Forums » Gardening

Gardening for 2018

• 3840 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:38 AM PDT
    weird around this island no roses bushes or rhodos lots of things we are used too at home not like they won't grow here.
  • August 5, 2018 1:28 PM PDT
    That's because of the deer, they eat anything over there on Salt Spring Island. No predators to keep the numbers down.
    • 2275 posts
    August 6, 2018 6:44 AM PDT
    I lost a whole branch on my bell pepper plant because it was too heavy from the weight of the peppers.
    • 3840 posts
    August 11, 2018 7:09 PM PDT
    yes sally that is what others were saying but deer don't normally eat rhodos etc do they.

got the apple tree planted hopefully it is ok the roots grew out of the hole of the bottom of pot into the ground so got ripped off. the ground is so dry that even 3ft down it was bone dry dusty.

lilac bush and lilies planted. lots of trees that are growing weeds..volunteers got pulled up. trimmed a bunch of stuff too. finally cool enough. filled two green bins
    This post was edited by marthamfi at August 11, 2018 7:10 PM PDT
  • August 11, 2018 11:20 PM PDT
    If they are hungry enough they will eat anything. The list of plants etc that deer dislike is useless. If you are starving you'd eat anything too to survive. We got some rain today not a lot just enough to wet the surface of the garden, needs a good downpour but that is not in the works so the weather people say. Pity. Sally
    • 3840 posts
    August 12, 2018 8:52 PM PDT
    true enough but plenty of grass etc there got a pint and a half of cherry tomatoes so far off the plant
    This post was edited by marthamfi at August 12, 2018 8:53 PM PDT
    • 700 posts
    September 13, 2018 7:22 AM PDT
    This year we did not plant, because I received my cancer diagnosis on April 3. We decided it would be a fallow year for the garden, & have been piling the leaves & grass clippings there to build the soil. I had already planted peas, so we picked & ate those, along with some garlic that grows every year. I never harvest it all - I always miss a few. In hindsight, not planting was a good choice this year, since two of the chemo meds make me sensitive to a severe sunburn, and it has been all I can do to keep up with the perennial fruits.

What was really surprising to me this year was how well the fruit trees & the berry bushes produced. We have a drought here, & we do not have a sprinkler system, so suffice it to say that the homestead got by on probably less than 1/4 of the water they usually get, because I didn’t have the strength to move the hose around. DH watered each weekend but not everything. We had the best crop ever from our tiny blackberry batch. We (meaning the grandkids) picked 3 bushels of peaches from our tree & took them home to bottle, since I have no energy to do that. We (again, the grandkids) picked two bushels of apples from the CandyCrisp tree in front, along with some of the crabapples. Sent those home for their family to use. We picked a few elderberries (with a grandson helping), but this year I just let the birds take most of them. We picked lots of pie cherries & I dehydrated them. Picked lots of of red & white currants with a granddaughte & she used them when she made mulberry jam, when I was in the early rounds of chemo, using a blend that did not stop the cancer, when I had more energy. Our youngest grapevine, a seedless Concord bore this year, so we know how they taste. The larger grapevine suffered from the lack of water, but it still bore some Red Reliance grapes that were about the size of the white tip of your pinkie fingernail rounded, but they are very sweet & a nice snack when my gut will let me eat it. We still have the apples on a Golden Delicious tree to pick & more to the larger crabapples on the tree. The grandkids will pick those as well, the next time they come to help.
    • 2275 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:03 AM PDT
    I pulled out the summer garden a couple of days ago. I will sow some seeds for lettuce, radishes, carrots, green onions, dill, cilantro and spinach
  • September 13, 2018 9:34 AM PDT
    I still have tomato plants producing in the plastic greenhouse. I have some potatoes to dig up when I feel like it. Today is a no energy day wish I could go back to bed day. Sigh, have to go to work and it is a late arrive to work, late to leave work day. going to be a long day too. I can just feel it in my bones. The begonia tubers that I planted in baskets are a riot of colour and cheer me up everytime I park or use the car. They are just plonked inside the netted garden facing the driveway. The deer would chomp them to pieces if they could get to them otherwise. Peas did so so. Lettuce was flea bitten or bitten by something so that got all pulled out. May plant more lettuce seeds and some winter veg seeds, will see.I have tidied up the netted garden and it is looking not bad. Sally.
    • 700 posts
    September 13, 2018 11:11 AM PDT
    Picked the prune plums today & filled half of a peck box. The tree is not large, but is growing slowly - at least it is growing - & it was not well watered this growing season, so the plums are smaller instead of huge & fat. They will finish ripening inside where the bird cannot peck at them. Had the tree been larger, I would not have had the energy to pick them all, so I am thankful the tree is smaller so I could pick the fruit.
    • 3840 posts
    October 17, 2018 7:52 AM PDT
    wonder if her garden will be kept up now. or if the kids will.

still have a bunch of green tomatoes on the bushes ..have to figure out what to do with them. until the fruit flies are gone can have anything out.