Forums » In the Kitchen

APRIL2018 food budget and peal plans

• 1563 posts
    April 2, 2018 1:06 PM PDT
    how do you plan to stretch those food dollars this month? Share your plans and budgets here!

Angie
    • 2232 posts
    April 2, 2018 1:34 PM PDT
    We are stretching our budget by getting our meat from Zaycon Foods. My freezer will be full by the end of the month. I just picked up 40 pounds of chicken. On Friday I pick up 40 pounds of ground beef and at the end of the month I pick up steaks and roasts. I just need to pick up produce and dairy.
    • 1563 posts
    April 2, 2018 2:09 PM PDT
    Riley that's amazing!!! I really miss having a freezer. I've seriously thought about picking up a small chest. Maybe this summer or fall. Would be nice to use my fridge top freezer for just breads, ice, and ice cream.. ;-) lol

Angie
    • 1563 posts
    April 2, 2018 2:29 PM PDT
    My plan is to only purchase fresh produce, dairy as needed this month. I have chicken, ground beef, and turkey, and a few pork items in the freezer. I will need to pick up salad fixins, and fresh fruits-bananas mostly, and bread, milk/dairy as needed. I think a food/grocery budget of $50 should be enough for the month. *fingers crossed* I got through March spending less than $60 including fast food 2x. I need to make and stick to a meal plan, so I can really start to use up my surplus and start incorporating some of the healthier food items I've purchased since the first of the year ground flax seed with chia, almond butter(s), quinoa. and farrow grains. I want to start making my own granola and/or protein bars.

Meal plan- here I come!!

Angie
    • 1353 posts
    April 2, 2018 3:36 PM PDT
    We are getting meat from Zaycon in April & May.

A chest freezer is a good idea. We got one last winter and love it.
    • 2232 posts
    April 2, 2018 6:23 PM PDT
    I have ribs and bacon coming in May and July. My daughter and my BFF are ordering meats to fill their freezers too. My daughter has a huge commercial freezer in her garage so if I run out of room I can put some extra stuff over there.
    • 1563 posts
    April 3, 2018 12:42 AM PDT
    My tentative meal plan; using only what I have on hand.
    MENU PLAN thru APRIL 15th
    4/3: steak, baked tater, and salad
    4/4: ham, potatoes, and green beans
    4/5: bacon sandwiches
    4/6: pasta w/ meat sauce, salad, and garlic toast
    4/7: flatbread pizza
    4/8: soup & grilled cheese
    4/9: leftovers or PB & J
    4/10: chef salad
    4/11: salmon, baked potato, and corn
    4/12: taco salad
    4/13: tuna with crackers and fruit
    4/14: soup and grilled cheese
    4/15: chicken tenders, salad, and green beans
    I sure hope I can stretch my lettuce and other salad stuff long enough, otherwise, will need to make substitutions.
    Angie
    • 3767 posts
    April 3, 2018 3:21 PM PDT
    good plan. trying to spend less though it is hard here. shopping the sales. spent $120 last couple of days. includes household stuff and pet food. not including easter sale stuff for next year.

got deals half price buns muffins choc lol laundry soap. peppers on sale at one store yellow orange and red 6 for 2.68 plus today special pint of mushrooms .97 cents. half price creamo and choc milk.

if I include what dh bought but got the free 25 bucks use would be almost 170 so far. but no need for more stuff for a bit.

was out of laundry soap so needed that. glad to get some half price. have all the snacks, lunch stuff etc needed for the next while so we can eat out of the pantry
    • 1563 posts
    April 12, 2018 5:42 PM PDT
    Got my meal plan for the last two week of April done. This is using ONLY what I already have on hand- hope to pick up some perishables at Aldi on the 20th. Wish me luck!!

4/16: pasta w/meat sauce garlic toast
    4/17: pizza
    4/18: taco salad
    4/19: soup and grilled cheese
    4/20: breakfast for dinner
    4/21: leftovers or PB & J with fruit
    4/22: pork chops, baked potato, and corn
    4/23: grilled chicken, rice, and green beans
    4/24: soup, salad and/or grilled cheese
    4/25: pizza or leftovers
    4/26: pork loin roast, potato, and green bean casserole
    4/27: PB &J or cereal
    4/28: leftovers or makeovers 
    4/29: taco pasta salad
    4/30: leftovers or ??

