Forums » General Chat

Special Saturday &Sunday Stretching

• 258 posts
    May 12, 2018 4:06 AM PDT
    How are you making the most of your money and resources? Do you have special plans for the mother in your life? Does you family have special plans for you?
    • 258 posts
    May 12, 2018 4:20 AM PDT
    Today is going to be a running day for me. DD is attending a Bat Mitzvah today. The service part is @ 9:30 and the reception is later tonight. After I drop her off at the synagogue I'm going to quickly do the banking and maybe stop at the garage to see how much it's going to cost to replace the part that tripped the light this time.

After I pick dd up from the service we have to get the gc for the reception portion tonight. I have had to explain that this might be a birthday party for her friend but the gifts that are given aren't what you normally give at a birthday party.

While we're out gift shopping I'm going to grab a dairy queen gc for dm's mother's day present and hopefully get it in the mail this week. I'll also get a prepaid cc for ddil's mother's day and one for ds's b'day and grab the rest of dgs's bday present which is now a month late. If all works out they should go in the mail at the same time as dm's and they should have it before ds's b'day.

Supper tonight for me will be a burger out using a coupon while dd is having her fun at the reception..
    • 3647 posts
    May 12, 2018 8:36 AM PDT
    sunny here.. dd is a computer/science event for older girls today. have the urge to go across the border for new yarn.... so will see. dh says wait until he comes back and since ds is still asleep. dh cat woke him up early so he is tired they don't care about weekends.

got pizza yesterday so leftovers for dinner. tried defunking the teenage boy smell out of the couch..he spills on it too though it gets cleaned up right away. very tight weave fabric on the couch so tried lysol wipes. worked pretty well. will see if I can get my little green machine working. have a carpet cleaner but is an upright. washed the throws and pillows from it. area rug needs a cleaning but not this weekend.

time of the month so not doing much with the aches and seems dd is getting ds cold. so will see how the day goes.

This post was edited by marthamfi at May 12, 2018 8:41 AM PDT
    • 1438 posts
    May 12, 2018 9:51 AM PDT
    Rainy and blah day today, so doing some work trying to catch up after a week with many meetings. No spend day yesterday and no anticipated spending today unless I go to the grocery store. The car will need gas in a couple days too. Will have leftover homemade beanie weenies for lunch. Probably salad and tuna or egg salad for dinner. I hope everyone has a great day. Jill
    • 2772 posts
    May 12, 2018 1:01 PM PDT
    Sunny 82 degrees here right now.
    Angie-good news about your mom.
    After my injection Thursday I only took about a 2 hr nap. I thought I was going to get off lightly; but it hit me around 4 a.m. and I slept all day. DH said I talked to him a couple of times but I have no recollection of it. Doing better today, just a normal afternoon sleepy.
    I got the bottom row of the next quilt done yesterday evening. I hope to work on the next row this evening. My sewing room only has a ceiling fan so I have to pace myself when I work in there. And Sumo does not like the sewing machine for some reason and won't come in the room if I am in there sewing. He just sits at the door and pouts.
    DH is on OT again today and I am planning on a salad topped with baked chicken strips for his supper.
    kim
    • 1453 posts
    May 12, 2018 7:01 PM PDT
    Not much planned today or for the weekend, especially tomorrow. Got my check deposited but it won't be until Tuesday until any of it is available. I am NOT happy!! I wanted to order my mom a planter for Mother's Day, but I can't. I called the 800# for my bank; spoke to someone who told me that checks over $5000 are placed on hold for 7 days. So I will have to wait until after the 23rd to order my Nustep which means it will be mid-June before it's here. Luckily, I will be able to write both of my kids' checks for their graduation Part of me really wants to give $500 each; but then again I have no contact with or from them for 5 years, so I am rethinking that plan. Is that wrong of me?

I called my mom this morning to wish her a happy birthday, she was in good spirits, craving KFC, despite the fact she is on a cardio health diet. lol, I said maybe some coleslaw and a grilled chicken breast. She wants the fried, I said she'd have to have to remove the skin... she says that's the best part. LOL Finally got her to admit that even though she's small(petite) only 5'1" and 91 pounds; doesn't mean she's healthy. WOW!!! I told her no more Spam. and bacon and eggs for nearly every meal of the day. But now she's talking like she wants me to come down for a few days after she gets home. She wants me to cook for her, anything but salmon. Lol, but I can have salmon if I want it. lol If I go down there to stay with her, she will not be happy with me; I will get rid of her Kool-Aid, white bread, fried eggs, fried taters, fried everything. no more mystery meat bologna, etc. My mother eats crap foods constantly. She was transferred to the rehab facility this afternoon. It's the same place where Judy was. I looked it up online. It looks like a nice place. Mom says the phantom pains are getting to her. I told her it will take time for her brain to get the message that it's not there anymore. The good news is she doesn't seem to need or rely on pain meds. Since the severity of her pain has lessened thanks to the amputation Mom is much more pleasant. I can only hope and pray the change is a permanent one and that she doesn't get discouraged and/or wallow in self-pity when the hardcore therapy begins on Monday. That's something I used to do before my stroke; and now? nothing makes me madder than listening to and seeing someone feel sorry for themselves. I'll be working on school stuff most of tomorrow to hopefully keep my mind off of another mother's day without my kids. No money out all meals and food from home.

