Forums » Around the House

The Magical Baking Soda

• 964 posts
    July 29, 2014 4:59 AM PDT

Baking soda is one of those things that can be used all over the house and it's really cheap to buy.

I use it to keep the fridge fresh, to clean the sinks, to scrub in the bathroom, in some dishes I cook and even in my hair.

How many uses do you have for baking soda?

• 248 posts
    August 6, 2014 9:34 PM PDT

Good as toothpaste or denture cleaner, put in cat litter pans to cut the odor and sprinkle on basement floor where they have , uh, peed, as a paste for bug bites, cleaner for dishes when combined with vinegar

• 385 posts
    August 7, 2014 10:04 AM PDT
    My uses include: dead skin exfoliator, mixed with peroxide to brush teeth, clean tarnished silverware and silver jewelry, as a deodorant.
    • 101 posts
    August 14, 2014 7:17 AM PDT

I use in the fridge for freshener, sprinkle on carpets and vacuum for an easy deodorizer, mix with water for a scrubbing paste for cleaning the kitchen and bath sinks/tub. I've also sprinkled some in the dishwasher to deodorize it.

Growing up, we used it for teeth brushing. I remember having a jar in the bathroom and sprinkling a bit in my hand and dipping my toothbrush into it.

I should try it for cleaning silver jewelry! Great idea!

• 964 posts
    August 14, 2014 7:22 AM PDT

And now you can buy toothpaste WITH baking soda, Mamasjob.

• 328 posts
    August 20, 2014 6:01 PM PDT

scrub the sinks, for adding to soak pans..water soap and some baking soda seem to soak off baked on grime faster.   use it mixed with warm water for gas problems.