Forums » Education

Getting Things Ready For School

• 693 posts
    June 30, 2014 8:24 AM PDT

The beginning of July marks the coming end of summer vacation for those who attend school. For many there will be about a month left before schools reopen for classes.

Are you putting school clothes and supplies together yet?

• 286 posts
    July 31, 2014 8:15 PM PDT

I got a few hand me down uniform shirts, we all need new shoes.

• 413 posts
    August 5, 2014 8:11 PM PDT

I was looking at the Sundaypapers and seeing the ads for the products "your kid really needs!"  I was shocked!  One of the "recommendations" was for a lunch pack that was over $65!  It was four stackable cups that fit down inside a canister.  hey could be used for microwaving or cool things.  Another was for a $119 backpack.

Surely these things aren't typical?

retired

• 364 posts
    August 6, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
    At those prices, I would hope it's not typical.
    • 693 posts
    August 7, 2014 11:28 AM PDT

Since I homeschool, I can't really say if parents are actually buying that but I hope not!

• 271 posts
    August 9, 2014 8:34 PM PDT

no not typical!   bought some writing paper for .10 at walmart for the deals but since I bought lots of workbooks at the closeout sale of the local teachers store dont' really need much. have so much stocked up from last year and kits from thrift stores that never got used yet.  nice thing about the kids in homelearners only go to school for a couple days a week if that so backpacks and pencil bags last a long time.

Since there is a teachers strike going on and home learners is part of the public system who knows if I need anything more.  Will just continue with my plans.  Only need a science smart book for gr 7 for dd since the school didn't have it.

• 1 posts
    August 14, 2014 9:30 PM PDT
    I actually buy supplies for "next" school year after school starts and it's clearance time. As for clothing, both our teenage boys will need re-outfitted. They have grown inches over the summer. I'm not buying anything until school starts as they both have growing pains. I had one grow out of all his clothes from sept 1st to oct 1st last year.