Forums » Recipes

bean soup stock

• 704 posts
    August 3, 2014 8:01 PM PDT

i took this ladies class because I thought i knew all there was to makeing stock & broth after all i teach yearly for 15 years ..  she blew me away I could wait to make this didn't mention this to anyone in the family I made with out a doubt the best pinto beans Iever did and my family loved them ...

bean soup stock

2 tablespoons dried parsley

1 tablespoon thyme

1 tablespoon marjorm

2 bay leaves

2 tablespoon celery seed  

1 meaty ham hock abut 2 1/2 -3 lbs

3 quarts water

1 tablespoon salt

measure parsely, tyme, majorm, baby leaves and celery seed  into a square clothsecurely at the top with string. Combine with ham hock, water and salt in stock pot Bring slowly to a boil . removing sucm and fat as they float to the top.  Cover and simmer 2 1/2 - 3 hours . Do not boil or fat will be reabsorbed into the broth and will make it cloudy . Refrigerate overnight   Skim and discard fat that floats to the top cut the ham off bone. Reserving onlly very lean meat .  Dice and return to stockpot with seasoning pouch .  Discard ham bones and ham fat . Use the stock at once or store in freezer or up to 2 weeks in refigerator.  

this made the best pinto beans  even dh asked what I did different he was amazed ... it works with any kind of beans ...  I paid $75 for the class but now i know i post more stocks tomorrow off to bed...