Forums » Managing Your Money

How I Saved Money This Past Week....

• 1402 posts
    June 24, 2018 11:23 PM PDT
    Riley- Great job on those savings at Joann's!!

Here's some savings that we got this week:
    1) DH needs an oil change. It's normally $100 but our mechanic will do it for $60 and DH must buy the filter. Savings- $28

2)Got the kids some superhero items for Christmas. A shirt and cap. They were on sale and found an online coupon.
    Savings- $15

3)Got a free $25 gift card for doing a 3 month survey. Savings- $25

4) Borrowed a calculus book from a co-worker. DS2 will be using it for his college class. Savings- $10
    • 2275 posts
    June 25, 2018 9:24 PM PDT
    Lisa,
    Did you hear that Zaycon has suspended business and you can't get on their website?
    • 1402 posts
    June 25, 2018 9:58 PM PDT
    Riley- OMG. I went to their website and I see that it says they will put out more info. I emailed them about it and hope they respond. I'll also check google and see if I can find info. I'm waiting on orders!!
    • 2275 posts
    June 25, 2018 10:45 PM PDT
    I have a bunch of orders pending, 5 cases of chicken, 3 cases of ribs, 1 case of bacon and an order of salmon.
    • 3840 posts
    June 26, 2018 6:40 AM PDT
    yikes hopefully it works out
  • June 30, 2018 10:14 AM PDT
    So a 12 can case of Ginger Ale is on special for $3.33 at Thrifty Foods. I found a coupon for $1.50 off that will bring my cost down to $1.83 plus the taxes and deposit charges. Have 4 bottles to take back which will give me 80cents in return deposit money so the pop will cost me $1.03 +. That's a terrific buy in my opinion. (I know I should not drink pop in the first place but I do). Quite happy with my savings there. Sally.
    • 2788 posts
    June 30, 2018 12:06 PM PDT
    Riley-I had fun at JoAnn's with the coupons too! Some material I wanted at buy one yard get one free, iron Pellon the same, 2 spools of thread, and used the 50% coupon on a spool rack.

kim
    • 2275 posts
    July 4, 2018 10:14 AM PDT
    Retired I'm glad you got to enjoy the coupons from JoAnn's.
    Lisa, I protested the charges to my credit card for the meat orders I won't be receiving. We will see what happens in the next few weeks. Hopefully we will get a lot of our money back.
    • 2275 posts
    July 5, 2018 10:31 AM PDT
    We need to buy a battery for our boat so the guys can go fishing. My BFF and I are going to put our recyclables together and use that money to buy the boat battery. Saves my budget about $60.
    • 3840 posts
    July 12, 2018 9:25 AM PDT
    used the library for free entertainment like normal books dvds video games.
    free education kids in summer school for 14 days.

shopped the great specials at school to stock up pantry for basics. checking flyers always helps. cheap meat. and dollar deals.

used all the free wildflower seeds I have gotten over the last couple of years and planted them in unused land to pretty up. will use the free plants I got to fill it out. holly to block people coming in.

kids got free slurpees yesterday at 711 for their anniversary.

home more so eating at home using up the food we have.

I know there is more but don't remember allergy pill time.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at July 12, 2018 9:33 AM PDT
    • 1402 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:16 PM PDT
    Riley- You should get your $ back from your CC company. Keeping my fingers crossed. Chase didn't argue with me and was quick to respond.

Yes, free slurpees on 7/11....We usually take the kids for that but forgot.

Not much savings this week. Some sugarfree apple filling on clearance so I got 2 cans.
    • 2275 posts
    July 13, 2018 1:50 PM PDT
    Lisa, I have gotten 1/2 of my money back from my credit card still waiting on the other half. Hopefully it will be soon. They said it could take 2 billing cycles. I saved money this week by straightening up the pantry so I know what I have and what I need. I used my savings catcher app, my Ibotta app and my Checkout51 app plus coupons when I went grocery shopping. I saved about $10.
    • 2788 posts
    July 13, 2018 9:08 PM PDT
    Lisa and Riley-I've not heard anything back from Zaycon thru emails. No sign of a refund for me.
    kim
    • 2275 posts
    July 14, 2018 9:17 AM PDT
    Retired, did you pay for your meat using a credit card? If you used a credit card you can protest the charges and you should get your money back from the cc company.
  • July 14, 2018 6:54 PM PDT
    shoppers Drug Mart had Downy fabric softener on for 2.99 a bottle - about 50% off the regular price. I had a coupon for $3.00 off the purchase of 2. So got 2 and essentially got 1 for free. That's the way to do it. Sally.
    • 2275 posts
    July 21, 2018 11:52 AM PDT
    Lisa, I finally got my money back from my credit card company from my Zaycon Foods orders.
    • 1402 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:41 AM PDT
    Riley- Glad you got a refund! Some people are still waiting from my readings online.

