Forums » Gardening

Gardening for 2018

• 2113 posts
    January 2, 2018 3:30 PM PST
    Anyone planning their garden? I have gotten two seed catalogs so far. Keep looking them over. I need to sort my seeds. Make a plan.
    • 463 posts
    January 2, 2018 4:45 PM PST
    Oh yes..lol..

I’m looking at the Johnny’s seed catalog now and will be ordering 3-beautiful unique zinnias.

Right now I’m mostly planning on adding to my perennial medicinal garden..I will need to buy and that is marshmallow, feverfew, yarrow, purple coneflower (mine died for some reason) licorice plants that I can think of off the top of my head.

I’m going to go full force with making and growing my own herbal medicine gardens (other then just my elderberry that I use exclusively ) as in skin care products like cold cream, muscle rub, and much more.

Didn’t know how important calendula, roses,pansies, dandelion flowers are for skin health/care.
    • 1213 posts
    January 4, 2018 2:09 PM PST
    Yep...I'm working REALLY hard not to over plant this year and just focus on taking care of the trees and berries I've planted in the last 3 years. Maybe just a few containers and the strawberry bed...and the other two gardens....DANG! Already out of control. I have been getting free seeds at the local library and hope to just plant with those. I love the seed catalogs, but I am not a good gardener so perhaps I can save money and kill plants that I got for free this year instead of plants from seeds I paid for.
    • 287 posts
    January 4, 2018 9:32 PM PST
    I looked online at a rare seeds cataloge and had to close out of that window. I could spend a months salary just there.
    • 1441 posts
    January 5, 2018 9:07 AM PST
    We are waiting on our little garden this year. Our trees are growing and the shade is creeping over our bed. We are going to have to move it or have a rather large tree trimmed.
    • 693 posts
    January 11, 2018 9:46 PM PST
    I have several beds that need acidified every year, so at Christmas, I collect the curb side Christmas trees ( with permission) that are short needled firs, before the truck come to pick them up. I also save all the citrus peels & sliver those, then sprinkle them on top of the beds. Both helpf keep the soil acidic. This past fall, I pulled out 7 gooseberry bushes, & plan to replace those with blueberries. Other than that, it is just maintaining the trees & the bushes we already have.
    • 41 posts
    February 7, 2018 8:47 AM PST
    I bought a mini greenhouse a few weeks ago (essentially a shelving unit with a clear vinyl cover over it) and have it in the basement. The grow light my mother handed down to me doesn't fit in there because of the stand. I'll remove the stand and rig the light bulb part of it to hang at the top. I might need to buy more lights to hang from the lower shelves as I fill up the shelves.

I'm not a huge gardener, but I'll start some seeds for the outdoor veg garden.

Then I thought about growing some herbs indoors. Anyone have experience with this? I've started some basil seeds I had sitting around from a previous year. Are there any herbs I can buy from the produce department in the supermarket (not plants) that can be rooted to add to my herb garden?
    This post was edited by lcache at February 7, 2018 8:50 AM PST
    • 2201 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:33 PM PST
    I can't wait until it's warm enough to plant my garden. I currently have spinach, garlic, green onions and carrots in the garden.
    • 2161 posts
    March 8, 2018 7:19 AM PST
    My green peas were up a couple inches and the onions were growing nicely, however, our below freezing overnight temps the last two days may/may not impact them. I did not cover the plants since the winds were up here and the covers would have blown away. Fingers crossed they will be okay.
    • 1338 posts
    April 2, 2018 3:42 PM PDT
    The hyacinths are up and tulips coming up.

The peach tree has beautiful buds on it that look like tiny roses. I understand that those buds mean fruit. We planted that tree in the Fall so not sure if it will produce but we'll see. DH rolled his eyes as he thought it would take another year. We know nothing about peach trees.

