Forums » In the Kitchen

=JANUARY 2018 Food/Grocery budget-meal planning and meal prep

• 1544 posts
    December 27, 2017 9:23 PM PST
    Wow Ladies, 2017 is about to come to an end, how do you plan to keep your food budgets under control in the new year?
    Please share your food budgeting tops, meal plans and prep plans..

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :-)

Angie
    • 2201 posts
    December 27, 2017 9:52 PM PST
    My budget should be pretty low since my freezer is full of meat. I will just need to buy produce and dairy for the next few months. I will be cooking from scratch more using whole beans and less convenience foods.
    • 1338 posts
    December 28, 2017 2:35 AM PST
    Well, we've been buying loss leaders and I think the "buy only if it's on sale" is the mantra. I also plan on getting gift cards from Swagbucks for Target to buy food. Eggs and rice will be a bigger staple for the house. Free bagels from Einstein will be the plan each month as well.
    • 1441 posts
    December 28, 2017 5:45 AM PST
    Not much of an appetite after all the heavy holiday eating.. I need to work on a healthy meal plan for January.
    I will look for sales frozen fish and shellfish this week. I have chicken breasts out my ears. I also want to look for some meatless meals that don't include beans of any kind. I just don't like them. Not easy at this time of year when all I would like to eat is beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. I also have a Christmas ham in my freezer taking up space that needs to be cooked and will provide several meals.
    • 3850 posts
    December 28, 2017 7:49 PM PST
    hopefully low because house is full of food and goodies
    • 2201 posts
    January 1, 2018 12:24 PM PST
    I went grocery shopping yesterday and spent $145. I bought 4 packages of meat, dairy, and produce. I also bought a case of soda and toilet paper. I needed a few canned items. I should be set for at least a couple of weeks
    • 3850 posts
    January 7, 2018 7:22 PM PST
    spent about 90 dollars between dh and I. he picked up milk, bread bananas and apples but then we were near a safeway with dollar deals so got lunch deals ramen noodles for ds kd cups for dd and kd sidedish $1 each, some frozen sandwiches for dh $ 2 each choc milk quart for $1 so got 2 frozen pergores /a buck, frozen single entrees a dollar. so we are stocked for easy lunches.

good brand of seasoned shrimp on sale for $9 normally 14 so got 2 bags. yogurt, half price processed cheese slices for dh and some lunch meat. pizzas were 3 each so got 3 for dinner.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at January 7, 2018 7:30 PM PST
    • 3850 posts
    January 11, 2018 10:51 AM PST
    shopped again was by an asian market so some goodies coconut bread ramen for ds 3 cans of pop that has pokemon on it. swiss roll. love them from asian bakery because not so sweet.

had to get some reg items at store not the cheapest chicken stock cubes, split peas no bulk.. canned cat food on sale at least. some deals.
    • 575 posts
    January 13, 2018 12:47 PM PST
    I can't think past today right now....
    Dinner
    Leftover Chinese rice and veggie fried rice for me
    Along with taquitos (black bean and cheese) and chicken
    This post was edited by Jayashiangel at January 13, 2018 12:48 PM PST
    • 3850 posts
    January 13, 2018 4:43 PM PST
    got the basics and today stopped at local fruit store spent $20 for apples grapes mandarins bananas nugget potatoes and a pomodo and a container of grape tomatoes. funny how they sell same apples for 69 cents a lb 1.99 at reg store same for other things too
    • 3850 posts
    January 18, 2018 3:50 PM PST
    well spent about 300 dollars between dh and i but we needed to stock up on tp garbage bags etc. 40 bucks for his kcups 80 pk. believe it or not good price from costco. lean ground beef on special for 2.89 a lb so got 5. at the store I was at today stew beef was on sale there only. got 3 packs for the freezer. roasts are cheaper on sale normally. dollar day sales so got canned beans, chips etc all stock up.