Forums » TDS Pantry Challenge

Spring 2018 Kitchen/Pantry Challenge!

• 3570 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:48 PM PDT
    Looks like spring has come in some areas of the country so starting a new challenge.

Are you planning a garden, signing up for csa, looking at what you need to use up in the pantry or freezer ? changing your eating habits?

share!
    • 3570 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:51 PM PDT
    signed up for a csa that starts in june. need to look in freezer to make sure nothing is getting lost or burned. a store has cans of beans on special 88 cents which is really cheap here. so blk beans etc. need to make meat stretching meals like chili for my hollow leg son
    This post was edited by marthamfi at March 18, 2018 8:33 PM PDT
    • 2069 posts
    March 18, 2018 4:38 PM PDT
    My freezer is of meats. I have planted part of my garden so I will have fresh vegetables this summer. I will just have to buy the basics for spring and summer.
    • 403 posts
    March 18, 2018 7:12 PM PDT

Glad we have a spring challenge for pantry and freezer and garden. It keeps me thinking and doing-lol
    Susan

• 3570 posts
    March 18, 2018 8:35 PM PDT
    thanks susan! the store didnt have the blk beans so only couple of the white kidney beans. hate red ones. but the other store is having the same cans on special but for a buck but they honour sale prices. actually both chains are owned by the same people.
    • 3570 posts
    March 25, 2018 9:19 AM PDT
    stocked up ...used frozen french fries, smokies, bread, cheese, lunch meat, frozen pie shell, can of pumpkin pie filling, eggs, frozen homemade soup, tater tots, cereal, pizza pops etc. taco burritos, jar of salsa, hotdogs, old expired bags of chips..got real cheap to the crows. apple pie,

need to use what we have on hand which is plenty

This post was edited by marthamfi at March 25, 2018 9:21 AM PDT
    • 1197 posts
    March 28, 2018 7:27 PM PDT
    I've thawed many meats and cooked them and DH is still buying meats from the market and trying to freeze them. He figured out that we don't have any room left in the freezers! His eyes are bigger than his stomach. I will tell him to stop buying food as there is enough. Me and him don't eat like we used to and the kids don't either as one buys his own.

We've used ground beef, chicken, tons bananas, salsa, 2 gal milk, tons of coffee pods, loaf bread, tortilla shells, 2 bags chips, bag apples, 3 boxes cereal, string cheese, block cheese, 2 bags frozen veg....
    • 3570 posts
    April 3, 2018 3:26 PM PDT
    frozen corn, carrots, bread, milk, cat food, lunch meat, cake mix, frosting, a ham, potatoes, cabbage, candy and choc. had a big bag of easter m n ms got cheap last year. yogurt, coffee. bananas, oranges can of biscuits, pepper, some apples thrown out.

ground beef, can tomatoes, bottle of tomato sauce, red kidney beans, blk beans, can of corn..tortilla chips sour cream.. made chili. jar of butter chicken sauce, rice, pack of chicken breast., frozen mac n cheese. whipped cream eggs

friend bought over couple bags of pretzels so that was snacks too. neighbour bought over some pie family doesn't eat as much as a whole so couple dinners last a few nights though don't make that much.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at April 3, 2018 3:30 PM PDT
    • 1197 posts
    April 9, 2018 2:55 AM PDT
    Lots of cereal eaten here, 2 bags apples, 2 gal milk, potato/tortilla chips, cheese, can pears, tuna kit, loaf bread, frozen fries,2 bags English muffins, gal juice, 2 dz eggs, deli meat....

Thawing a turkey now. I planted some cilantro seeds and hope they grow for some Mexican entrees.
    • 3570 posts
    April 9, 2018 10:39 AM PDT
    yep cereal here too. and ds went though the milk fast. stew beef, can of onion soup, mushrooms, carrots, frozen peas, frozen fries, pizza, seasoning packets, pudding cups, cool whip, cheese, bread. reg stuff
    • 403 posts
    April 9, 2018 4:54 PM PDT
    milk, bread, 2 whole chickens, hot pockets, tater tots, canned soup, deer roast and ground in burgers mixed half 1# and 1# ground beef so ground beef too.
    • 3570 posts
    April 16, 2018 4:01 PM PDT
    milk creamo taco kit with tortillas, chili from freezer, kd cups, fruit, lb of beef from freezer. cheese. old ham lunchmeat to crows. bread. english muffins, jar of blackberry jam finished and of pb. various little things. snack food for lunches like pudding cups.

stocked up on sales.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at April 16, 2018 4:02 PM PDT
    • 403 posts
    April 16, 2018 4:40 PM PDT
    lunchmeat, cheese, milk, some deer, chicken, chips but some went to birds, buns an a few canned things. So did ok but most i just had get more of
    Susan
    • 1197 posts
    April 19, 2018 12:09 AM PDT
    Used up- frozen stuffed sole, more boxes of cereal, bag of apples, pie crust,frozen bag veg, leftover turkey, 2 cream of chicken soups, lots of bottled water (bottles and jugs), can kidney beans,frozen 2 lb ground beef, 2 onions, 2 jalapenos, boboli pizza crust, 1/4 bag Mexican cheese, 2 jugs juice, 2 lb bananas.....

I bought some items- 2 bags tortilla chips, bananas, loaf sourdough.