Forums » Education

The Price of Education Today

• 1301 posts
    August 4, 2014 4:31 AM PDT

School supplies and uniforms have gotten expensive.

What are you spending to get the kids ready for school this year?

This post was edited by Stretcher Brandy at August 4, 2014 4:43 AM PDT
    • 412 posts
    August 9, 2014 8:36 PM PDT

couple hundred dollars...mostly cus the local teachers store had a big closing sale so stocked up on workbooks for future years.  plus a couple of science kits.

• August 14, 2014 2:34 PM PDT

$278 mike books FEE  $59

$365 SARAH BOOKS FEES $135

• 1301 posts
    August 15, 2014 7:08 AM PDT

Gayla, are these college book fees?

• August 18, 2014 7:58 AM PDT

these are fee for thing the work on   mike is for the computer  things 

sarah fees are for special things the work on and with I know the are going to Raliegh to watch a bill about social service  honestly  i dont what for the computer enrolled Mike at 16  winter quarter  i was thrilled for SARAH TO START IT TOOK A COURT ORDER . 

theses two are the last our schoool days are over  almost

• 40 posts
    August 18, 2014 10:18 AM PDT

We gifted our son/wife with $250 to buy the 2 grandons some new shoes, jeans, shirts, backpack and some supplies.  It is great to be able to help out in this way.

• 124 posts
    August 18, 2014 2:27 PM PDT

About $20 for class and $100 for shoes/clothing so far. Our schools provide all necessary supplies and books for public education so parents don't (and really can't) send school supplies--they ask nicely to donate to class as a whole so it's uniform. Teachers can put out a list of "voluntary donations" and we can help out with those. I have sent kleenex tissue, hand sanitizer, packets of pencils and boxes of crayons.

DH (a teacher) spent $56 so far on his classroom (he gets reimbursed) and that was mainly notebooks, pencils, pens. He had a parent donate 40 folders so he didn't have to buy many of those. He will see what he needs at the end of this week adn what supplies have been donated and then do another trip to the store (WalMart has best prices in his comparison). He has $250 to spend (as do all teachers in the public school district). I know he needs dry-erase markers and kleenex. He needs much less than elementary teachers--no glue, crayons, markers.

My middle DS and youngest needed new shoes. Oldest DS needed new soccer gear. But outside of that, no clothing really.