Got dental floss for 99 cents each (reg $3). I did buy 2 Gameboy games for DS2 on ebay. Saved $5.
    • 3840 posts
    July 27, 2018 8:50 AM PDT
    that is good lifeofriley wonder if retired did.

can't say saved much this week. money out for kids stuff like bus fare

free entertainment from library
    used moms 30% senior discount to get shorts and household items at value village and got a future 30% discount card good until new year for donating.
    money back from taking cans back to recycling so she got a slurpee.
    packing food from home to save money on vacation and entertainment books, dvds etc.

always try to get the grocery stores sales.

This post was edited by marthamfi at July 27, 2018 8:54 AM PDT
    • 2275 posts
    August 1, 2018 8:48 AM PDT
    I saved money this week when I used my apps after grocery shopping. I got money back using Ibotta and Checkout51. I am saving the money for Christmas shopping. I was $80 dollars under budget on grocery shopping for the 2 week period.
    • 3840 posts
    August 4, 2018 6:34 PM PDT
    saved money on wants ..

a glazing ball for garden 20 bucks down from 40.
    a silk flower wreath for front door 70% off at michaels have looked at it for months. was 69.99 originally
    shopped the sales tbone, rib eye steaks on for 6.99 a lb this weekend. really cheap price here and way cheaper then a restaurant $32 for 4 steaks but since steak like t bone is probably 40 bucks in the restaurant a savings. don't know when the last time I have had a t bone. their fancy ice cream 2.99 for half gallon instead of 5.99 so got 3
    This post was edited by marthamfi at August 4, 2018 6:39 PM PDT
    • 2275 posts
    August 15, 2018 1:37 PM PDT
    I saved money on my grocery bill by buying only what was needed and on my list. I got around $20 back from Ibotta and then noticed that they didn't give me my money back for a steak I had bought and also my ketchup and mayo so I got another $7 back. So a total of $27 into my Ibotta account and $5 into my Checkout51 account. I am saving up the money until Christmas and using it for the grandkids.
    • 1402 posts
    August 16, 2018 12:21 AM PDT
    Riley- That's a great way to stack the savings and use it during the holiday season!

My savings has been on textbooks- saving a lot of $ by buying them online versus the college bookstore. So far, saved $70.

When the oven that we ordered wasn't delivered to the store on time, we ended up taking a floor model and the manager gave us a $140 refund for our troubles.

I have points on my theatre card for a free movie and popcorn.

The body shop gave me a $10 e-card for my birthday, so I went online for free shipping and a "buy 3, get 2 free promo" for body/hand butters. I spent a whopping $8.40 on 5 items that will be so helpful with my uber-dry skin in the winter. Regular price was $30.

I joined AARP this month for $12 (reg $16) and they're sending a free bag that can hold a phone, coins, small items.
    This post was edited by LisaYarosh at August 16, 2018 12:22 AM PDT
    • 3840 posts
    August 16, 2018 8:40 PM PDT
    still the reg ways grocery flyers, using libraries etc

driving a lot less so gas savings $$$

the flapper broke during the night on the toilet...ds the last straw I guess. so he had the idea to get the basically new one out of the one sitting outside waiting for the dump. had a cracked bowl so that is why it had to be replaced. so free basically.
  • August 17, 2018 9:37 PM PDT
    Did my magic again tonight after dinner. Had the coupon where if you spent $25 at Save on Foods, you got a free $10 gift card. So I dropped in there after dinner and spent $27.27 but everything but 1 thing that I got was on sale. It would have been $45.06 without the sale prices. I then went out to the car and packed away that bag. Walked back into the store and spent $14.13 - savings of $2.45 so would have been $16.58 but paid $4.13 for it using the free $10 gift card. All 4 items were on sale too. So in total 2 purchases totalled $61.64 for $32.39 almost 48% off. I was quite happy with my purchases. I also went to Pharmasave and got mouthwash on sale, my denture tablets on sale and 2 bottles of their own brand antacid (like TUMS) heartburn relief pills on sale too. Sally.
  • August 19, 2018 7:49 PM PDT
    Yesterday evening I went to Fairway Market and got some reduced chicken wings. Cost me $5.40 for 9 of them. They are in the oven cooking in shake and bake BBQ chicken mix. They are very large and would have cost me double that if buying ready cooked. I will get 2 servings from the wings - I cut off the tips and cut the wings in half before placing in the oven tray. I also got some pop on sale, some UK curry sauce mix to try for the first time. Sally.