Forums » General Chat

Frugal Friday $$$ Stretching 2/9/18

• 1340 posts
    February 9, 2018 12:09 AM PST
    How are your frugal plans going? Will it be a day of window shopping, getting just the necessities or a splurge? Share your plans!
    • 1340 posts
    February 9, 2018 12:17 AM PST
    Retired- Hope things go well.

Martha- Sorry your SIL is unreasonable. We used to have red light cameras her- but the upkeep was more than what they were getting in tickets....LOL. Needless to say, they were dismantled. Good!

I got done at 12:30 am today, frosting the last of the cupcakes and cakes for Saturday's bake sale. Later this morning, I'll make macaroons & various cookies as well.. Then, I'll go to work early.

DS2 will sew today for 2 hours.Supposed to snow on Saturday. I hope not..... Gotta drive to church and take DS2 to sewing.

• 2836 posts
    February 9, 2018 5:36 AM PST
    I am so thirsty! And at least 6 hrs to go before I can have a drink.
    Thanks all! we are leaving for the hospital soon.
    kim
    • 2167 posts
    February 9, 2018 6:39 AM PST
    retired...Thinking of you today as you go in for surgery. I hope your surgery is fully effective and your recovery is quick.

We began the morning at 30 degrees and are supposed to go up to 52 by the end of the day with sunshine. My plans are to run errands today: small grocery shop for loss leaders, bread store, credit union, post office, Dollar General, Lowe’s, gas for my car, and the local nursery. The regular chores are in process and I have a laundry load going. Supper will be leftovers.

I wish for each of you a fabulous Friday and a restful weekend.
    • 2204 posts
    February 9, 2018 9:43 AM PST
    Retired I pray the surgery goes well and the recovery is quick.
    I haven't posted all week because on Tuesday my Step-dad who was more of a dad to me than my own father, passed away. I have been at my Mom's since then helping her. We have all been taking care of cleaning the house, making funeral arrangements and doing whatever needs to be done. I will be back to the forum when things calm down. I miss you all
    • 875 posts
    February 9, 2018 10:05 AM PST
    Happy Friday to All. Low of 30 and going up to the low 50's.

Riley, sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers for you and your family. Kim, also in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Frugal - finally made the quick trip to Aldi's and spent a little over $16 - yes, you read that right. Stuck to the basics. Freebie lunch of shrimp scampi courtesy of a coupon from DDIL. Mixed up a double batch of slice and bake cookie dough to be baked tomorrow - apricot pinwheels and cherry. Using cans of pastry fruit filling from DS#2. The remainder of the cans are in the refrigerator to mix with yogurt, cottage cheese, or just out of the can with a spoon.

Get together tomorrow evening with ladies from our church, hence the cookie baking. Should be fun. A church friend closer to my age is picking me up (I don't drive well in the dark) so this will be a good opportunity to get to know each other better.

DH bought garden supplies but had the money set aside so at least it is not on the credit card.

That's it for now. Everyone have a wonderful day.
    This post was edited by LNBee2 at February 9, 2018 10:11 AM PST
    • 107 posts
    February 9, 2018 10:13 AM PST
    TGIF all,

Kim, thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery.

It's supposed to hit 73 tonight but a cold front is moving in tomorrow morning through Sunday.

Busy weekend. Going to visit DH's friend tomorrow who's father passed away on Tuesday. He really enjoys my "crummy" pie so hope to bake one tonight to take over there. 93 year old neighbor has groceries, prescripts and other errands for me on Sunday.

We had red light cameras here until they were issues of them being unconstitutional and possibly illegal so my city stopped using them for the time being until their usage is sorted out.

DH got his bonus on his check this morning so we will sit down this weekend and decide how we want to disburse it.

Heading out to lunch and to the post office.

Take care y'all.

