Forums » Managing Your Money

All Things Financial for 2018

• 2302 posts
    May 16, 2018 9:48 AM PDT
    Glad you were able to post and share LNBee. The little day to day things do impact our overall position more than we realize.
    • 2302 posts
    June 1, 2018 5:47 AM PDT
    We are now at the mid-point month for 2018. It really seems we have just begun this year, and boom, it is almost half way over. I am still trying to keep spending under control and thankful, at this point, to have added no new debt. Simply trying to make do and use what I have on hand unless something essential is needed or there are rock bottom prices that warrant stocking up for the long term. Of course having to adjust for increases in food prices and gasoline costs puts a crimp into things. Moving on...the expenses for the first half of June were paid electronically this morning. An irregular bill for this month is the annual home insurance premium for the rental. That’s over and done with until 2019 so I can check it off the list of things to be paid for this year. One step at the time and goals can be accomplished.
    • 2302 posts
    June 15, 2018 3:21 AM PDT
    I just wrapped up the major financial ins and outs for the month of June. All bills due through the end of the month were transmitted electronically this morning. Money still to go out for gas, groceries, and any minor miscellaneous items, but everything else has been covered.

In review, meeting my financial intentions for the first half of this year has not been as satisfactory as I had hoped. There is still much work for me to do to get where I want to be financially. Everything continues to be a work in progress. My new mantra is “regroup, reassess and move on”. Time for part 2 of 2018.
    • 1442 posts
    June 16, 2018 9:42 PM PDT
    DH has been working 7 days a week. He said that June & December are big bill months as we have HOA bills due (2 to be exact as our development has 2 HOA's) and other things that I can't remember.

Some of my bills have gone up, like LTC insurance, DS1's student loans, gas for the car and a pharmacy med. I calculated my income and what my bills are and I don't make enough. I'll need to figure it out if I can possibly cut anywhere, get more hours, sell things on ebay or sell jewelry. This stuff stresses me out.
    • 3910 posts
    June 17, 2018 11:06 AM PDT
    what does the HOA fees cover? that is stressful when bills go up faster then wages
    • 2302 posts
    June 29, 2018 7:13 AM PDT
    Month #7 is almost upon us!! Christmas will be here before we can bat an eye. My July budget has been finalized, and it is looking to be a pretty standard month. The only non-recurring expense is the semi-annual auto insurance policy. All bills for the first half of July were scheduled and paid electronically this morning. My fingers are crossed that nothing pops up unexpectedly that has to be repaired or replaced during July. Just to have a normal, uneventful month would be nice. Moving on!
    • 1442 posts
    June 29, 2018 11:03 PM PDT
    We have 2 HOA's. Plowing the streets, watering common areas/mowing grass of common areas and allowing useage of the gyms is what they cover. They have a 1 million dollar surplus every year and installed solar panels on gyms, remodeled gyms, and throw a picnic for residents.
    • 3910 posts
    June 30, 2018 10:05 AM PDT
    ah here that would be strata hiring companies to do that job if you lived in a condo or townhouse complex. city is the one who looks after it if you live in a house plowing streets etc.

• 2302 posts
    July 13, 2018 4:14 AM PDT
    All bills for the second half of July were sent out electronically this morning. Hopefully, no financial mishaps for the remainder of the month. There will, however, still be the regular grocery, gas, small miscellaneous purchases to be made. August should be pretty standard since there are no non-recurring bills that are due. Or at least my fingers are crossed that it remains a standard month.
    • 2302 posts
    August 1, 2018 3:41 AM PDT
    Month number eight ... The budget has been finalized and the first half of the August bills were sent out electronically this morning. There are no quarterly, semi-annually or annually “anything” due this month, just the standard expenses. So grateful for that. It will give me time to play catch up with savings for the mega big expenses coming up in December in addition to Christmas. Moving on!
    • 2302 posts
    August 15, 2018 7:07 AM PDT
    August 2018 ✅✅. Another financial month has been checked off for this year for the most part. I finished off the last half of August’s bills by paying everything electronically this morning. There will still be purchases for gasoline, groceries and minor incidentals for the remaining 16 days, but all of the month’s regular expenses have been accounted for and paid.

