Forums » Holidays

Looking to Christmas 2018

• 700 posts
    January 11, 2018 5:17 PM PST
    Share your preparations for Christmas 2018.
    • 700 posts
    January 11, 2018 5:20 PM PST
    I ordered a few replacement pieces on eBay from the Fisher Price Little People nativity pieces. Those will be for Little Stuff & her Baby Brother. Are any of you using the sales to start stocking the gift closet?
    • 3840 posts
    January 11, 2018 6:28 PM PST
    not much sales wise for xmas. did get xmas crackers marked down to $5 from 20 for next year. went thought the xmas cards. have enough for a couple of years and variety.
    • 700 posts
    January 11, 2018 9:41 PM PST
    marthamfi, I have enough Christmas cards for several years as well. I bought some of the hard Christmas candy when they marked it way down, though. Hard peppermint drops don’t spoil, & those hard red raspberry drops keep well, too.
    • 1402 posts
    January 15, 2018 11:52 PM PST
    I had gotten a box of cards, a couple of gift boxes and a pack of tissue paper.
    • 1451 posts
    January 16, 2018 4:37 AM PST
    Not buying yet but the best thing I did to prepare was to put things away nicely. I threw things away bubble wrapped and condensed.
    • 1402 posts
    March 28, 2018 7:37 PM PDT
    So far, I've gotten some gift cards from CC points. I do have $75 in Swagbucks and will save them as it gets closer to Christmas. CC points are adding up and will get more gift cards as time goes on.
    • 1402 posts
    May 3, 2018 6:38 PM PDT
    I had no idea the RetailMeNot sold gift cards at a discount!! DS1 loves a particular shave balm and I got a discounted gift card from RetailMeNot and went to the website to buy some as a stocking stuffer. The website was running a discount on it. I ended up getting 2 tubes of the stuff for $13, regularly $18.
    • 1402 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:23 PM PDT
    Got the kids a Marvel Flash t-shirt and a Dr. Strange hat that was on sale and free shipping.

Did a 3 month survey and got a $25 Amazon card.

So far, I have $117 in swagbucks and $40 in CC rewards for gift cards. I'll keep collecting points and purchase later.

• 1402 posts
    August 16, 2018 12:46 AM PDT
    I got DS2 a calendar that a Navy Seals man designed and it shows tactics to survive in different situations. He's written several books as well. It's called "Deadly Skills" calendar and it was cheapest on ebay.

I have $134 in Swagbucks so far.
    • 2257 posts
    August 27, 2018 7:32 AM PDT
    I cashed in some points for gift cards today to begin the 2018 Christmas stash.
    • 3840 posts
    August 27, 2018 9:26 PM PDT
    picked up a colouring book for a friend outlander show theme
    • 2275 posts
    August 27, 2018 10:39 PM PDT
    I am embroidering some aprons for the girls, the grandkids and nieces. I am also putting together some jars with cookie mix and I will give them the recipe to make the cookies. The guys get to enjoy the cookies.
    • 1602 posts
    September 6, 2018 8:44 PM PDT
    right now, my kids are done, other than a few stocking stuffers. And maybe a Kroger or Meijer gift card. Other than that, or possibly a pre-Xmas sale at B & BW, I am done. Since my mom is so fond of smoking her weed, I may get her a couple packs of rolling papers- LOL!!!
    Last year I bought myself a bed for Xmas. This year I thinkI'll finally replace my stand mixer. But we'll see how things go... between now and Dec. 1st.

Angie
    • 700 posts
    September 11, 2018 6:25 PM PDT
    Ordered a photo book for one of my grandsons from Shutterfly on a free offer. I have to pay the shipping, but it is under $9, which is in my budget. It has pics of his birth & significant life events up to present.
    • 700 posts
    September 13, 2018 11:25 AM PDT
    Ordered a gift for our middle daughter & son-in-law from Gardeners Supply. I am giving them more wire cloches for their garden. They have both deer & bunnies, & last year I gave them a set of cliches. They loved it, & asked for more this year. I learned from this daughter that when shopping online, to fill the cart, then close the window without completing the order. Wait a few days, a “Did you forget something?” Will appear in your email. Ignore that one for a few more days, & a coupon comes your way via email. I bought 2 types of cloches. One came down from $1 off to $2 off each one (I bought two of that kind); & my shipping was reduced to $3.99 from $17.50. Since it is what she requested, I am having it mailed to her how, so I don’t have to stand in line to send it, or pay the cost, after paying the shipping cost in the first place, & she will then wrap it, label it, & put it with the rest of the gifts in the closet. She shops ahead like I do.
    • 3840 posts
    September 13, 2018 5:36 PM PDT
    that is good idea zohner.

