Forums » Holidays

Shopping for Christmas 2014

• 506 posts
    August 11, 2014 4:03 PM PDT

We had this thread in the old forum so thought start one since I didn't find one.     Harder to buy things now with the kids getting older but put in an avon order and got my dd a silver necklace with a horseshoe on it. into horses. $20  $40 next brochure. plus a clearance xmas bracelet.  $4.

Since dd bday is close to xmas will see if it makes to xmas.    have some little things like mil favorite perfume put away for xmas.

• 50 posts
    August 11, 2014 8:03 PM PDT
    Great find! I learned today that DD might be required to have a decent camera for the Art program she will be starting shortly. She's been asking for a "paparazzi camera" (her words) for a while. It seems as though she might be able to borrow one from the school occasionally. Hopefully, I will be able to stall that purchase til Christmas
  • August 12, 2014 11:37 AM PDT

got dds a dolls i get them a doll each year my oldest loves it she gives he a doll a year my Daddy gave me a doll each year since he passed uncle sam does it he told dh it will be his job when he dies ...  John give one to Em and I give one to my aunt 

• August 12, 2014 11:39 AM PDT

I found the prettist  Christmas tree its a light pink with white tips.

• 73 posts
    August 15, 2014 9:47 PM PDT

I purchased 2 polos and 2 t-shirts on clearance with an additional 50% off for the kids so far. I like to get them a funny t-shirt as well and will search for them on clearance.

• August 26, 2014 10:40 AM PDT

got aunt the cutest tea pot with cups $ saucers for $10 at a yard sale and found a wonderful collection of braclets for the girls  .. 

found dh a jacket made out of heavy blanket got my self a great cape heavy with the cutest hat ... bet i give to Laney or Sarah    found Sarah a pair of wonderful boots she did want to buy them $125 i waited until the dd a half price sale 62.50 had a coupon for $40.00 got them down to $22.50 had a gift  card for $20.00 so they were $2.50  she would be proud ..

found those pull on hats that everyone wears in winter for $.10 a piece and long john in pink blue and white all sizes for $.50 a piece brought two boxes now Frank goes through them and he delivers them

i buy every fannel shirt I see at a thift store or yard sale I get a pile done this for years ...

and i start collecting socks buy couple packages ..  got a great deal local store would give a pack of socks with all the underware and t shirts  got every one at least one set ... have to get frank a couple dozen he loves them so .

• 73 posts
    August 27, 2014 10:13 PM PDT

Gayla, those are great bargains! I hope everyone enjoys them!

• 467 posts
    August 31, 2014 1:28 PM PDT
    Got a cute pair earrings for DD and a Ralph Lauren hoodie for DGD on clearance to put in my Christmas stash. I should be able to submit points for more gift cards soon. I am pleased with my progress to date.
    • 382 posts
    September 1, 2014 4:18 PM PDT

We're pretty far ahead for Christmas shopping right now. Just ordered another $9.99 pashmina scarf set off Amazon. The large scarf will go to MIL, and the smaller scarf will go to a co-worker I need to buy for, next in line under me. Looking for something cheap I can buy for the other 14 people under me...been keeping an eye out. Department supervisor normally gives everyone a Godiva chocolate bar...hate to give more sweets, but may end up doing so. 

• 205 posts
    September 4, 2014 12:06 PM PDT

I bought my first gift this week or at least one of my daughters did. She bought her sister a vanity she has been wanting from of her mommy tag sale site. It went over her budget by $35 and I am chipping in the rest. Not much but at least a start.

Everyone including the grandkids are getting hard to buy for. They seem to have everything they want or need.

• 131 posts
    September 13, 2014 5:04 PM PDT

I am about 3/4 done with Christmas shopping.  I have 16 people for whom I buy, & 12 of those are done.I realized last month that I will be "down & out" for most of the good sales with the 2nd knee surgery, so I ramped up the shopping.

Oldest DD requested multiple "Au Chocolate" hard lotion bars, so I bought in bulk. She also requested canning inserts & rings, & will get those for either her anniversary in Dec or her bd in Jan.  SIL is getting an "Amigos" DVD to help him learn Spanish.

DS & DIL are getting additional trays for their dehydrator & some fruit leather trays, since they are making their own jerky & have only 4 trays. DIL like fruit leather, so she should be happy with those.

Middle DD is also getting dehydrator trays, since she asked for them. She also has a new dehydrator. This SIL's gift is still in processing.

Youngest DD is getting two items she requested. She sometimes reads here :)

Extra GD is getting two instant cameras. She is 30, with a mental age of 6, & loves taking pictures. She is not our blood relative, but we buy 2 cameras for her every year. She will also get a hard lotion bar.

Youngest GD is getting 2 Swedish Dala horses (altho these ones were purchased 2nd hand, since she is almost 3, & will play with them). She loved playing "jumpy horse" with Grandpa, so we bought her a set of her own. She will also get a small hard lotion bar.

Middle GD is getting 4 more books. She & I read together over the phone every day, & the daily reading has moved her from one of the lower reading groups to the top one. She enjoys our reading together, but lives 3 hours away, so over the phone works. She will also get a small hard lotion bar.

Oldest GD has learned to knit. Last year she made a full length cloak, in camo yard, for her Halloween costume, & when it developed a few holes, I had her bring it with for her summer visit & we repaired it. She is getting a set of double pointed needles, & a cable stitch needle, as well as a small hard lotion bar.

Oldest GS is getting a "pi" t-shirt.  He loves math & is on the MathCounts team.