• 3767 posts
    April 15, 2018 9:13 AM PDT
    good plan. keep going to the store. not even for wants. ok the marked down xmas pack of belgium cookies..assorted cookie pack marked down from 13.99 to 5 bucks so got one for my mom 3 left so got them all. one for moms group...for ethic food day...grandma from belgium so my easy way to deal with it lol.

60 bucks yesterday and need to get more stuff household personal etc.
    • 554 posts
    April 15, 2018 1:00 PM PDT
    Today is budget redo & bulk meal prep for 2 weeks …DD and I work different schedules so only 2 days a week is she home when I am home...the rest of the time she is eating dinner after work at say 830-9 PM and I am already in bed for getting up for work at 130 AM

The plan this next 2 weeks is to use half what is in the house & shopping for the other ( we need a few things we didn't have)...budget was high this week for the re-budeting (stocking up) this will also cut out say saving $20-$40 on the go grabbing or eating out that happens during the week...

So today is prepping Breakfast-Lunch- Dinner-Snacks for 2 weeks but I may need to cook a few things next Sunday for the next week something can't be pre-cooked a week ahead Broccoli-Grape Pasta Salad LOL...

So what is cooking in my kitchen today???

Instant Pot Yogurt-yield 2 qts--cost $4.50- bought yogurt to culture
    In the Big Oven--8 pieces large pieces of meatloaf
    In the Big Oven---2 chicken chicken breasts
    In the Large Crock-pot-- Large cranberry pork roast yielded 7 meals of roast
    In the Large Oven—Chocolate Cake 9 X 13
    In the Large Oven—Roasted Carrots with herbs & Roasted Mini White Potatoes plain
    On the Stove Top---7 meals of Taco Meat
    On the Stove Top—4 meals of Manwich

All this will be portion into meal kits and into the freezer/fridge for easy pull and nuke or quick granola yogurt prep :O) :O)

I am also prepping veggie to use in meals as well as portions out grab baggies of snack/treats...

Seeds-Nuts-Cranberries for me
    Granola- for DD
    Grapes
    Beef Jerky for DD

Started at 0630 washed and cleaning up Kitchen....
    0715 AM (instant pot yogurt and crockpot pork roast)
    1030 started 2 chicken breasts--->meatloaf--->ground meats to cook
    1245 started chocolate cake----potatoes and carrtos
    It's almost all done & it's almost 2 PM

I was doing all this while I went to the Gym-- Getting gas in my car--shopping for misc items needed---doing 6 loads of laundry and house cleaning... getting a little tired now but it's rest time :O) :O) aka watch TV/Read and crochet......
    This post was edited by Jayashiangel at April 15, 2018 1:40 PM PDT
    • 3767 posts
    April 16, 2018 4:10 PM PDT
    wow just reading wore me out jaya lol shopped another $135 for bogo and case lot sales. 4 pks 12 tp 18 dollars, bogo scheiders chicken corden bleu 6 in a pack so 12 for 10 bucks. 5 bucks for fancy kleenex, case of campbell tomato soup 6.99, had a coupon for free frozen prawns if you bought a cake so $12.99 for both. couple frozen pizzas on sale 3.99 each. all for easy meals. 5.99 for 5lb bag of gala apples. pork loin 1.99 a lb in big packs so 10 dollars for that. 4 bucks for pack of pork/beef mix. 25 bucks for reactine allergy meds. plus creamo bread etc too.

they have some other things thinking of getting at caselot sale but will see if family wants it first. like 12pk of kd for 8.99
    This post was edited by marthamfi at April 16, 2018 4:10 PM PDT
    • 3767 posts
    April 20, 2018 3:06 PM PDT
    wow just read my post can't believe I just spent that a few days ago and yet $150 today and yesterday. scary part all on sale stuff most at real good prices. dollar days at safeway so kd cups, sidedishes etc canned cat food lots at that price 2 for $1 got like 24 or so

dollar deals so 8 bags of chips $1 each, got 3 bottles clamato juice 75 percent off 1.25 each, box of frozen chicken strips $6.99 6 bucks off. some frozen waffles...kids ate the last 2 boxes in 2 days, 3 cans of blk beans $1 each, boxes of cookies $2 and some bakery cookies, milk creamo bread $6 salami, pack of yogurt. leftover easter choc from bulk bins they were selling for $1 for charity so got 2 for dh. single entrees..

my mom came along and gave me some stuff from the freezer she didn't want any more because she or my brother wasn't going to eat it box of perogyies some cheese sticks, yogurt, chinese dumplings for ds.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at April 20, 2018 3:16 PM PDT