bought a couple of things for ds bday and a tshirt for dd.

but when ordered old radio show for myself I got dvds full of vintage books one woodworking and one on teslas books etc not that expensive about 5 bucks each for dh
    • 1402 posts
    September 14, 2018 6:50 PM PDT
    I ordered a TENS unit for DS1 for Christmas. He has chronic back pain. Now that they've gone mainstream, it's easy to buy one for cheap. I went to Amazon and read all of the reviews before my purchase. He needs orthotics as well but that was harder to figure out.

Zohner- That was sound advice from your DD when shopping online! It's so true!
    • 1602 posts
    September 14, 2018 11:18 PM PDT
    I noticed last year as I was taking my 6' tree down, that a lot of the lights on my pre-lit tree burned out, so, earlier I was looking at 4.5 ' prelit trees that I can just sit on my one end table so all I'll need to do is move the lamp. If I use the one I already have, we will need to move that table out of the room to make room for my tree. I know ideally, I should wait for after Christmas sales. and the tree I have is 5 years old now so the fact that it's lasted as long as it has is impressive. lol, I think I will get the kids some simple stocking stuffers( gum breath mints, candy, lip balm, stuff like that.) and maybe a deck of cards puzzle books, deodorant, slipper socks- lol. I need to check on what grocers are near Andy's campus. Sarah has Kroger and Meijer and probably WalMart to choose from. I am already thinking about Christmas goodies to make this year. ;)

Angie
    • 1402 posts
    September 28, 2018 1:30 AM PDT
    I was thinking of getting a smaller tree but the one I have was my parent's tree and they got it when we were 16. I haven't taken it down as it's huge so, it's one less thing to do this year. LOL.

I was going to get DH a book but he is a very fast reader. Although history is something he enjoys, spending $30 on a book that he'll read in a day is too much. I ended up getting DH and kids a silver coin as the price was close to spot price.
    • 3840 posts
    October 2, 2018 2:13 PM PDT
    my mil has a small tree too. got another saying the lights weren't bright or burnt out so sil got one for her for this year but don't know if it her eyes being bad or what.

just shopped on amazon so much for not spending today lol got some harry potter books the new beedle bard and movie one. some tshirts too. for dd bday and both kids xmas.

got a mug for mil will give before xmas. says it is my hallmark xmas movie watching mug. perfect because she loves them. another mug as a xmas gift for a friend

tracy posted on fb group she got some deals on waterpaints so ordered them for dd for xmas
    This post was edited by marthamfi at October 2, 2018 2:38 PM PDT
    • 1451 posts
    October 11, 2018 7:05 AM PDT
    Just starting to think about Christmas. I am such a non shopper. DD wants amusement park passes again this year for her family. They spent a good deal of the summer there. Easy enough. Looking for unusual things now.

I will buy son in law a load of take out containers today from Amazon. He never brings his containers home. A joke that will be used. While there I will buy UNO attack for my 11 year old grandson. He loves to play the card game version.
    • 1402 posts
    October 11, 2018 8:32 AM PDT
    I used swagbucks to get $50 Walmart, $25 kohl's and $25 game stop cards for my sister's family. I may get them a $50 card to Panera as well but will ask first as they eat out a lot but may want a different place.
    • 2275 posts
    October 11, 2018 9:55 AM PDT
    I transferred all of my Ibotta money to my checking account so I have almost enough to get the grandkids their big present from us. I will buy the clothes when I get a good coupon from Kohl's. I don't want to spend much money this year since money is tight for everyone.
    • 1402 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:55 AM PDT
    DH always keeps his dad's army blanket in his car and I thought it was a good idea. So I got DS1 a 70/30 wool blend blanket for his car from ebay for $21.

I'll need to get DS2 something else but dunno what. I may do a loot gaming subscription as he like those from last year. I did get him a loot crate for his birthday (3 mth subscription) as it was on sale and way cheaper than loot gaming.