Forums » Gardening

Gardening for 2018

• 2051 posts
    January 2, 2018 3:30 PM PST
    Anyone planning their garden? I have gotten two seed catalogs so far. Keep looking them over. I need to sort my seeds. Make a plan.
    • 449 posts
    January 2, 2018 4:45 PM PST
    Oh yes..lol..

I’m looking at the Johnny’s seed catalog now and will be ordering 3-beautiful unique zinnias.

Right now I’m mostly planning on adding to my perennial medicinal garden..I will need to buy and that is marshmallow, feverfew, yarrow, purple coneflower (mine died for some reason) licorice plants that I can think of off the top of my head.

I’m going to go full force with making and growing my own herbal medicine gardens (other then just my elderberry that I use exclusively ) as in skin care products like cold cream, muscle rub, and much more.

Didn’t know how important calendula, roses,pansies, dandelion flowers are for skin health/care.
    • 1132 posts
    January 4, 2018 2:09 PM PST
    Yep...I'm working REALLY hard not to over plant this year and just focus on taking care of the trees and berries I've planted in the last 3 years. Maybe just a few containers and the strawberry bed...and the other two gardens....DANG! Already out of control. I have been getting free seeds at the local library and hope to just plant with those. I love the seed catalogs, but I am not a good gardener so perhaps I can save money and kill plants that I got for free this year instead of plants from seeds I paid for.
    • 234 posts
    January 4, 2018 9:32 PM PST
    I looked online at a rare seeds cataloge and had to close out of that window. I could spend a months salary just there.
    • 1348 posts
    January 5, 2018 9:07 AM PST
    We are waiting on our little garden this year. Our trees are growing and the shade is creeping over our bed. We are going to have to move it or have a rather large tree trimmed.
    • 688 posts
    January 11, 2018 9:46 PM PST
    I have several beds that need acidified every year, so at Christmas, I collect the curb side Christmas trees ( with permission) that are short needled firs, before the truck come to pick them up. I also save all the citrus peels & sliver those, then sprinkle them on top of the beds. Both helpf keep the soil acidic. This past fall, I pulled out 7 gooseberry bushes, & plan to replace those with blueberries. Other than that, it is just maintaining the trees & the bushes we already have.