Forums » Managing Your Money

How I Saved Money This Past Week....

• 1994 posts
    November 18, 2017 7:29 PM PST
    I saved money this week by not taking grandson to lunch. We ate leftovers instead. We still haven't turned on the heat. We are using the electric fireplace and extra blankets to stay warm. We keep the house between 68-70 degrees. I even turned the heat down at DD'S house. We have been eating out of the freezer and pantry all week. I have most of my Xmas shopping done already without going into the store. I got free shipping on everything and money back using Ebates and Ibotta apps. I bought all of my crafts on sale and my yarn on sale and with rebates.
    • 3409 posts
    November 26, 2017 7:28 PM PST
    not a cheap week but saved on dd teen party by going to costco for the cheaper movie passes. 29 for two plus popcorn/pop would be 50 bucks at theatre.

her bday cake was frosting and cake mix in the pantry already. leftover plates and decorations from previous bdays. dominos pizza deals for pizza. 40 bucks for 3 large

got deals on groceries bacon isn't cheap here even crappy cheap stuff is like 7 bucks a pack so stocked up on the good stuff for the freezer 3.99 a pack. got corn cob smoked new thing for me peppered and applewood smoked.

have 2 gifts finished..they don't know they are getting them but they deserve them scarves for moms group volunteer plus we do xmas gift fun exchange so washcloths with body stuff from gift kit. all crocheted so just yarn and time.

This post was edited by marthamfi at November 26, 2017 7:36 PM PST
    • 1994 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:55 PM PST
    I saved money this week by eating out of the pantry. We used up a lot of leftovers. DH worked on unclogging the kitchen sink instead of calling a plumber. I bought the grandkids Xmas gifts while they were on sale, got free shipping and money back from Ebates. DH had some property that we own reevaluated and it lowered the amount of our yearly property taxes by $800 yearly.
    • 1111 posts
    November 27, 2017 12:52 AM PST
    Martha- Those are great deals. Domino's and Costco were great. Our Costco offers passes but they are about $9 each AND the theatre charges a surcharge of $1 !! Not much of a bargain to us....

Riley- Great savings on taxes. Very cool.

Here's My Fab Frugal Five for this week:

1) Found bags of yolk free egg noodles for 99 cents a bag. I use them in chicken soup, egg & noodles, etc... Savings- $4

2) In a earlier general chat post, you may have seen how I fought my insurance company and won. I can now buy one life saving medication for $75/mth instead of $300/mth. Savings- $2700/yr

3)The free trial Keurig coffee maker is working well and I can still order 8 more boxes of brews/chocolate for free.
    Savings- $180

4) Since taking a job closer to home, I don't drive much. I used to buy tires every year or so. This is going to be year 3 on my tires and there is tons of tread. GOOD. Savings- $800 +

5) Went to IHOP for dinner last night. Used a gift card that was given to us as a gift. Savings- $43
    • 785 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:55 AM PST
    Lisa, wonderful news about the lower price for your necessary medication. Riley ditto on the lower property taxes.

Can't access the list (for now) I had been putting together in the old laptop, but from memory I believe it was mostly the usual stuff of careful shopping and looking for bargains.

Cooked up the turkey frame and froze 2 quarts broth and 1 quart chopped meat. Later this week I will put together a turkey pot pie, also using the extra pie dough and scraps from the freezer.

Leftover turkey and sides for lunch yesterday, along with frozen garden green beans. Enough left of that to fill and freeze a partitioned dinner plate. Pizza for lunch today using the freebie crust from DDIL, homemade sauce from the freezer, and will saute onions and green peppers for the topping. Bought the mozzarella slices at Aldi's.

Starting Wednesday will be 9 days of hosting our young friend from Brazil. Trying to balance generosity with frugality. We will eat out a few times and do some day trips but try to cook at home as much as possible.

