Forums » In the Kitchen

Spices and Herbs

• 1313 posts
    July 17, 2014 5:34 AM PDT

How long do your spices and dried herbs last? How are you storing them to keep them fresh?

• 152 posts
    July 17, 2014 9:45 AM PDT
    I found magnetic tins with clear tops. My spices are in those & those are on the side of the fridge. As I move to the camper I'm switching to small mason jars. I buy spices from bulk bins and find them cheaper & fresher. I try not to buy more than u can use in 6 months but I often overdo it.
    • 436 posts
    July 17, 2014 10:12 AM PDT

I have a small cabinet that's away from heat above my counter that I store my spice jars in. I try to buy the smallest containers of new spices or spice blends that way if I don't like them it's not a waste of space or money. My daughter brings glass baby food jars over and fills them from what I have.  It helps her to save money. The more popular ones that I use all the time I buy in big containers from Costco.

• 360 posts
    July 17, 2014 9:22 PM PDT

I buy my favorite spices from Penzey's because I find them to be so much stronger and fresher.  They last a lot longer than the stuff at the store - who knows how long they've been there!?  They come in ziploc bags and I take out small portions and put them in small glass spice jars I buy at World Market.  For spices I use rarely, I'll either try to buy a cheap bag from the Latin section in the grocery store or the bulk bins at our natural food coop.  I also buy our everyday spices at Costco, like Montreal seasoning or garlic/onion powders, since I know they are fresh and I go through them fast.