Forums » Health and Beauty

Natural Remedies, Supplements and Oils

• 1460 posts
    July 1, 2014 6:40 PM PDT

A friend of mine sent me a package of essential oils. She uses them for boosting health and in home remedies. I have used some essential oils, herbs and other home remedies myself and like them for preventative measures and catching things early.

Do you have natural remedies that work?

• 192 posts
    July 2, 2014 5:39 PM PDT

I use quite a bit of herbal tea like echinace and nettle.  Chamomile, calendula, elderberry....tons of them.  They are cheap in the bulk section at the food co-op.  The nettle keeps my asthma in check. 

• 382 posts
    July 3, 2014 9:21 AM PDT

For me the only one that comes to mind we use with regularity is Valerian root. It's a natural muscle relaxer, great for getting a good night's sleep without actual sleeping pills, and to help ease pulled muscles. Smells and tastes horrible even in capsules, which is why we refer to it as "eating dirt."  Dirt is a kind word to use for that smell!

• 192 posts
    July 3, 2014 1:11 PM PDT

Jess:  That's true.   The nettles make a tea that pretty much tastes like pond water, but compared to the side effects of pharmaceuticals...it's not that bad.  I add a bit of buckwheat honey if I have it, plain honey if I don't.  Recently I made honey/lemon syrup (2 parts lemon juice to 1 part honey) for instant lemonade.  I've been adding a tablespoon of that syrup to the more yucky herbal teas.  it's not fabulous, but it cuts the bitter quite a bit.

• 1460 posts
    July 10, 2014 6:55 AM PDT

The Dollar Stretcher put up an article this week on natural rememedies.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03jun30g.cfm?FPFri

• 625 posts
    July 11, 2014 1:02 PM PDT

Okay I will challenge y'all:  Help me find something natural to help my psoriasis!

Tea Tree oil sets me on fire.  Red oak bark tea bath did nothing but make me smell weird.  I can't bathe n baking soda because well, umm, lady parts.  Being naked in the rain at midnght was no help nor was being naked in the rain at noon.  (Hey when you are desperate...).  DH enjoyed it but that was the only good outcome.

Lye soap didn't help, Blue Star ointment was no good, Vick's Vapor Rub smelled good but didn't help.  Crisco was ridiculous but my dogs loved me (can you believe a DOCTOR told me to do that?).

And nothing with onions or onion family.  They tend to make me itch more even when I just eat them.  Which I still do.

Anybody?

retired 

• 503 posts
    July 12, 2014 5:45 PM PDT

olive oil?  no dyes etc in the detergent or soap?  my kids get ezema so ivory soap and I just use purex or not too smelly things for laundry.

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/treat-psoriasis-symptoms-home#7

• 625 posts
    July 12, 2014 7:13 PM PDT

Thanks Martha.  I have been on that blog many times.  My dermatologist says I just flummox him.  Things that work in 99.9% od his cases don't even touch me.  But I keep trying everything except the one drug that requires a liver biopsy every 9 months.  He doesn't think it would do me any good anyway.

retired

• July 19, 2014 12:48 AM PDT

my oldest 3 of my if my kids have the problem  and the youngs girl and l boy soon .little so much he be ' ll br fine  he takes shot  he can react to milk or chocolate or msg monster raises ugly  his sister is bad in spring and tis pass winter she coughed and hated like a 50 year old chain smoker  she is bad enough she had  to go get shot in the middle of the night what she bad with Milk and all the thing we make with milk  sometimes she just goes to bed to sleep and  she call Aunt Susie bring her a shot last few weeks  she fine she asked suzie to stand with her and her sistes and she asked her aunt Minnie to handle the book

aunt katie is in charge she sent 1 invite to the assisted living  my prayer that alll of come to be with us I can oln

• 111 posts
    July 21, 2014 4:30 PM PDT
    I'm started growing medicinal plants a few years ago..I used my Elderberry and made a Tincture that we used all winter long for when we felt a cold or other symptoms of sickness..

