Forums » News and Announcements

Regarding Spam in this Forum

• 7 posts
    September 22, 2017 7:03 AM PDT
    Hello All,

We know there have been many, many instances of spam being posted here in the Forums. As we have mentioned in the past, it is not cost effective for us to have a Dollar Stretcher employee monitor for spam. There simply are not enough active members nor traffic to warrant the cost.

For now, we have turned off the ability for those posting to post clickable links. You certainly may continue to post URLs to sites you would like to share with others, but they will not be clickable. Forum members can then copy your URL and paste it into their own browser. This should help deter the spammers.

By January 1, as much as we do not want to take away the small community you have here, we likely will be shutting down the forums. This should give you remaining active members a chance to form a group on Facebook or on another forum to continue sharing ideas and keeping up with one another.

Thank you for being a part of the Dollar Stretcher community and we hope we can continue to provide you with frugal living tips and personal finance advice over on the main site.

Thank you,
    The Dollar Stretcher Team
    This post was edited by admin at September 22, 2017 7:42 AM PDT
    • 339 posts
    September 22, 2017 6:11 PM PDT
    Very sad to hear, been on this site since 2000-my first computer lol. I can't use facebook because of DH. The dollar stretcher has been a great blessing to me so anyone who wants to start a group please let me know
    • 2051 posts
    September 23, 2017 3:25 PM PDT
    this is sad as many of us have een here since nearly the beginning.
    • 688 posts
    September 23, 2017 8:16 PM PDT
    I am so sorry to hear that the forums will end Jan 1st. I have appreciated the friendships, and the support of those who have posted here, & will miss you all. Since I also do not do Facebook, when the forums end, it will be goodbye.
    • 3354 posts
    September 24, 2017 9:17 AM PDT
    Since you stopped the ability of posting links that should be the end of spammers...can you consider not closing the forum. The forum is why most of us come here so your site traffic will go down quite a bit. We do appreciate the work it takes to keep a site going on your end.
    • 1276 posts
    September 24, 2017 11:23 AM PDT
    So sad that a minority of "people" can ruin something the majority of us enjoy and rely on for many different reasons. :(

Angie
    • 3354 posts
    September 27, 2017 8:38 AM PDT
    i thought people can't post links but they can
    • 13 posts
    September 27, 2017 11:57 AM PDT
    We turned off the html coding section. But that didn't prevent a spammer from manually coding a link. So now we shut off any new members. Hopefully that'll stop the spammers. But, spammers aren't the only reason to shut down the forum for new posts at some point in the future. It costs both time and money to keep them up. Time and money that could be used to create articles/newsletters that are read by thousands of people. If we're true to our frugal living philosophy we should spend our resources where they can help the greatest number of people. I see two possible solutions that would allow your group to continue. One would be a private Facebook group that only members could read and contribute. A second possibility would be for one of you to set up a wordpress blog that allowed for comments.
    • 3354 posts
    September 27, 2017 1:40 PM PDT
    thanks for letting us know.
    • 1331 posts
    September 28, 2017 10:01 AM PDT
    Just an FYI - a private Facebook group for forum members has been going for about a year now. I believe Martha already mentioned it in one of the daily posts.
    This post was edited by JessYeast at September 28, 2017 10:02 AM PDT
    • 1132 posts
    September 28, 2017 6:05 PM PDT
    I will miss the forums and the support! I don't facebook so it's unlikely you all will see me over there.

Thank you to Gary and all the moderators for the years of work and blood and sweat and tears and joy.
    • 2016 posts
    September 29, 2017 5:52 AM PDT
    Just like here, totally possible to be ananomous and use a different name on facebook. Susan might be the exception as she can't be on facebook because of a spouse, I am assuming his job does not allow social media, although that is super rare. For those who have not tried it, most people end up really enjoying it.
    I will miss this forum! Thanks for having it.
    • 339 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:22 PM PDT
    Tracy your a mean girl or boy but you don't know it.
    • 1132 posts
    October 1, 2017 6:57 PM PDT
    susan said: ''Very sad to hear, been on this site since 2000-my first computer lol. I can't use facebook because of DH. The dollar stretcher has been a great blessing to me so anyone who wants to start a group please let me know''
    -------------
    how would one start a group?
    • 2051 posts
    October 1, 2017 7:53 PM PDT
    we could do a closed facebook group. no one can post but members. We have a family one.
    I have no idea how to do anything else.
    • 1132 posts
    October 2, 2017 8:20 AM PDT
    I've done a shared blog on blogspot with some friends and my sister, we could all make posts and comment but no one else can see it, just those who are signed up.

And I've done just personal email group lists in the past were we simply email each other. That only works well for 20 people or fewer. i haven't managed to do an official google or yahoo group and I'm just not willing to be on facebook for a variety of personal reasons
    • 1348 posts
    October 2, 2017 8:31 AM PDT
    Sounds good to me Maggie I would be in. But I have no clue how to set one up.
    • 1331 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:42 PM PDT
    Susan, I'm not sure how Tracy is mean by making a suggestion....a lot of people DO Facebook under a different name. She was just pointing out it was an option for you. If you don't want to join the Facebook group, then don't. We were just letting people know that there is a closed Facebook group already established where members from here post and chat.
    • 339 posts
    October 3, 2017 6:10 PM PDT
    I'm very sorry if I upset anyone on this site a anytime I didn't mean to but some times you have pick your battles when you have been married for 36yrs. Have a great forum after this but I'm going to post till the end.
    • 1132 posts
    December 11, 2017 3:51 PM PST
    So is Dec 31 the final day? Will the exisiting posts still be viewable once the forums are shut down?
    • 2051 posts
    December 19, 2017 7:36 PM PST
    no idea, Maggie, do you want to start a shared blog. I have no idea how to do ant of this, we only have a short time to do something
    • 1132 posts
    December 22, 2017 9:00 AM PST
    Well, I couldn't figure out how to do it again. My friends and I had that years ago. I guess technology has progressed and I have not. Sorry!