Forums » Holidays

Shopping for Christmas 2014

• 326 posts
    August 11, 2014 4:03 PM PDT

We had this thread in the old forum so thought start one since I didn't find one.     Harder to buy things now with the kids getting older but put in an avon order and got my dd a silver necklace with a horseshoe on it. into horses. $20  $40 next brochure. plus a clearance xmas bracelet.  $4.

Since dd bday is close to xmas will see if it makes to xmas.    have some little things like mil favorite perfume put away for xmas.

• 18 posts
    August 11, 2014 8:03 PM PDT
    Great find! I learned today that DD might be required to have a decent camera for the Art program she will be starting shortly. She's been asking for a "paparazzi camera" (her words) for a while. It seems as though she might be able to borrow one from the school occasionally. Hopefully, I will be able to stall that purchase til Christmas
  • August 12, 2014 11:37 AM PDT

got dds a dolls i get them a doll each year my oldest loves it she gives he a doll a year my Daddy gave me a doll each year since he passed uncle sam does it he told dh it will be his job when he dies ...  John give one to Em and I give one to my aunt 

• August 12, 2014 11:39 AM PDT

I found the prettist  Christmas tree its a light pink with white tips.

• 47 posts
    August 15, 2014 9:47 PM PDT

I purchased 2 polos and 2 t-shirts on clearance with an additional 50% off for the kids so far. I like to get them a funny t-shirt as well and will search for them on clearance.

• August 26, 2014 10:40 AM PDT

got aunt the cutest tea pot with cups $ saucers for $10 at a yard sale and found a wonderful collection of braclets for the girls  .. 

found dh a jacket made out of heavy blanket got my self a great cape heavy with the cutest hat ... bet i give to Laney or Sarah    found Sarah a pair of wonderful boots she did want to buy them $125 i waited until the dd a half price sale 62.50 had a coupon for $40.00 got them down to $22.50 had a gift  card for $20.00 so they were $2.50  she would be proud ..

found those pull on hats that everyone wears in winter for $.10 a piece and long john in pink blue and white all sizes for $.50 a piece brought two boxes now Frank goes through them and he delivers them

i buy every fannel shirt I see at a thift store or yard sale I get a pile done this for years ...

and i start collecting socks buy couple packages ..  got a great deal local store would give a pack of socks with all the underware and t shirts  got every one at least one set ... have to get frank a couple dozen he loves them so .

• 47 posts
    August 27, 2014 10:13 PM PDT

Gayla, those are great bargains! I hope everyone enjoys them!

• 383 posts
    August 31, 2014 1:28 PM PDT
    Got a cute pair earrings for DD and a Ralph Lauren hoodie for DGD on clearance to put in my Christmas stash. I should be able to submit points for more gift cards soon. I am pleased with my progress to date.
    • 258 posts
    September 1, 2014 4:18 PM PDT

We're pretty far ahead for Christmas shopping right now. Just ordered another $9.99 pashmina scarf set off Amazon. The large scarf will go to MIL, and the smaller scarf will go to a co-worker I need to buy for, next in line under me. Looking for something cheap I can buy for the other 14 people under me...been keeping an eye out. Department supervisor normally gives everyone a Godiva chocolate bar...hate to give more sweets, but may end up doing so. 

• 105 posts
    September 4, 2014 12:06 PM PDT

I bought my first gift this week or at least one of my daughters did. She bought her sister a vanity she has been wanting from of her mommy tag sale site. It went over her budget by $35 and I am chipping in the rest. Not much but at least a start.

Everyone including the grandkids are getting hard to buy for. They seem to have everything they want or need.

• 49 posts
    September 13, 2014 5:04 PM PDT

I am about 3/4 done with Christmas shopping.  I have 16 people for whom I buy, & 12 of those are done.I realized last month that I will be "down & out" for most of the good sales with the 2nd knee surgery, so I ramped up the shopping.

Oldest DD requested multiple "Au Chocolate" hard lotion bars, so I bought in bulk. She also requested canning inserts & rings, & will get those for either her anniversary in Dec or her bd in Jan.  SIL is getting an "Amigos" DVD to help him learn Spanish.

DS & DIL are getting additional trays for their dehydrator & some fruit leather trays, since they are making their own jerky & have only 4 trays. DIL like fruit leather, so she should be happy with those.

Middle DD is also getting dehydrator trays, since she asked for them. She also has a new dehydrator. This SIL's gift is still in processing.

Youngest DD is getting two items she requested. She sometimes reads here :)

Extra GD is getting two instant cameras. She is 30, with a mental age of 6, & loves taking pictures. She is not our blood relative, but we buy 2 cameras for her every year. She will also get a hard lotion bar.