• 3855 posts
    February 9, 2018 11:20 AM PST
    my sympathies on your loss lifeofriley. good luck retired with the surgery.

yes they got rid of red light cameras years ago but it is so bad here and basically people don't get tickets for much. you can kill someone with your car runover and not really get in trouble. so they have to do something that doesn't cost too much man power.

thanks lisa sad when she is so childish and jealous. what normal person would be jealous because the person hired to help her mom is thoughful and cares about her. taking great care of her. we do appreciate it. and not like she would go take care of her mom and probably is the one who gave her the bug. at least hopefully she won't start with her mom saying get rid of her since her mom loves having her over.

turns out kids have a pro d day today so 4 day weekend with family day monday. ,my friend s kids have 6 days off in a row 3 pro d days then long weekend. sure is different from our day. there is 2 pro d days and stat holiday this month. turns out the guide thing we volunteered for on monday running a craft booth was cancelled because only dd and I had signed up. but they didn't email that so found out by asking.

my physio receipts were paid so dh owes me the money which I need so great! they were processed fast. need to bring dvds back to library since overdue, get the basics milk, bread etc. kids want to go to michaels for sale and use coupon. ds is working on a blanket with yarn that is not going to be restocked so he can use 50% coupon for more.

dishes to do. but other housework can wait. have to wash the baby blanket for mailing tomorrow. started a scar for my stockpile but then my friend is coming into town and lives in cold winter area so a gift for her. plus I will make more for her family.

so really lazy today. food out of the house and ds has his class tonight.

This post was edited by marthamfi at February 9, 2018 11:40 AM PST
    • 1340 posts
    February 9, 2018 2:11 PM PST
    Checking in again...Made big macaroons dipped in chocolate and bagged those. Made 20 strawberry cookies. Took me all morning to do them and bag them. It doesn't look like I did much! Will try more after work and tomorrow morning and then the bake sale begins.

DS2 is sewing now and hopefully, it will be an easier day. The seamstress told him on the first day that she's not a good teacher. I texted her to say he is a sensitive and caring kid and it's a big project and I hope it's an easier day.
    • 431 posts
    February 9, 2018 4:20 PM PST
    hi all, life so sorry for your loss, hope retired hope all has gone well for you today.
    no spend day here, leftovers for dinner, did some outside work while the ground was still frozen before all the rain comes in the next few days. the work was dog poop cleaning yey we all love that, filled birdfeeders, burnt the burn bag only paper and walked around to see how dead everything looks.
    Susan
    • 1481 posts
    February 9, 2018 4:27 PM PST
    Retired I hope everything went well for you today. Riley I'm sorry about your stepdad. Stayed pretty much the same temperature all day today. Both of us got haircuts and did the grocery shopping after that. So about $100 out. Nothing exciting today, just another work day. Chicken baking in the oven and will make soup from a mix to go with it. Dog got a much unwanted bath after deciding to dig in the yard and getting her belly caked in mud. I hope everyone had a great day. Jill
    • 1545 posts
    February 9, 2018 8:59 PM PST
    Hi all!! First and foremost, as of right now, my second and third looks at my left breast revealed nothing. major There is a small spot on the mammogram, but the ultrasound showed nothing!!! Huge relief. I do have to go back in August for a follow-up mammogram on my left breast. Monday I found out that Tony had been rushed to a hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska after passing out. He was admitted for observation and testing. His blood pressure was spiking then it would plummet. He was released and flew home to Columbus on Wednesday afternoon. He had an appointment late Wednesday with a cardiologist who put Tony on a crap ton of; meds for his cholesterol, blood pressure and others. He told me the official diagnosis is a viral infection of the heart. He thinks he is protecting me by not telling me everything, but I believe it is actually viral myocarditis. :'( I also learned some interesting and equally upsetting information about my son. He told his girlfriend that the reason he doesn't want to talk to me is that I did things to him, but he told her she didn't need to know what those things were. She is mad at him because he won't talk to me. So, My thinking is this; my ex and his mother are inferring to my son that I did things to him. I can only assume these "things" are sexual in nature because my ex-mother in law is sick and twisted!! Tuesday I had my OB/gyn checkup. Thursday was my closer look mammogram and ultrasound. Today? I tried to concentrate on my school work and catching up as best I could. It has been an emotionally charged up and down week for me and I am pooped!! No money out today.. which is good because I spent $52 on lunch for Judy and me yesterday... well including the tip it was $62. we went to the Rusty Bucket. I ordered grilled salmon, with vegetables and rice, I also ordered a side salad which I ended up bringing home. That was my dinner last night. I added a couple of boiled eggs and some cheese to it and called it dinner. :) no major plans for the weekend other than school and making some cupcakes for Sunday.

Angie