The apple tree that was planted in the Fall is a tall stick. It grew a lot. We have no idea how galas grow. It doesn't have buds. It grew a lot since planting.
    • 2201 posts
    April 2, 2018 6:19 PM PDT
    I planted 2 basil plants and a tomato plant. I put in some bell pepper seeds. I will be adding more carrots and a jalapeno pepper plant.
    • 2201 posts
    April 19, 2018 5:37 PM PDT
    I planted the carrot seeds in a planter. I will be planting strawberries in a kiddie pool and squash in another kiddie pool. I bought 2 blueberry plants that were on the markdowns rack for half price. I will plant them in big planters. I am also planting bell peppers and jalapenos in the garden.
    • 3850 posts
    April 21, 2018 3:12 PM PDT
    bought 2 sets of plant bulbs one purple and one yellow only ones they had for bees and butterflies... comes with lilies amemones etc
    • 431 posts
    April 21, 2018 4:57 PM PDT
    not much gardening going on here outside, cold, wet, sick, ect. But houseplants growing great and herbs doing ok
    • 431 posts
    May 5, 2018 5:17 PM PDT
    DH an DS did get 20# potatoes planted and we've got our seed for everything else- all most lol. So later start time will tell. Happy Gardening
    Susan
    • 2201 posts
    May 6, 2018 5:11 PM PDT
    My carrots, thyme and radishes have started sprouting. I have pea sized tomatoes on my tomato plant. The strawberry plant has some strawberries. The blueberry plants have a few blueberries.
    • 2161 posts
    May 17, 2018 6:03 AM PDT
    Picked a few green peas and a couple of cayenne peppers this morning.
    • 431 posts
    May 20, 2018 6:14 PM PDT
    picked a few onions, lettuces, and turnips. Potatoes are up but that's all we even have planted yet been to wet, or sickness ect. Hope we can get corn and beans in this week. Then next week the rest
    Susan
    • 3850 posts
    May 20, 2018 6:32 PM PDT
    funny how lots of you in hot places are almost finished with gardens and ours is barely started ..bought a raised bed and used old burlap sacks as a base. plus a few old hanging baskets as a start for dirt. need to buy soil to make the garden
    • 2113 posts
    June 6, 2018 4:36 PM PDT
    My garden is looking good so far. Blackberries are blooming. One peach tree is dead. WE bought a new one to replace it. The cool weather has been good for the early cabbage. They are growing like crazy. I love garden seaon.
    Babs
    • 2161 posts
    June 8, 2018 12:24 PM PDT
    I went ahead and pulled all the pea vines this morning since they were drying up. Had to spray my green beans because something is eating holes in the leaves. Overall, everything is looking good here, too. I have a few cucumbers that should be ready before long. The squash are beautiful, but only male blooms thus far. I have seen the bees out there, but no squash yet. It happens this way for me every year.
    • 2161 posts
    June 18, 2018 9:34 AM PDT
    Garden update: The cucumbers and peppers continue to yield very well, should have zucchini to harvest soon, squash still with blooms only, green beans are blooming and I have tiny tomatoes on a couple of vines. I am so ready for the fresh green beans and tomatoes.
    • 2113 posts
    June 23, 2018 6:32 PM PDT
    My garden is doing good. peas are blooming, a few small zuchinni are growing. Beans are running up the poles. Cabbage are huge. they liked our cool Spring weather.

Blackberroes had lots of blooms, raspberrys will be ripe in a few more weeks.

Babs
    • 2201 posts
    June 24, 2018 10:40 AM PDT
    My tomatoes are ripening. I have a bowl full of jalapeno peppers. My bell peppers are growing like crazy. Strawberries get picked every few days. I have 2 grilling zucchini that we will take camping with us next week.
    • 3850 posts
    July 15, 2018 10:50 AM PDT
    my tomato plant took over the raised bed so no more stuff planted. threw the wildflower seeds in dead area of land for colour. hopefully will come up. weeds there and will plant the small freebie holly at one end to keep people out. save on a gate.

did a big trim on backyard bushes. dh friend coming over tomorrow to help dh with the clearing of the backarea that has my trumpet vine and clemetis wound together. dig up the little plum tree etc. we cut back a lot last year but now everything tripled garden on steriods this year.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at July 15, 2018 10:53 AM PDT