Youngest GD is getting 2 Swedish Dala horses (altho these ones were purchased 2nd hand, since she is almost 3, & will play with them). She loved playing "jumpy horse" with Grandpa, so we bought her a set of her own. She will also get a small hard lotion bar.

Middle GD is getting 4 more books. She & I read together over the phone every day, & the daily reading has moved her from one of the lower reading groups to the top one. She enjoys our reading together, but lives 3 hours away, so over the phone works. She will also get a small hard lotion bar.

Oldest GD has learned to knit. Last year she made a full length cloak, in camo yard, for her Halloween costume, & when it developed a few holes, I had her bring it with for her summer visit & we repaired it. She is getting a set of double pointed needles, & a cable stitch needle, as well as a small hard lotion bar.

Oldest GS is getting a "pi" t-shirt.  He loves math & is on the MathCounts team.

DH is getting a cross- stitch checker board with a checker set that he requested.  I started working on this cross stitch when our oldest GD was almost 2, & she is now almost 16, so it has been a while in the making. There are cows on half the checker board, & on one of them there is a red "A", that GD made sitting on my lap, 14 years ago, when her brother was a new baby. DH is also getting 2 Dala horses.

Youngest GS's gift is still in processing.

MIL & FIL gifts are still in processing.

• 47 posts
    September 23, 2014 9:13 PM PDT

I cashed in CC rewards for gift cards to Best Buy. Will buy a TV for the living room since sales are good around the holidays.. Kids will have fun hooking it up i'm sure.

Got kids a funny t-shirt and a card to amazon. Got some old comic books and USB 's for them. One USB has memory and glowing eyes but the other is strictly a toy- plug in this long octopus tentacle into the computer port and it wiggles and moves while the computer is on. Youngest will get a kick out of it as he does homework. i hope he can focus on work and not the tentacle but it will make him laugh.

Sister and family getting a walmart card so far. 

DH will get a starbucks card but not sure what else. He needs ties so I'll wait for a big sale.

• 18 posts
    September 27, 2014 10:30 AM PDT
    Bath & Body Works has some good online deals...some items are Buy 3, Get 3 free. The mini hand sanitizers are $5 for $5. Great stocking stuffers
    • 18 posts
    September 27, 2014 10:38 AM PDT
    It's October, and I haven't done much of my shopping yet. I was able to score some great deals on books earlier in the year. Today I bought my nephew's gift, a combination coin bank and alarm clock at 40% off. I exceeded my planned gift spending for this week, but it was a great deal and my nephew will love it
    • 105 posts
    September 29, 2014 6:55 PM PDT

Slow but sure. I bought my youngest adult daughter some nail wraps from a nail party. I also bought my youngest grandson a little tykes car. My daughter wants it for pictures she is having taken for her Christmas cards. I can't imagine what they are going to look like and he is only 9 months old but I will give it to her early for them.

• 955 posts
    October 6, 2014 11:13 AM PDT

I was cleaning out the closet and found a box full of stuff I forgot I had in there. It has been a hectic year but how could I forget stuff that I picked up on clearance and didn't give?

My loss last year has become my gain this year. I have a whole set of stuff to give my daughter and already paid for!! I will probably add a book, an art pad, new pencils, some bath products and call it a Christmas for her..spending this year..maybe $20 for her!!

• 383 posts
    October 6, 2014 4:13 PM PDT
    What a find, Brandy! It must feel really good to be ahead of the game.

I plan to order some pj's and a sweater online for one of my grown children this week. I have a coupon that I will use for Lands End to make the purchase.
    • 151 posts
    October 17, 2014 4:55 AM PDT

For my grandson, I bought a peg pereo John Deere electric ride on tractor and trailer on clearance last February at TSC for $60-65  regular $120.

I am in such turmoil, wanting to blow my budget so bad......I would love to get my DIL a kitchenaid mixer for $200 and my son a deer rifle he wants for $400............my main christmas budget is $100 per person and there are 5 people I buy for out of that. 

This post was edited by Cinnamonhuskies at October 17, 2014 4:57 AM PDT
    • 18 posts
    October 18, 2014 6:14 PM PDT
    Picked up another gift...budget $25 for the recipient, but stumbled into a store off the beaten path and found something appropriate - a wooden desk organizer on sale for $8! The box is in bad shape but the item is fine. Gift bag to the rescue!
    • 18 posts
    October 18, 2014 6:23 PM PDT
    Forgot to add that I picked up stocking stuffers - 2 body scrubs, going at 2 for the price of $1, as well as a purse sized atomizer for $1.50. I've also found a pair of headphones online marked down to $12 (half what I budgeted) for a boy on the list. I hope I find more deals like this. Great for my budget