This post was edited by LNBee2 at November 27, 2017 4:06 AM PST
    • 1111 posts
    December 4, 2017 1:37 AM PST
    Here is my frugal fab five for the week:

I got DH a pr of cargo shorts from LL Bean. After $20 in promo e-cards and a gift card, my total came to $4.54. Savings- $40

Went to Target with a gift card and got apples & cheese. Savings- $8

I'm cutting DS2 hair. Not in the budget this month. Savings- $25

Got 6 packs of dental floss from ebay vs the supermarket. Savings- $2

Got Olay face creams from ebay- Savings $40
    • 3409 posts
    December 4, 2017 12:07 PM PST
    nothing too exciting....

since fabric softener is so concentrated so the amount you have to use is so small doesn't really work well in the part I put it in the washer so use water to top it off. so you use too much. so back to splitting the bottle into 4 bottles and filling them with water so it lasts longer.

shopping the sales so I can feed the family and donate...good dollar deals and sales.
    bought bogo sausage rings and marked out fancy pork loin we usually find they arent worth buying not on sale.

gathering things bought on sale last year for gift or unused gift given the kids and regift
    This post was edited by marthamfi at December 4, 2017 12:14 PM PST
    • 2020 posts
    December 4, 2017 1:29 PM PST
    Gave away some toys and hope someone can use them for Christmas, gave away some uniforms to the neighbors, made a cake for my dd's birthday and used good sales to get her a comforter for a good price. We ordered pizza, a more expensive kind but everyone loves it. I found a few more stray femine hygiene products in the closet. Cleaning up the upstairs and will be able to use some clothes that were up there. I am using up canned fruit, if I put the cans of pears in the fridge the kids eat them up.
    • 76 posts
    December 4, 2017 2:07 PM PST
    DH did some small fix it jobs around the house this weekend. We also ate out of the freezer and pantry as well. Will continue to "grocery shop" at home until the end of the week.
    • 1994 posts
    December 7, 2017 7:21 PM PST
    We saved money by eating out of the pantry even though everyone is sick. I found pizza flour at the grocery store for about half of the price that Amazon wanted for theirs. I ordered coffee at the lowest price after comparison shopping and received free shipping. I use a travel mug to save money. I have been buying meat from Zaycon Foods. The prices are better than Costco.
    • 1111 posts
    December 15, 2017 1:52 AM PST
    Here's my next Fab Frugal Five:

1)Shopping for new homeowner's insurance as ours wen up 50% !! We found one for about 30% more instead of 50 %..we'll keep looking but this is the best so far.

2) I found $15 at work and turned it in to see if someone claimed it. After 2 weeks, nobody claimed it, so it's mine, which will go towards my CC.

3) DH is buying wood smoking pellets for $5/bag. He usually spend $20/bag. The thing is, he has to buy 26 bags!!

4) Got a free Blistex lip balm from the free Friday download item at the store.

5) I picked up free downy scent booster packs from the store as they were giving them away.
    • 3409 posts
    December 15, 2017 7:34 AM PST
    got treated to two meals by friends this week.

shopped sales .got disc advent calendars for .99 each

got gas cheap not common here anymore prices jump up and down all the time.

ate from the pantry mostly which is good.

found xmas cards to use from previous years that were on sale

gave to xmas sally ann drive stuff in the house that was new but not used or opened. craft kits and toys. so win win declutter and some other kid can use them.

using the library for free entertainment. getting desp. me 3 for tonight.

This post was edited by marthamfi at December 15, 2017 7:39 AM PST
    • 2715 posts
    December 16, 2017 10:39 AM PST
    I was able to use a coupon app plus sales to get DH a coat for $38 down from $90.

Present for niece was $12 instead of $30 (jeggings).

Using paper coupons, digital coupons, and sales, we were able to save 38% on groceries.

We got 2 sliced beef sandwiches that were so packed with meat that we have each gotten 3 meals out of them.

Got books from the library. One that I almost ordered from Amazon, so I saved $25 there.

kim
    • 1994 posts
    December 16, 2017 12:24 PM PST
    I saved money by eating out of the pantry all week. I bought generic cough and cold meds instead of name brand. I used a bunch of money saving apps on Christmas gifts and got free shipping on all of my items. I bought a box of 8 roasts from Zaycon Foods for about half of what I would of paid at Costco. I have been carpooling with my BFF to save gas money when we go shopping. I turned down the heat in the house.
    • 2715 posts
    December 20, 2017 4:19 PM PST
    I got a few great deals at the store today. DH loves ham and I found one marked down from $27 to $19 then I had a $12 coupon. I found go a pkg of 90/20 beef marked down almost half price and had $1 off coupon. I also got a pkg of strip steaaks at half price for our Christmas meal.
    All in all, I was happy.
    kim

