Forums » Managing Your Money

How I Saved Money This Past Week....

• 2275 posts
    February 23, 2018 3:58 PM PST
    I saved money this week by ordering makeup from a friend and if it's not the right shade she will get me the right shade. The makeup should last about a year so it will be cheaper than what I currently buy
    I used my Ibotta app for money back on groceries and some stuff that I ordered from Wal-Mart.com. I did pretty good at saving money this week
  • February 24, 2018 3:19 PM PST
    If you spent $30 at Rexall, you got a $10 coupon to use at a future date. I spent $40 yesterday and went back in today and got my antacid tablets for half price almost. They were 50 tablets(pills) for $20.99 and with tax came to $22.05. $10 off of that so I only paid $12.05 in the end. Yesterday the milk I purchased seemed to be wet at the bottom of the container so guy on the till gave it to me for 49cents instead of $2.49. I brought it home and poured it into a clean empty milk carton. Good until March 5th so will do for my coffees at work. Toilet rolls were on special as were the Bounty paper towels so I got all the items I needed on sale and that made me reach over the $30 total to get the coupon. Win-win situation. Sally.
    • 1402 posts
    February 28, 2018 9:20 AM PST
    I haven't posted in a week, so here's the latest:

1) clearance ground beef for $6. I have to buy until Zaycon delivers in April. :(
    2) Used a subway GC with coupons for free lunches at work.
    3) K-cups for $3.99 box at the supermarket.

• 3840 posts
    March 5, 2018 12:13 PM PST
    besides buying as much as I can with grocery sales and deals of the week. and reg using the library for books and entertainment. like the stock up on ground beef during the sale couple weeks ago.

some things that i can remember always more but you forget as soon as you start to post

dh and i used a movie coupon to see blk panther .. a gift.
    dh got 25 gift card from grocery store ..still waiting for that in mail
    dh got free pack of ground beef/pork mix.
    we didn't go out for dinner date had steaks from freezer instead.
    dollar store for bday cards for the month and some needed items.
    bought two used dvds from library 1 each one for kids social studies and 1 for dh one season of this old house.
    created good passing along karma by giving ds shirts to her son. keeping the cycle going.
    got gas way cheaper then normal
    dh used the 5 cents off each litre of gas from our safeway shopping.

This post was edited by marthamfi at March 5, 2018 12:26 PM PST
    • 3840 posts
    March 26, 2018 2:02 PM PDT
    how I saved money the last while....

drove less so the cheap gas I got a few weeks ago is still going strong. normally have to fill up every week.

entertaining the kids and friends at home..getting cheaper snacks instead of going out or getting pizza in from dominos

watching dvds and reading books from the libraries around here.

eating at home a lot more. eating out of the pantry. things not going to waste because going to the crows and seagulls.

getting a bunch of free house supplies from a house that is being torn down. doors , railings, furnace and water heater. still need to convince dh to get the cement laundry sink dble one.

using what we have on hand like old easter decor ...went to michaels and actually didn't buy anything!
    This post was edited by marthamfi at March 26, 2018 2:07 PM PDT
    • 1402 posts
    March 27, 2018 10:01 PM PDT
    Martha- What a deal to get house items from a home being torn down!

Here's my list:
    1) My car needs brakes. The dealer wanted $1000 ! So, I called a friend who said to buy the brakes and he will install them. Total cost is $241 !

2) Entered DS2 in a contest and got a $20 gift card.

3) Getting ink cartridges refilled at Costco for $7 each.

4) DS2 is trying to look the part of Dr. Strange for his costume for his school project. He's letting his hair grow out and currently, I saved $60 due to that. Next month, we'll get the hairdresser to feather the sides and part the top. I'll try to temporarily dye it. LOL

5) Got new sneakers ( 2 pr) from Overstock for work and everyday wear. Used a 15% discount. Spent $55.

6) DH picked up tons of samples of fabric smell boosters that a store didn't want. I love those.
    • 2275 posts
    March 28, 2018 6:25 AM PDT
    I saved money this week by eating out of the pantry and freezer. We planted part of the garden to save money in the future. I used my cartwheel app when I went to Target and then used my Ibotta app when I got home to save even more off of my purchases. I ordered ribs from Zaycon foods instead of buying at Costco. I comparison shopped dog food for the dogs. I can use 2 different apps to help save even more money.
    • 1402 posts
    April 4, 2018 7:49 PM PDT
    Another try at money savings. Here we go:

1) DH brought home many Olay facial samples from work.
    2) Selling things on ebay. I think after the fees, I still make more than what I could sell at a garage sale.
    3) I had a Target gift card and got DS2 many boxes of corn flakes. The prices there are cheaper than the market.
    4) With the weather getting better, I've been walking to the school and market, so I save gas.
    5) I earned free ebay bucks for the next time I purchase something there.
    • 3840 posts
    April 7, 2018 6:22 AM PDT
    nothing too exciting but it is the same things that save us money.