I grow Bee Balm and for the first time made Bee Balm tea (pick the whole flowered head) for my dh and myself..its a very mellow nice smelling tea that I added raw local buckwheat honey to sweeten it..I found it made me very relaxed within minutes of drinking it..within 1/2-hr any gas bubbles I had had diminished and a toilet break was needed after the gas bubbles erupted...so I would say it definitely can help with that area..lol..

I grow Echinachea,all kinds of mint,lavender and St Johns Wart..have not used any of these medicinal wise as some are not mature enough to harvest and the mint I just have t gotten around to learning enough about yet.

I use Tea Tree oil for many things..like acne,athletes foot,bug bites etc...its a wonderful all purpose oil to have in your medicine cabinet.

I just today received my order of Oil Of Cloves,Oil of Oregano and 5-lbs if Diatomatious Earth..

I started using the DE for my dh's high blood pressure to hopefully lower it ....
    • 1460 posts
    July 22, 2014 9:53 AM PDT

Retired, does your  psoriasis feel heated or has like an enflamed itching?

Also, do you consume a lot of bread, cakes and pies; foods containing yeast?

This post was edited by Stretcher Brandy at July 22, 2014 9:54 AM PDT
    • 625 posts
    July 22, 2014 10:22 AM PDT

Brandy- Sometimes it feels heated but not all of the time.  Usually after I eat onions but only for a little while.  No inflamed itchiing.  And yeast breads and foods don't have affect me at all.  (I don't eat a lot of them though because of weight issues.)

retired

• 1460 posts
    July 25, 2014 4:55 AM PDT

Mine get to where it feels enflamed and itches. I use nothing but ice a few times a day on the spot when it appears. This has worked better for me than meds.

I have also found that yeast, heat and stress are triggers for break outs so I try preventatve measures by trying to control or avoid the things that trigger mine.

• July 27, 2014 4:13 PM PDT

my son 31 had psoriasis as a child  he was with my aunt she bathed him in something it clear him right up nothing ever since never i didnt get a chance to find before i found out what it was she died she was big in herb and such  some people called her a witch she would help anyone I read her note books but no mention of what she did for son

all he remember is it really sunk and she bathed him with this big sponge made his sand up and she had a stool she stood on she pour it over him she yelled because he tried to cover him self she said damn boy changed your diaper when you were a baby he said she made me air dry he said I was cold she add wood to the stove she fed him stew then hot biscuits and honey he loved it he said that night she put in bed and he was but naked but plenty warm he loved her almost as much as i did she was differrent but she loved all her family

This post was edited by Gayla McFarlin -Thurston at July 27, 2014 4:24 PM PDT
    • 1460 posts
    August 14, 2014 6:45 AM PDT

Retired, how are you doing?

• 225 posts
    October 7, 2014 4:48 PM PDT

I have a cupboard full of essential oils and tonics and poltices. I got the book " Be Your Own Doctor" by Rachel Weaver and studied it, took notes and never looked back. 

I want to be able to grow enough of the plants needed for the recipes and teas so I can make my own. Right now I purchase them thru Natures Answers. Millersburg PA.

Highly reccommened!!! especially this time of year dh and I take the SuperTonic and Echinacea Plus twice a day to ward off colds and flu.

Their essential oil works wonders for my extreme headaches I'd get. Rub some on the hurting area of my forehead and lay down. Incredible.

• 225 posts
    October 7, 2014 4:51 PM PDT

I should mention we cured dh's earaches with...a warm onion core stuck in his ear! LOL it even drew out the offending wax plug. Got the remedy from the book. Funny.

• 126 posts
    October 7, 2014 10:29 PM PDT
    Retired, have you tried any of the "hard lotion" bars? They are made with beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil, or with cocoa butter instead of the Shea butter. They have worked wonders for the severe eczema my grandchildren have. google "hard lotion". I use the brand MadeOn.
    • 625 posts
    October 8, 2014 12:36 PM PDT

Z-Yes.  They help "calm" the itching so I use things like that medicated cremes and ointments

retired