DH is getting a cross- stitch checker board with a checker set that he requested.  I started working on this cross stitch when our oldest GD was almost 2, & she is now almost 16, so it has been a while in the making. There are cows on half the checker board, & on one of them there is a red "A", that GD made sitting on my lap, 14 years ago, when her brother was a new baby. DH is also getting 2 Dala horses.

Youngest GS's gift is still in processing.

MIL & FIL gifts are still in processing.

• 73 posts
    September 23, 2014 9:13 PM PDT

I cashed in CC rewards for gift cards to Best Buy. Will buy a TV for the living room since sales are good around the holidays.. Kids will have fun hooking it up i'm sure.

Got kids a funny t-shirt and a card to amazon. Got some old comic books and USB 's for them. One USB has memory and glowing eyes but the other is strictly a toy- plug in this long octopus tentacle into the computer port and it wiggles and moves while the computer is on. Youngest will get a kick out of it as he does homework. i hope he can focus on work and not the tentacle but it will make him laugh.

Sister and family getting a walmart card so far. 

DH will get a starbucks card but not sure what else. He needs ties so I'll wait for a big sale.

• 50 posts
    September 27, 2014 10:30 AM PDT
    Bath & Body Works has some good online deals...some items are Buy 3, Get 3 free. The mini hand sanitizers are $5 for $5. Great stocking stuffers
    • 50 posts
    September 27, 2014 10:38 AM PDT
    It's October, and I haven't done much of my shopping yet. I was able to score some great deals on books earlier in the year. Today I bought my nephew's gift, a combination coin bank and alarm clock at 40% off. I exceeded my planned gift spending for this week, but it was a great deal and my nephew will love it
    • 205 posts
    September 29, 2014 6:55 PM PDT

Slow but sure. I bought my youngest adult daughter some nail wraps from a nail party. I also bought my youngest grandson a little tykes car. My daughter wants it for pictures she is having taken for her Christmas cards. I can't imagine what they are going to look like and he is only 9 months old but I will give it to her early for them.

• 1474 posts
    October 6, 2014 11:13 AM PDT

I was cleaning out the closet and found a box full of stuff I forgot I had in there. It has been a hectic year but how could I forget stuff that I picked up on clearance and didn't give?

My loss last year has become my gain this year. I have a whole set of stuff to give my daughter and already paid for!! I will probably add a book, an art pad, new pencils, some bath products and call it a Christmas for her..spending this year..maybe $20 for her!!

• 467 posts
    October 6, 2014 4:13 PM PDT
    What a find, Brandy! It must feel really good to be ahead of the game.

I plan to order some pj's and a sweater online for one of my grown children this week. I have a coupon that I will use for Lands End to make the purchase.
    • 225 posts
    October 17, 2014 4:55 AM PDT

For my grandson, I bought a peg pereo John Deere electric ride on tractor and trailer on clearance last February at TSC for $60-65  regular $120.

I am in such turmoil, wanting to blow my budget so bad......I would love to get my DIL a kitchenaid mixer for $200 and my son a deer rifle he wants for $400............my main christmas budget is $100 per person and there are 5 people I buy for out of that. 

This post was edited by Cinnamonhuskies at October 17, 2014 4:57 AM PDT
    • 50 posts
    October 18, 2014 6:14 PM PDT
    Picked up another gift...budget $25 for the recipient, but stumbled into a store off the beaten path and found something appropriate - a wooden desk organizer on sale for $8! The box is in bad shape but the item is fine. Gift bag to the rescue!
    • 50 posts
    October 18, 2014 6:23 PM PDT
    Forgot to add that I picked up stocking stuffers - 2 body scrubs, going at 2 for the price of $1, as well as a purse sized atomizer for $1.50. I've also found a pair of headphones online marked down to $12 (half what I budgeted) for a boy on the list. I hope I find more deals like this. Great for my budget
    • 205 posts
    October 22, 2014 4:50 PM PDT

4 outfits and 2 pair of pj's for youngest grand daughter last week. I still have 3 birthday's to buy for. Oldest daughter and 2 grand children.

• 225 posts
    October 22, 2014 6:35 PM PDT

Used a Best Buy $5 certificate toward a couple gifts , one for dh and one for ds, total $9 spent incl. shipping.

• October 22, 2014 7:21 PM PDT

I got a really nice gown for dd from a homemaker set I got dd # 2 a gown and dd# 3 a really nice long robe .. got the guy socks at tthe sports store that closing for $.40 a pair I got alot of the t shirts they were 5 for 10 dollars and i brought them all about 4 sets for under 10 per child ... the guy who makes books called and said you dh needs another pair he gave me a really good price and Laney and I picked them up today he mention he was going to have to get another pair so I told him he got a pair he is the coming home in the morning to get him

• October 22, 2014 7:41 PM PDT

at a jewerlry store he got the cutest braclet different colors for 2 for $3 dollars got a pile of them i got them and got ds oldest one a really nice pair of gold cuff links he preaches and he takes his jacket off he likes to wear nice cuff links he comes in a robs my daddys he laughes I make him bring home a couple of set before he can get another pair . dd found the box she asked if that set of betty crocker were for her she smiled and sam growing like a weed had to give him 2 set of jean sets he didnt have anything to wear.got a box of his uncle ricky clothes and he fits them like a glove ...he going to be big a big guy . 

• 498 posts
    October 23, 2014 2:56 PM PDT

Thinking I might try to buy some Frozen theme pajamas for the two youngest girls for Christmas.  Has anyone seen any cute ones?

This post was edited by tracy at October 23, 2014 2:56 PM PDT