Forums » Managing Your Money

All Things Financial for 2018

• 1840 posts
    December 28, 2017 3:31 AM PST
    Early Happy New Year!! 2018 - A new year and time to make a fresh start on all things financial. Instead of financial resolutions which tend to be more restrictive and something that I will do or I will not do; I hope to focus more on financial intentions and give myself some grace in knowing it is okay if I complete the task or if I do not.

My financial intentions for the next year are as follows:

1. Refrain from adding any new debt.

2. Continue paying extra, when possible, toward the principal balance on my automobile.

3. Set aside monthly payments for those expenses that come payable quarterly, twice a year, once a year. Use the same process in saving for 2018 Christmas.

4. Add some money to savings each month. No matter how small the amount, just save something.

5. Increase my awareness of how “small” amounts of money misspent tend to impact my financial bottom line in a “big” way.

I am ready to get started with this new year and the new opportunities and the new problems it will bring. All bills due January 1st through January 15th were paid electronically this morning. Here I go, off and running!
    • 1132 posts
    December 28, 2017 9:03 AM PST
    Happy 2018! Good thread. Thanks for starting it.

My financial intentions:
    1) No new debt
    2) keep credit cards paid off every 2 weeks and roll the "rewards" dollars right back into the card
    3) donate 100$/month to charity or friends in need
    4) Pay for the foundation of my new home to be completed
    5) Continue to keep a budget log every month
    6) Cut the food budget by cutting back on convenience foods and food waste

That said...I had candy for breakfast but it was a gift!
    • 3354 posts
    December 28, 2017 9:47 AM PST
    good plans

similar goals

find more work to help pay bills and pay down debt.
    hopefully no new debt

use up items in the house for hobbies
    complete painting and other home renos
    • 1976 posts
    December 28, 2017 11:06 AM PST
    My financial goals are to:
    Keep spending low
    Save as much as possible
    Keep putting 75 a month each towards the grandbabies college funds
    Put money in our savings account to pay for a travel trailer.
    Keep the credit cards paid off
    • 1367 posts
    December 28, 2017 11:55 AM PST
    Our plans are the same (continue paying down the mortgage, our only debt). In addition we need to start making some financial moves as we prepare for retirement because we have a lot of money in tax deferred accounts. Jill
    • 1075 posts
    January 1, 2018 6:26 PM PST
    It will be very much the same as everyone here. With medical/dental being a lot of $, I'll need to save for those. My list includes:

1) I bought ETF shares for passive income.
    2) I will buy some stock and if it does well, cash it out to buy tires for my car next year.
    3) Keep food costs to a minimum and use swagbucks for target gift cards for food.
    4) Get free bagels every month or so from the shop.
    5) Keep trying to pay extra on mortgage and DS1 school loan every month.
    6)Keep trying to sell items on ebay.
    7)Try to get/find more work if MD allows it. If not. I'll do it anyway.
    • 1132 posts
    January 2, 2018 8:06 AM PST
    I got started on my budget stuff already. I found a vintage "bills and things" folder with 13 pockets at a thrift store. It had been 5$ but the "blue tags" (which it was) were 50cents the day I found it so I got it. It's cheaper and more fun than a regular folder. I made a budget sheet for January and stuck it in the first folder section. Didn't spend on the 1st and will pay off my online credit card bill today.
    • 1840 posts
    January 12, 2018 3:22 AM PST
    One financial month of 2018 down, eleven more to go. The last half of January’s bills were paid electronically this morning. My semi-annual auto insurance premium was a special expense this month. Just groceries, gas and small incidental items (hopefully) for the remainder of January. I am trying to be more intentional about all spending this year with a special emphasis on the “little” things.