Forums » Hobbies and Crafts

Caron Cake Yarn patterns..what are you doing

• 3840 posts
    January 2, 2017 9:06 AM PST

Very popular the Caron Cakes or Sweet rolls in other stores.  the mixture of colours and the blend.  I have rainbow sprinkles, funfetti, lilac frosting, and gelato.  dd wants a blanket from the rainbow sprinkles.  plan a virus shawl from gelato.  Here is a few fun patterns for the cakes.  

http://thecrochetcrowd.com/caron-cakes-pattern-ideas/

http://thecrochetcrowd.com/tag/caron-cakes-patterns/

• 1271 posts
    January 2, 2017 4:42 PM PST

I'm halfway through a virus shawl for my mom's birthday in Faerie Cake. I'm on my second cake for her shawl out of two. I finished up a scarf using The Crochet Crowd's ribbed scarf tutorial yesterday for DH in Cake Pop. With the fringe it took around 1 3/4 cakes.

This post was edited by JessYeast at January 2, 2017 4:43 PM PST
    • 3840 posts
    January 6, 2017 8:28 PM PST

lovely.. I like the new colours coming out better then ones they are retiring. can't wait

• 3840 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:51 AM PST

was bad and shopped for more yarn online the new colours and in store...at least can be gifts lol

• 1271 posts
    January 9, 2017 6:31 AM PST

Same, I bought 3 cakes of Strawberry Trifle online. I might go back and get Lilac Frosting before it retires to make my MIL something for Christmas. Purple is her favorite color, and I like it with the cream. Maybe another virus shawl, or a scarf of some sort

• 3840 posts
    January 9, 2017 3:12 PM PST

I had to make it worth it to ship and used the 20% off coupon.  3 each berries n cream, spice, blueberry kiwi, mixed berry and rainbow sherbet.  with shipping and exchange rate works out to the same price as sale price here.   got free shipping too. 

This post was edited by marthamfi at January 9, 2017 3:14 PM PST
    • 3840 posts
    June 22, 2017 10:16 AM PDT

I have gotten lots of cakes and now they have come out with new ones!! baby cakes and cotton cakes.     have made a few scarves and gifted them.   working on a few wips. tote, shawl, afghans

• 3840 posts
    September 7, 2017 9:26 PM PDT

more cakes and colours!! and sale tomorrow..will be shopping. made more scarves, a blanket and lots of wips on the go. like a poncho for dd. 

• 554 posts
    September 7, 2017 11:10 PM PDT

Love me some cake style yarn (have to use Sweet Roll since most of the cakes have wool) I love to make blankets with them.. but I just plain like the crazy style of the yarn....This is one of the blankets I completed....But Iam thinking a bag using this yarn would be great too......Love those new Bigger Rolls just saw them for $9.99 @ Micheal's.....Must use coupon for savings as well...

This post was edited by Jayashiangel at September 7, 2017 11:13 PM PDT
    • 3840 posts
    September 8, 2017 7:58 AM PDT

lovely blanket! I have some sweet rolls but acrylic is not my thing.  you are lucky being in the states !  so many better deals.  they had 40% off yarn a couple of days ago. They came out with ones with no wool. the big cakes and cupcakes.  too bad about the wool. can you wear gloves ?   I love the cakes and going shopping today for the sale!!   hobby lobby is opening in bellingham next spring!  want to try their cakes. 

• 3840 posts
    September 8, 2017 8:01 AM PDT

funny in the groups there is lots of people who can't handle the colour changes so they cut and make everything even or cut up and make different balls of yarn from the colours. 

• 1421 posts
    September 13, 2017 5:41 PM PDT

I have all kinds and types of yarn ... just don't have time to make anything anymore still working on Grandson blanket he starts high school in a few days 

• 3840 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:38 PM PDT
    my retro look blanket out of caron cakes in the stacking blocks pattern
    This post was edited by marthamfi at October 2, 2017 4:39 PM PDT
    • 3840 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:40 PM PDT
    another blanket I did out of 4 cakes
    • 554 posts
    October 3, 2017 9:00 AM PDT
    Joanna's Premier Brand Sweet Rolls...a spin on the Caron Cakes I just recently seen Walmart is carrying Lion Brand Mandala style cakes under $5 each..and Hobby Lobby is carrying a cake style to Sugar Wheel.....

Just finished this Vest-Triangle Shawl...For my niece who wears a 12-14 in girls for Xmas using the sweet rolls took 3.25. over 3 but less then 4 LOL...

The shawl is a for an adult S/M/L so it should be a little big but will last a long time in the future vs just one season...

It worked up very quickly do a granny style repeat.....The armholes are made just by skipping and chaining a certain # of chains to allow you to come back on the next row and pick the granny stitch back up and work project until finished....P.S. Very addictive....

Best part is the pattern is FREE and comes in 2 sizes (S/M/L) and Plus size

http://www.thesnugglery.net/single-post/2016/11/19/Caron-Cake-Triangle-ShawlScarf

This post was edited by Jayashiangel at October 3, 2017 9:02 AM PDT
    • 3840 posts
    November 29, 2017 9:06 AM PST
    finished ds afghan
    This post was edited by marthamfi at November 29, 2017 9:06 AM PST
    • 3840 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:33 AM PDT
    still can't post pics but have so much yarn have made lap blankets scarves etc and have so much yarn lol managed to post this one

did a wrap in the new caron cake latte yarn coconut cream
    This post was edited by marthamfi at September 24, 2018 11:19 AM PDT