used a & w meal coupons 3 x eating out this week.

got gas the cheapest I can find 145.9 a litre so about 6 bucks a gallon

used 3 different library for dvds and books.

shopped grocery sales and got some milk etc for 50% off. dollar store for cheap eye glass readers.

not that it was a need 2 more balls of yarn on clearance almost half price. caron cake white truffle a nice neutral they discontinued though they don't have much in the way of neutrals in that line of yarn.

donated a bag of clothes etc to value village and got a couple of deals there on lego and a shirt on half price sale.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at April 7, 2018 6:25 AM PDT
    • 2275 posts
    April 7, 2018 10:16 AM PDT
    We are still eating out of the pantry and freezer. I haven't taken the grandkids to lunch this week. Only buying what we need at the grocery store and no extras. Making sure to eat produce before it goes bad.
    • 1402 posts
    April 9, 2018 8:45 PM PDT
    Here's my frugal list for the week:

1) I have a medical pendant that needed a new chain. I got one on Amazon but it was too big to fit through the hole of the pendant. So, I opened the lobster clasp, put the pendant through it and put a link through it. The pendant hangs with the lobster clasp on it. But I wear it under my clothing, so nobody sees it anyway.
    2) Amazon Prime has a free 30 day trial so I signed up. I'll try to remember to cancel after 30 days.
    3) I'm selling more things on ebay so I got free USPS supplies and they were sent to me for free as well.
    • 2275 posts
    April 10, 2018 7:00 AM PDT
    I saved money this week by using Kohls reward dollars, Kohls cash and a gift card to get 2 pair of capris for free. My DH went through the boxes in the garage and found a toaster and a knife block to use in the travel trailer so I don't need to buy anything. I used a gift card at Hobby Lobby to get some needle point supplies.
    • 1402 posts
    April 23, 2018 12:08 AM PDT
    Some more savings going on here....
    1) I got women's bean project chili kits on clearance. I threw in a bag of meatballs into the chili as well. Only me & DS2 eat meatballs here.

2) Sold more things on ebay. Putting the $ towards bills.

3) DS2 will take a college class at the community college to save money. It's cheaper there than the university. And the credits transfer over.

4) I finally went through all of the sample items that we get at hotels when we travel and am using them up. Some will be donated.

5) I will tell DH not to get me anything for Mother's Day as it's not necessary. Save his $ on something better.
    • 2275 posts
    April 30, 2018 7:01 AM PDT
    I saved money this week by
    1. Not ordering the tennis shoes I have been wanting on Amazon.
    2. By using up items that I already have at home...body wash, hair spray. It's not my favorites but using what I have before buying more.
    3. Using coupons at JoAnn's and then using my Ibotta app to save even more on embroidery floss that was on sale.
    4. Planting my garden using pots that I already had.
    5. Eating out of the pantry and freezer
    • 3840 posts
    May 15, 2018 10:04 AM PDT
    not a frugal month but someways I saved...

of course shopped the grocery sales but between the two stores..got a $10 grocery gift card and a $10 gas card. some 50% off deals too.

used joanns coupons for fabric and yarn saved as much as I spent..not really frugal not a need. also cheaper gas because across the border.

got free passes for movie book club so nice evening out with a friend.

value village 50% off sale so got some cheap summer clothes and hoodies for the kids

using the library for free entertainment.

got a raised bed and used burlap bags I had gotten and saved to line it and now gathering some old hanging baskets with no growth to dump in there to add some soil.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at May 15, 2018 10:16 AM PDT
    • 2275 posts
    May 15, 2018 2:44 PM PDT
    I saved money this week by eating out of the pantry. DS took the leftovers for lunch. I only bought what we needed at the grocery store. I made Mom's mother's day gift. I sent fruit home with DD for the grandkids when DH wasn't feeling good.
    • 2275 posts
    May 25, 2018 4:36 PM PDT
    I saved money this week by buying my new walking shoes after they dropped in price by $20. I have been too busy to go to the stores so no spending money. I only bought what we needed at the grocery store. I sent in a $15 rebate for flea meds that I bought for the dogs. I used my apps for getting money back from Wal-Mart on groceries. We all had leftovers for lunch and dinner this week.
    • 1402 posts
    May 29, 2018 12:34 AM PDT
    I saved money by buying a cheap birthday gift- a season pass to a amusement park that included 3 extra friend tickets and free parking all season. A single ticket costs $40 and parking is $20. Two visits and it pays for itself.

Used a Target gift card for college stuff, cereal and toiletries.