Angie
    • 2090 posts
    May 12, 2018 7:35 PM PDT
    'Angie, I would rethink it. You dont even know if their Dad would let them have the money for themselves. I would send them a smaller amount or a gift. You need to take care of your needs. They are now adults so hopefully they wil be able to contact you.

Good news that your Mom is doing so good so quickly. Praying for a speedy recovery for her.

Raining day here but we never got the hard downpours. I feel like the day was slow and I didnt get a lot done.

Babs
    • 3647 posts
    May 12, 2018 9:02 PM PDT
    maybe you should put the money into an account for them and send a note saying this is what you are doing. Do they get any of the money or presents? wow suprised your mom hasn't had heart problems. glad she is doing better.
    • 1232 posts
    May 12, 2018 11:51 PM PDT
    Happy Mother's Day!

My sister sent me flowers. 2 dz roses and very nice.

I purchased noodles/carrots/cereal/bananas for meals for the next few days. Will make chicken soup, noodles with beef, ziti and shepherds pie.

Angie- Hope your Mom improves everyday. Maybe send flowers to the rehab center or her home when she gets back? For the kids, try a company called personal creations. There are cool pillows and throws and you can put their names on them.. Your ex cannot keep that for himself......Plus, they're running a sale.

Retired- Are the injections for MS? My MIL takes one a week and it wears her out.

I put the chicken soup in the crockpot. I had frozen cooked chicken pieces and in they went. Carrots, broth and the mix. My stomach tolerates soup well.
    • 842 posts
    May 13, 2018 3:11 AM PDT
    Happy Mom's Day. Another hot, dry day in the low 90's. We got about 6 drops of rain from the storm the other night. Par for the course around here.

Daily necessary garden watering. Still picking strawberries every day but that is starting to wane. Pulled a few onions that DH started from seed last Fall - the bulbs don't get very big. Cut and dried any of the green shoots that were young and tender.

No church for me today. We have determined that those itchy bumps on my right arm are poison ivy and not a bug bite. It looks terrible and is just now starting to dry up. I wouldn't want to sit next to me with my arms looking like that.

DH just got up and is talking my ear off so will close while I can still concentrate. Everyone have a wonderful day.
    • 258 posts
    May 13, 2018 5:44 AM PDT
    Angie I'm with the others don't send the money to them. Maybe put it in an account for them or open an investment account in their names for when they contact you later on.

Yesterday I left the house @ 9 a to take dd to the Bat Mitzvah and didn't get back home till 4:45. I stayed home for an hour then took dd to the reception, grabbed a take burger and came home to relax. When I went back to get her (4 hours later) she wanted to stay longer and I had to drag her out. As soon as we got home I told her put on PJ's and relax. She grabbed a snack and sat down to watch netflix then realized how tired she was. She even agreed that my making her leave when I did was a good call. Lol

Today is going to be bitter sweet for me (and other mothers) I haven't had any contact with dk#4 in months and am trying my best not to worry about them. They're a grown adult and living their life. Dc is also going through much of the same situation with her youngest dd who won't allow her to see her dgd. Both of us are going to try to enjoy the day anyhow.

Today is my birthday and I'm going to start off with a free breakfast @ Denny's. Church is undecided at the moment. I might go or not part of it depends on if dd gets up in time or not.

Supper is going to be tbd. If dd wants to cook for me fine if not. It's my birthday and mother's day. I'm taking the night off!!!
    • 2772 posts
    May 13, 2018 7:12 AM PDT
    Happy birthday Nan!

Lisa- my injection is for my severe psoriasis.

DH just finished mowing the yard while it is cool. I am going out to see Momma around 11. I won't spend a long time there. It isn't me she wants to see anyway. It's my big brother. So she will be in a sour mood and I don't have to sit thru the griping.
    DH is taking me to Chinese buffet today as my Mother's Day gift from Sumo, Joe, Lily, and Cat. He says they have been saving their allowance. LOL
    We are going to just take it easy the rest of the day. He needs some down time before the 7 day weeks start up again Monday.

kim
    • 3647 posts
    May 13, 2018 9:25 AM PDT
    Happy Birthday Nan!! Happy Mothers day to everyone! just got up slept in because up late damn period too much pain so couldn't sleep until I could more meds. too old for this.

my friend and I are going to a comedy show about moms they even are doing it at 4 because of mothers day so we are going out for dinner after. since basically blank stares from dh went I mentioned mothers day plans last week..always gets gifts though. not sure if he is taking his mom out. needs to bring lilacs to her. curtains are her gift. my mom will ask if she wants me over with the kids..ds is at the tail end of the cold and now dd seems to have it. no housework cus mothers day. not that it won't be waiting for me lol but they will do dishes.