Coming up...Thinking ahead to September I know there is the annual automobile inspection, registration and taxes due to be paid. Hopefully, those will be the only non-recurring expenses. Also, it’s time to make some tentative plans for Christmas purchases.
    • 2308 posts
    August 15, 2018 1:29 PM PDT
    I paid all of the bills for August and still have some money leftover. I'm trying to pay off 2 credit cards by October. I am saving all of the rebates from Ibotta to pay for the grandkids Christmas presents.
    • 2302 posts
    August 31, 2018 9:28 AM PDT
    The September budget has been finalized, and I sent out the first half of the month’s bills electronically this morning. I got the car’s emissions inspection earlier in the week and will pay the annual taxes and renew the registration today. So....lots of money being spent today to cover everything. Month. Number. Nine. - mind boggling to believe it is almost upon us, but anxious to get it started and move forward. What are you up to financially?
    • 2308 posts
    August 31, 2018 6:41 PM PDT
    I paid the bills due for the first half of the month. I will be glad when I get my credit cards paid off. With my DH being gone most of September my grocery bill will be less.
    • 1442 posts
    August 31, 2018 10:52 PM PDT
    Got my emissions done as well and sent that report & a check to the clerk's office.
    September brings DS2's tuition bill. He had one interview for a job but they picked someone else. He got an email asking for his school schedule. He applies to jobs but no luck so far. This work/study program is tough as far as finding a job on campus and getting paid.
    Bills coming up for DH's surgery and his CC. Both are a doozy and he's working 7 days/wk to pay.
    • 2302 posts
    September 13, 2018 4:24 PM PDT
    Given our impending weather status, I decided it might be wise to go ahead and pay the remainder of September’s bills this afternoon while I still have electrical power. Everything was scheduled to be paid electronically either this evening or tomorrow morning so month number nine is in the rear view mirror. Hopefully there will only be groceries, gas, and small incidentals on the financial front for the next two weeks; but who knows. Moving toward month #10!
    • 3910 posts
    September 13, 2018 5:31 PM PDT
    well the back to school fees still to be paid. more shoes to buy. activities to pay for.. bday and holidays to buy for and celebrate. beginning the school year stock up.

just paid cell phone bill, dh needs to pay a few bills.
    • 2308 posts
    September 17, 2018 11:10 AM PDT
    I paid the last half of the monthly bills this morning. I took some money out of savings to pay off my new couch. No sense paying a lot of interest on a credit card when I have money in the bank that isn't earning very much interest. I should have them paid off next month.. We are buying each adult one Christmas present. We discussed it with DD yesterday. It will save everyone a lot of money.
    • 2814 posts
    September 20, 2018 5:59 AM PDT
    I was able to pay off two credit cards yesterday. Just have one left and the balance isn't big. It's the one we use when we need to use one. I need to look into using one that will earn us some cash back though to use and pay off monthly.

Next goal is a new stove.

kim
    • 2302 posts
    September 21, 2018 7:21 AM PDT
    retired - Congratulations on the pay offs.
    • 2302 posts
    October 1, 2018 8:20 AM PDT
    The October budget has been finalized and all bills due through the 15th of the month were paid electronically this morning. My fingers are crossed for no financial hiccups this month, but one never knows what may come up. I am currently putting aside extra funds for the huge expenses to come due in December (property taxes, homeowner’s annual premium, Christmas in general, and probable higher heating costs). It will all come together, but just the thought of it all adds a bit of stress.
    • 2302 posts
    October 15, 2018 5:35 PM PDT
    Mid October already! Bill payments for the last two weeks of the month were made electronically this morning. Time for me to begin setting up financial plans for the last two months of the year and to start thinking about 2019. I know it’s definitely time to adjust some areas of the budget (gas and food, for example) since costs seem to be rising on a continual basis. I would also like to make a few improvements to my home soon so it is time to make some initial plans for that. Just lots of planning to do overall.
    • 2308 posts
    October 15, 2018 5:49 PM PDT
    I paid off one credit card today and it feels fantastic. Now onto getting the second one paid off in the next month or so.
    • 1462 posts
    October 16, 2018 7:22 AM PDT
    My sisters passing has brought up a lot of things. One of them being the funeral plans for when we are gone. Her funeral was expensive. No plan was made before hand and she did not make her wishes known. I was speaking to my DD on what would need to be done when I am gone. I asked her to help my DH when the time came and let her know my wishes. Can we say inexpensive? Well... We got pretty silly. Do you know you can buy an urn on Amazon? Who knew? The point is and there is one. Does your loved ones know what your wishes are?
    This post was edited by map578 at October 16, 2018 7:23 AM PDT
    • 2302 posts
    November 1, 2018 7:47 AM PDT
    Efforts have been made over the past several months to get all my bills’ due dates changed to the first half of the month. Everything has finally transitioned, as of this month, so I will be able to get everything paid at one time. The November budget has been reviewed and finalized and all bills for the month were sent out electronically this morning. I think I am going to appreciate the once-a-month pay process rather than the split two-pay system I have done for years. Now it’s on to focusing on December (always a very expensive month here) and making plans to financially close out 2018. It’s also time to begin doing some projections for the next year. Moving on!