• 3409 posts
    December 21, 2017 1:40 PM PST
    that is great meat deals retired. wish we had more coupon deals here. always deals on stuff you don't really need more off like craft or knickknacks

though I shopped until I dropped. watched the flyers and sales to stock up. plus the 50% area of one store. got the ham for 1.45 a lb

got cheap gas and as usual used the library. and all the xmas movies on tv

used the pantry more then 50% off the time. made a big batch of chili which ds ate all weekend so no leftovers to freeze but froze 4 containers of the spaghetti sauce I made so lots of variety and easy meals for the holidays plus entertaining.

got deals on stocking stuffers and presents.

plan to go to all the free activities over the holidays lots of big holiday light displays

This post was edited by marthamfi at December 21, 2017 1:51 PM PST
    • 1111 posts
    January 24, 2018 12:05 AM PST
    Here's the latest on my frugal activities...

Used Swagbucks to get a $50 giftcard and got a free vacuum. The old one will be used for the cars. I even got 2 boxes of cereal as well.

We did get different insurance carriers for homeowners and car. The home was 60% off and car was a 10% savings with a better policy.

Zaycon was running a ground beef sale so I paid $3.20/lb for 93% lean beef. My store never offers that price, even on clearance.

I sold some items on ebay and was given a refund on shipping a package as I overestimated the weight. Cool.

Market trying to unload holiday hams so I got one for .75/ lb.

I'll be returning a sweater to get a $80 gift card to LL Bean.

After much searching, I finally found a place that can laser print photographs and copy them. Most places wanted to scan my photos and then transfer them to a USB in order to print for a total of about $20 for 3 photos!! OfficeMax can copy them for .71 a page. Wow. This digital age costs waaayyyy too much......

• 1994 posts
    January 24, 2018 6:21 AM PST
    I used my credit card reward points to get gift cards to go out to dinner with our friends this weekend. We are eating out of the pantry. I only bought sale items at Target, used my red card and saved another 5%. Then I came home and used my Ibotta app and my Checkout 51 app to save even more money.
    • 3409 posts
    January 24, 2018 8:46 PM PST
    forgot about this thread today

used the library for free entertainment got dvds and books for the family.

got salad kits and yogurt for 30% off at the store today plus other sales deals like pancake syrup for 98 cents. ramen noodles on sale for ds japanese brand he like that is a dollar but were .67 cents limit 12 pb 2.97 cheap on sale. they had a few deals like that today.

free moms group plus bought snacks that were free cookies given to us
    This post was edited by marthamfi at January 24, 2018 8:53 PM PST
    • 76 posts
    January 28, 2018 11:46 AM PST
    A local grocery store here had chuck roasts, buy 1 get 1 free. I bought 2 and got 2 free yesterday. I vaccum sealed them and we now have enough roast for awhile. DH loves roasts so many different ways and it's nice to have them stashed in the freezer.

Doing some organizing a little at a time and having really good luck selling some of it.
    • 1153 posts
    January 29, 2018 10:35 AM PST
    waited for the color tag sale at thrift before buying a shirt (2$ vs 4$), and chose my fruit and veg groceries for the week based entirely on price per lb> So it's bananas and pears instead of salad.
    • 1111 posts
    February 7, 2018 9:41 AM PST
    Ok, BFF's (Best Frugal Friends)! How did you save this past week? Here's my tally:

1) DS2 needed socks so I had a JCPenney GC and got him two packages (buy one , get one 50% off) and got myself an undergarment. I spent $3 total.

2) The church bake sale is here and I bought lots of plastic cupcake boxes, clear boxes, plastic bags, tags and ribbon for the treats several years ago. Some were free and some were ebay items. I've been using them every year.

3) On days I work extra hours, I drive home for lunch. No spending a thing for food.

4) I got an email stating my Starbucks points are expiring! Ack! So, I'll get DS2 a sandwich for lunch tomorrow. Free for me.

5) DH overestimated property taxes. With that knowledge, he took the extra $ and put it on the mortgage principal. Yay.
    • 3409 posts
    February 7, 2018 9:23 PM PST
    somethings the same dvds free from library along with books.

got free 12pk of yogurt because of wrong price at till.

shopped all the sales for groceries saved a bunch