sunny and warm here. he got his tools and bits across the border and me more yarn and some fabric etc and some food and more yarn at walmart. dd had fun at her event.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at May 13, 2018 9:33 AM PDT
  • May 13, 2018 9:45 AM PDT
    Happy Mothers Day to all of you celebrating that today. Off to another bad start to the day- woke up with sour stomach. Ran to bathroom where I kept throwing up bile. Sorry if TMI. Breakfast is ginger biscuits, ginger ale, spoonful of yogurt with my acid reflux/antacid pill. Have luncheon date with my 2 daughters and grandson at 12:30pm so have to be better for that.
    Happy Birthday Nan, hope you have a lovely day. Bitter sweet memories, it is 9 years ago that my Dad passed away on Mother's Day and his memorial service was on Father's Day that year. I loved my parents but also hated them too. There was a lot of bullying going on at me when I was growing up both at school and at home and I still have a lot of resentment over that. Lived with it for my whole life and don't think it will ever go away. Don't understand how my youngest sister can gush about my Dad when after my Mum died, he beat the living crap out of her when he lost his temper one day. She ran away from home and her life was really bad for years. She was 15 when my Mum died and the only child still living at home. I was here in BC and the rest of them - the 2 sisters and Dad lived in Calgary. Middle sister had just gotten married and was with her hubby in their own house in Calgary. I am sure a shrink would have a field day with me!!!
    It is a nice sunny day and I have household chores to do but waiting for my tummy to settle down before I move around too much. Even a shower has to wait as I feel nauseous when walking around the room. Luckily the restaurant is only 6 minutes away from my house so I can wait a while before showering and getting dressed. Kim - isn't there a law that people have to have days off that they can't work 7 days a week? Your hubby sure works too many hours.
    Everybody have a nice day. Hugs Sally.
    • 1438 posts
    May 13, 2018 10:56 AM PDT
    Sally, I don't think there's laws about working 7 days a week. There are laws that the employer has to pay overtime if you work over 40 hours and are paid by the hour. If you're salaried like me there''s no limit to overtime and I don't get paid for it. However, if you're salaried your pay tends to be a little higher because you're expected to work overtime. Sunny today and a little warmer than yesterday. Had to run the heat twice yesterday and it ran another two times during the night. Worked most of the day yesterday. Apparently wasn't the only one on my team working because I got emails/IMs from a couple of them. Working today too, but hopefully not too long. I need to go to the grocery store for a few things. Need to put gas in the car too. DH still out of town but will get home Tuesday. I will need to pick him up at the airport. Hamburger thawed for dinner tonight. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I hope everyone has a great Mothers day. Jill
    • 2104 posts
    May 13, 2018 12:24 PM PDT
    We had planned a bbq for Mother's day but both of the grandkids came down with the stomach flu and DH wasn't feeling well either so it got canceled. We don't need to share this with everyone around us. I have company coming on Friday and don't need to be sick. We will bbq hamburgers tonight and just relax today
    • 431 posts
    May 13, 2018 6:11 PM PDT
    Hope most had a good Mothers Day. Busy here thought ds and i were cooking for 4 but ended up cookinf for 11-lol. Thankful i've learn how to make and stock a freezer and pantry on thia site. And sorry to hear some of you are under stress.
    Susan
  • May 13, 2018 7:56 PM PDT
    Had a nice lunch and gt together. Samantha and Hayden gave me a bunch of flowers, a lottery ticket and paid for my lunch. Katrina gave me a gift card to one of the local garden centres. I shall enjoy spending that card. I was going to go to Lowes but thought I'd wait to see if I got money/gift card and I did. The lottery ticket was a winner and I won $10 on it. I was able to eat a bun less burger and some minestrone soup, also I stole a couple of Sam's french fries. We all had a good time. Hayden was funny, apparently he told his parents that he wants to marry Nanna and was quite put out when he was told he could not do that. Then he said he'd marry his Mum and had to be told he could not do that either. I was tickled pink (quite amused) to hear that. Nice to know he loves his Nanna so much. I am having him next weekend, he asked for a sleepover again soon. Sally.
    • 1453 posts
    May 13, 2018 11:07 PM PDT
    I know they do have their own accounts(savings) so I am fairly certain they would get the money-I wouldn't be giving them cash I know better than that!! AS far as past gifts Xmas, birthdays, etc. I mailed gifts to them a couple years ago for their birthdays or Xmas- g received no acknowledgement, so the last presents are still wrapped and stored in my closet for now.

Martha- mom has had mostly vascular issues; although they did place a atent in her right carotid a littlwe over a year ago as it was 85% blocked, this was done just before her toes were amputated, so they decoded to hold off on the stent for the left carotid, but maybe they will do that procedure before she is discharged before it causes a stroke or heart attack. I did not get around oto calling her today because she had PT this morning and I didn't want to disturb or distract her. And I had school work to do. I will give her a call tomorrow morning before I tackle my last assignment of Judaism.

Will try to check in some time on Monday..

Angie
    • 3647 posts
    May 14, 2018 9:06 AM PDT
    at least she been taken care of.