Forums » Hobbies and Crafts

2018 Crafting What are you making ?

• 3910 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:44 AM PST
    What are you making this year? any gifts? any plans for new hobbies? making crafts with kids or groups? share
    • 421 posts
    January 6, 2018 4:32 PM PST
    Still have two Christmas things to get done xstictch lol have start on next year. Hope to do some mending and button changes on a few things. Thanks Martha for making me think about it some.
    Susan
    • 333 posts
    January 6, 2018 6:26 PM PST
    I want to make all my Christmas presents this year so need to begin NOW.
    • 2814 posts
    January 6, 2018 7:25 PM PST
    I made none of my gifts by hand last year and it actually got commented on that those were missed.
    I am still working on niece's quilt. I finally gave myself permission n to pressure myself after my uncle passed away and Momma decided to pull all of her little attention getting schemes between Tgiving and Christmas.
    But I do finally have it basted together and I am just doing an envelope quilt so I need to just sit down and get it done.
    After that I will be making a rag quilt for BFF. As long as it is done by June, I will be fine. As you can tell, I am refusing to rush myself.
    kim
    • 2308 posts
    January 6, 2018 11:36 PM PST
    I am currently working on a large crocheted throw blanket for my BFF'S son and fiance. Then I will start on sewing some kitchen towels for DD.
    • 554 posts
    January 10, 2018 1:10 PM PST
    Hi everyone...I got sick around Xmas with the flu and just started getting back online..I just finished this milk bottle carrier for when I am working as to avoid dropping it.......

This post was edited by Jayashiangel at January 11, 2018 2:13 AM PST
    • 3910 posts
    January 15, 2018 9:04 AM PST
    that is a good idea jaya. I agreed retired. no rushing. people getting crocheted stuff from me is a surprise for them. have so many plans and want to build up my crochet gift stash with lap blankets etc.

I did 2 quick neck cowls for the boys. out of thicker yarn I don't like as much. not a fan of big yarn. one cake made 2 cowls. tea cake from caron. better then scarves for the guys. switch between big and little quick projects.

have lots of craft stuff of all types. some I found that needs throwing away too old. like glycerin from soap making.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at January 15, 2018 9:08 AM PST
    • 3910 posts
    January 22, 2018 3:35 PM PST
    made a cowl from my mandala yarn
    • 421 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:24 PM PST
    Got out my xstitch to finish still sitting on the island. LOL
    Susan
    • 1125 posts
    January 23, 2018 7:47 AM PST
    My crafting plans for 2017 were all unmet...
    I don't know if this qualifies as a "craft" but I think it's as close as I'm going to get this season. I used boot grease (all natural Obenauf's) to turn a 20 year old formerly suede (the nap wore off) coat into a smooth leather coat. Took two coats of boot grease but it actually looks really good. It was supposed to be a chore coat, but it might end up being my "good" daily coat again.
    • 333 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:35 PM PST
    Working on getting rid of a bag of cotton yarn, so making dishcloths.
    • 3910 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:40 PM PST
    those are always popular plus washcloths or those nylon puffs done in cotton instead mtviolet.

close enough for me maggie renew reuse all part of crafting
    • 1125 posts
    January 31, 2018 7:19 AM PST
    So far the jacket looks pretty good. I'm letting the grease soak in over night with the jacket near the stove every few nights. It changes color which is kind of interesting. Will take it out for a test-drive as soon when it's drizzly to see if it's waterproof. I slapped grease on about 3pairs of shoes I thought were past saving but hadn't pitched yet...they all look good enough for garden/yard work or running to the hardware store now so I might have to spend a day with the "shoe goo" and patch up the holes that can't be sewn anymore.
    • 3910 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:03 PM PST
    made a couple of scarves for friends and a baby blanket.
    • 333 posts
    February 17, 2018 8:16 PM PST
    Got thru one bag of cotton yarn, ended up with 32 dish cloths or wash cloths. still have 2 more bags to work on.
    • 3910 posts
    February 24, 2018 12:25 PM PST
    nice mtviolet!
    • 554 posts
    March 4, 2018 4:42 PM PST
    Great job everyone As for what fits into crafts I think we are a pretty flexible group so that being said Maggie--that coat work sounds like it turned out pretty great...Mt Violet---Dish Clothes are perfect don't forget you could whip up a few baby bibs in cotton as well to maybe gift to someone...

I am currently working a projects for what is called wish list I am a member of a crochet website that post various topics and one is an area where people list wishes (they can be any thing from post card---craft patterns---cotton wash clothes---crochet hooks....

I am currently working on parts of a wish list for someone who does donation (toy drive at Xmas) for little girls the person buy dolls and then crochets various item for the doll (doll clothes/blankets/diaper bags/bibs/toy food items) I have decided this year I am not making or doing any Xmas gifts for family or friends I am donation to others in need so I am currently working a diaper bags & round ripple baby dolls size blanket sets) to grant a wish from a other crocheter....

These pics are on the fly aka not my best photo work but it's a quick pic for now....
    • 3910 posts
    March 12, 2018 2:57 PM PDT
    very nice love the blanket. finished a blanket from the banana bread colour caron cakes
    • 2814 posts
    March 12, 2018 8:38 PM PDT
    I finished a small rag lap blanket. It was an experiment and I am not super happy with it, but I learned a lot toward the next one. Most of the front squares are cut for it but none of the backing yet.
    And I want to make Momma a couple of turbans but the stores here don't have the right material.
    kim
    • 3910 posts
    March 16, 2018 8:32 AM PDT
    Didnt feel like the projects on the go so did a quick scarf for gift stash
    • 554 posts
    March 25, 2018 4:34 PM PDT
    Currently working on a new shawl/wrap pattern.....So far so good....will post update/photos/web site link for a pattern when done...
    • 460 posts
    March 25, 2018 6:12 PM PDT
    Totally missed this thread..

I crocheted 3-handle covers for my cast iron pot.

• 554 posts
    May 13, 2018 6:42 AM PDT
    Currently I am working on finishing up a few Wip's---(works in progress) that have been in needing to be caught up on....You see like I have stated before I start projects at work & as they get bigger (or to big to work on in the van I drive daily) then I have to work in them at home while watching Tv to complete them....

Recently I have finished 2 shawls and a phone case for my new phone LOL...On the hook right now I have a baby blanket I started over a month ago almost done on the last skein.....I will attach some photos later today
    • 2814 posts
    May 13, 2018 5:48 PM PDT
    I got one row of the purple rag quilt sewn together. I thought it was the top row but it was the bottom. Guess I will be working up on this one instead of down.
    kim
    • 3910 posts
    May 18, 2018 9:42 AM PDT
    haven't done much.. one blanket for gift stash and added edging to fix poncho made for friend. stretched though it is the pattern and right yarn. almost done a couple of projects. haven't crocheted much because of hands.

made hat traders for girl guides though
    This post was edited by marthamfi at May 18, 2018 9:43 AM PDT