Used a LL Bean gift card for a jacket.

Received a fruit basket and will make an apple pie.
    • 1402 posts
    June 2, 2018 3:18 PM PDT
    It's not been easy saving anything, but I'll list the latest savings.

1) Got free tire rotation/air in my tires.
    2) BOGO on ice cream at the market
    3) Bananas dropped to 49 cents a lb now.
    4) DS2 got embroidered patches at the Boy Scout store for 10 cents each.
    5) I bought a discount dental plan that saved me $100 on a filling (I paid $112 for it). My dental plan from work offers free cleaning and x-rays so I used that one for the x-rays.
    6 )Costco wouldn't let me buy more than 4 boxes of contacts so I bought more at lens.com and it was cheaper than other online places and the eye dr. office.
    ) I got my mega b vitamins on ebay. They are very expensive, even direct from the company but I saved a lot from ebay.
    • 2275 posts
    June 2, 2018 7:32 PM PDT
    I saved money this week by buying sport sandals at Costco for camping. I paid $5 a pair looked on Amazon and they wanted $25 a pair. Bought bath towels for the trailer for $5 each. Bought makeup to wear during the summer from the drug store instead of ULTA since I spend s lot of time in the pool and with the dogs that like to lick it off. Using up the groceries in the fridge before they go bad. Car repair was covered by warranty. I went shopping with my BFF at JoAnn's and didn't buy anything. Used my Wal-Mart savings catcher money to pay for some embroidery supplies that I ordered and got free shipping since I will pick it up at the store. I used my Ibotta app after I went grocery shopping to save money.
    • 3840 posts
    June 7, 2018 4:33 PM PDT
    not much savings besides grocery sales... used the free $10 gift card at the grocery store today.
    stayed out of the thrift stores with my friend.
    saved the defrosted meat from the opened freezer.
    used anniversary coupon for free breakfast at ihop and 2 ent coupons in the last week with friend.
    got really cheap gas once in the last week.
    used the library for cheap entertainment

got cheap flower baskets seconds $5 each.
    This post was edited by marthamfi at June 7, 2018 4:35 PM PDT
    • 2275 posts
    June 7, 2018 5:36 PM PDT
    I saved money by using my reward points at Walgreens and a buy one get second for 50% off to buy sunscreen. I had $10 in reward points. Then I went to Hobby Lobby to get a sign to put on the wall to welcome visitors. I used a 40% off coupon. Then I went to JoAnn's and got 20% off my order and then I used my Ibotta app to save another 15%. I got free shipping to Wal-Mart for items that I ordered.
  • June 17, 2018 7:26 PM PDT
    Went to the new Save on Foods this afternoon. If you spent over $25 you got a free $10 gift card. So I went and spent $28 there on items that was on my shopping list. If you go to the pharmacy and spend $30 you get another $10 gift card but can't be on the same visit. So I'll go back in the morning and get razors and my antacid pills and that will be over $30 and I'll get another free $10 gift card.
    The store had some own brand items that were cheaper than the brand name ones that I buy so got those instead. Western Family canned tomatoes and their own brand Worcestershire sauce. It just goes in stews and I saved over $2.00 getting the cheaper version. The tomatoes were a huge 798 ml can for $1.49 instead of $2.47 so nearly a $1.00 per can savings there too.I was hungry when I went in the store and purchased 6 chicken wings for $4 and got a frozen yogurt dessert for $2.00. I sat down and ate 3 of the wings and the yogurt dessert but took the 3 remaining wings home to eat later tonight.

I went to Walmart yesterday with Cathy and Leslie and the store had a reduced price rack. I got a huge cantaloupe melon for $2.00, a bag of 4 onions for $1.00 and a red pepper and a yellow pepper that were huge for $2.00. Cheaper than getting them from the regular pepper section.

Took back 2 big bags of empty cans and water bottles that Cathy gave me yesterday and received $5.60 in cash back. Used $5 of that to get another bottle of TUMS as Pharmasave still does not have their own stomach tums in the store. So they were free.
    Sally.
    This post was edited by SandrapreviouslySallybabe at June 17, 2018 7:37 PM PDT
    • 3840 posts
    June 24, 2018 6:12 PM PDT
    shopped the sales. smokies on for deal of the week 5.99 instead of 11.99 so got 3 bags.
    redeem points for free dominos pizza for part of dinner tonight
    used library for free entertainment and shopping the grocery deals.
    • 2275 posts
    June 24, 2018 7:57 PM PDT
    I saved money this week by shopping at JoAnn's. They were having a big BOGO free sale. I got free thread, free quilt squares, $10 off my order plus 50% off of a few items . I ended up saving $60 by using the coupons and then I used my Ibotta app to get back another $13.