52 last night getting some of them but still got more to get. Everything is running oout at once. Need razors, denture tablets, toilet rolls, fruit cups, gravy powder(Bisto) make-up, dishwasher tablets. Expensive items mainly of course.. Will look for sales and try to get them as cheaply as possible. Got the grandson Sunday to Monday afternoon too. Holiday Monday but I always have Mondays off but will actually get paid for it this time around. Love Stat holidays. OK off to get breakfast. Have a good day all. Cheers Sally.
    • 1602 posts
    May 17, 2018 9:36 AM PDT
    Mags, good luck with dealing with hospital concerning your MRI. hope it all gets worked out in your favor!!Will spend my day concentrating on my classwork; making discussion posts, etc.
    Tomorrow evening, I am hoping to attend the senior awards ceremony at my kids' high school. Judy called this morning, so we might be going together. I may splurge a bit and take her and maybe Randy out to dinner afterward. Judy is dying to get some time out and away from her hubby. lol, She said he's driving her crazy. Mom is finally having the hole in her belly, from where the feeding tube was removed almost 2 years ago. The fact that mom, as had this open wound on her belly and not gotten a severe infection from it, is a miracle. When I think about all the things my mom has just let go until the worse case scenario must be played out, I get so mad!! Not only mad at her but her doctors, etc. as well. Anyway, I doubt mom will be going home this weekend. but who knows...
    No money out today is planned, all food/meals will be from home as usual. ;)

Angie
    • 2788 posts
    May 17, 2018 4:19 PM PDT
    Over 90 today and I am a little queasy from the heat. I have to get DH's uniforms done but it's too hot in the laundry room until after dark.
    I only have one row left to sew together and then connect to the body of the quilt. Getting anxious to be finished with it.
    kim
    • 3840 posts
    May 17, 2018 5:25 PM PDT
    hope all is well...taking a break from making dinner. sunny now was overcast most of the day. you will love bookclub sally. yes they mention fifty shades of grey but really not really the focus of the movie more of a plot device. the trailers don't do it justice. angie exciting that your kids are graduating!

ds friend came over for some schoolwork and video games. went to get some groceries..stewing hen to make chicken soup for dd. normally 2 days but she can use the fat normally skimmed off. froze some. got the watermelon out. pasta for dinner.

dropped off the dvds at library too. watched the foreigner last night..a good thriller not a typical jackie chan movie. more drama. got tickets for deadpool 2 for date night.

just housework and laundry. and paperwork emails etc all those daily things. a popular tv channel wasn't working this week with lots of old shows mil watches gunsmoke etc. had a nice long talk with her. she is a lot more clear lately maybe because she has the decluttering to focus on. only one comment about visitors. she said she knows she needs to go to assisted living so sil doesn't have to worry about her..then she said dh..too..like sil would be there in the middle of the night or take her to emer... don't think parents realize how much damage they do playing favorites.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at May 17, 2018 5:48 PM PDT
    • 420 posts
    May 17, 2018 7:52 PM PDT
    Hi all, hope everyone had a good day. Sally , you are the whiner in here i don't care about you Brits or the wedding and your post are way to long.
  • May 17, 2018 8:37 PM PDT
    Oh really Susan, my posts are just about the same length as some other members. Guess I hit a nerve saying you were a whiner LOL. Believe what you will doesn't matter to me. Sally.
    • 1602 posts
    May 17, 2018 8:54 PM PDT
    Hi again all. I lied earlier... I placed an order at Walmart.com for some grocery items that can be shipped, Need to get some healthy snacks in her. I bought 3 bags of dry roasted lightly salted almonds. Nuts are expensive... but so good for you. ;) I also got a few bottles of their store brand Mio flavors for drinking water. Spent more than I planned to, but still less than if I was walking the aisles in the stores.

Anyway, I broke down and called my mama earlier. She was in good spirits. I was excited to tell her about Andy's plans for college, and she seemed excited to tell me that she tried tai chi today in PT. She seemed to really enjoy it. SO I might see if I can't find her a couple DVDs she can use to do it when she gets home. And she is considering getting herself an Alexa device because they are apparently cheaper than the life alert type devices. The funny thing? She's trying to talk me into getting Alexa too. lol!

Anyway, Susan and Sally.... we all whine on the forums. I swear if it weren't for having this refuge away from FB, I don't know what I'd do! I admit I usually kinda skim over posts at first. WhenI post I am usually taking a break from my classwork, Some days I post early and often, and other days I post late in the day It really does depend on my days, and my stress levels. lol, Lately stress has been through the roof. So I apologize to you all if I've ever offended or slighted you in any way. ;)

Angie