Forums » TDS Pantry Challenge

First Challenge of 2018 Winter pantry!

• 3354 posts
    January 3, 2018 10:55 AM PST
    Time of easy cooking I believe because heating up the house works for most of us in colder weather. cozy winter meals maybe too many carbs but it is winter.

time for long cooking things that are cheaper like pot roast, stews ... excuse to make cakes and bake bread.

Since we are here and it is a new year so time to clear out those cupboards, freezer, and fridge. Discover what needs using up ..any deals coming up.... expired items.. share!
    • 2016 posts
    January 3, 2018 11:07 AM PST
    I need to clean the fridge and start using some of my stored food.
    • 1367 posts
    January 3, 2018 12:56 PM PST
    There's plenty in the pantry and freezers. I'm mostly shopping sales and getting perishables. Jill
    • 3354 posts
    January 3, 2018 2:04 PM PST
    yep since I shopped so much before xmas we have a lot left in the house. and spent the money on yarn lol this week. we have so much chocolate and goodies don't need more dessert. found things that were too old so gone. will stick to what we really eat like frozen veggies and fresh fruit. salad needs to be binned. have tomatoes somewhere to check out.

but since in carb mode pasta with the brie cheese is calling me.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at January 3, 2018 2:09 PM PST
    • 339 posts
    January 3, 2018 4:18 PM PST
    Hi all pantry and freezer have plenty, like most of you I bought more than needed last month plus deer so hoping to just buy loss leaders and bread milk etc for this month
    Susan
    • 1075 posts
    January 4, 2018 12:04 AM PST

Thawing a turkey and used the holiday ham. Making blueberry & pumpkin pies this week. Used frozen onions and cheese. Using clearance pasta from a year ago for dinner and will make bread with it.

Replenish fruits every other day and milk as cereal on sale.

• 1132 posts
    January 4, 2018 2:00 PM PST
    I'm trying to eat up the christmas gifts (lots of people sent me treats...I won't have to buy tea until the next millenium) and the rest of my lunches stash at the office. I am SICK of carrots and wondering who buys 5lbs of carrots and sticks them in the fridge at work...that would be me. Today I had microwaved carrots with a can of diced tomatoes and some spices. It was sort of a carrot stew and actually tasted pretty good. I might turn orange before I finish the carrots though. I think tomorrow I will cooke them longer and make a fake mashed-potato type thing.
    • 234 posts
    January 4, 2018 9:31 PM PST
    the freezer and pantry are both full. Will only need some produce and dairy this month.
    • 33 posts
    January 7, 2018 4:20 AM PST
    I try to get the deep freezer foods emptied by spring. I live in Texas and the summers get blistering hot, and I live in the country, a good drive from the closest market. So I like to put a decent amount of ice cream in the deep freezer before summer, to last us all summer. Once I do that I restock it again with meats etc for the rest of the year. Then in January I start emptying it again.
    Right now we've got a few meats, some veggies & frozen fruit to use up. As cold as it is I'll probably make cobblers with the fruit.
    • 3354 posts
    January 7, 2018 7:36 PM PST
    canned fruit, whipped cream, fruit, eggs, graham cracker crust, cool whip, maple pie filling, dairy milk cheese etc. lunch meat, bread candy of course, ramen and other easy meals. frozen pizzas, frozen stuffed chicken breasts, mac n cheese, bacon, a beef roast, few old condiments into the garbage. pulled out frozen carrot soup and spaghetti sauce for eating too.

can you tell everyone is home
    • 1276 posts
    January 7, 2018 10:48 PM PST
    I've got a few cake mixes that need to be used- however, I don't want to make them and be tempted to eat them, so if I make them I will most likely give them to my neighbors. I also need to use up some other baking staples- flour, sugars, stuff like that. Again, don't really want to bake my cookies cupcakes or brownies because it's just too tempting to just grab one or two when I feel hunger pangs or get bored. lol Once my pantry cupboard arrives and is assembled, I will be able to better assess my stockpiles.

Angie
    • 33 posts
    January 7, 2018 10:50 PM PST
    Eyrehead, sounds like me :) maybe bake them then freeze? or maybe you could freeze the dry mixes to make them last longer?
    • 1075 posts
    January 8, 2018 12:54 AM PST
    Hams went on clearance so for $8 (reg $31), I got one. Frozen veg on sale for $1/bag (reg $2.99), I got 5. There were clearance cookie mixes for 39 and 69 cents and with the church bake sale coming up for Valentine's Day, I'm making it easier on myself. California Pizza Kitchen pizzas on sale so we ended up with 10.

Thawing out meatballs and they may get eaten today or the thawed turkey.
    • 1348 posts
    January 8, 2018 6:56 AM PST
    Pot roast twice this week. I will freeze half of the leftovers in the gravy for next week or the week after. I have a ham to cook but the thought of eating ham forever is not appealing. I will wait until I can have the kids over.
    • 3354 posts
    January 11, 2018 10:47 AM PST
    made split pea soup with hambone from freezer using carrots, yellow split peas, celery and wonton stock. didn't have chicken stock. had to buy more split peas too. not enough

so shopped for some stock up items and more reg stuff plus goodies like the choc pb marked down to 99 cents from 4.99

freezer carrot soup, cont. of homemade spaghetti sauce, box of spaghetti. crows still getting the roast beef from before and the shredded taco chicken from freezer they didn't finished, shredded cheese, bread, cheese, cat food. apples etc