Forums » Shopping

Bargain finds - couponing, sales, etc.

• 360 posts
    June 22, 2014 10:34 PM PDT

Didn't seem like we had a thread going for good deals, so I thought I'd start one up!

I thought I was done shopping for the week, but realized DH was about to be out of almond milk for his morning cereal so I decided to take some time to look at the deals at Target before heading over.  If you go to Target.com and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, there is a link to coupons you can print out.  You can also get mobile coupons via text message to your phone and if you have a smartphone, you can get an app called Cartwheel where they let you load percentage discounts on items you use.  Target lets you use 1 Target coupon, 1 manufacturer coupon, and then Cartwheel discount on top of that.

I like going to the website www.totallytarget.com to get the coupon match ups, if you like using Sunday paper or online manufacturer coupons.

Today my best deals were:

- Rolaids liquid antacid was on clearance for $2.98 and I had a $3 coupon, so that was FREE!

- 6-pack of Snickers ice cream bars for $3.84, but I used a $1.50 Target coupon and $1.50 manufacturer coupon so that was $.84!

- 2 half-gallons of Silk almond milk.  $3.64 each, but had $1 Target coupon and $1 manufacturer coupon for $1.64 each.

- I got Target brand baby petroleum jelly, baby lotion, baby powder, and diaper cream for about $1 each using a $2 off 2 coupon and 5% Cartwheel discount.  The items were all full to large size too, so it was a great deal.

- GE reveal lightbulbs are $2.79 each, but I used a $2 Target coupon plus 20% Cartwheel discount, so $.63.  (This is actually higher than what I paid last week when they were on sale - I've gotten them as low as $.18 each!)

- Target brand nicotine gum (220 pieces) were on sale for $37.99.  I use a $2.50 Target coupon plus 5% Cartwheel and got it for $33.71 total.  My father uses nicotine gum but it is so expensive that he can't always afford it.  So we always get them for him for birthdays and holidays.  (In fact I just paid $65 for a box of 200 Kirkland brand gums at Costco for Father's day just last week, and that's still considered a good deal compared to paying full price for Nicorette!)  I may go back and stock up on another box or two and save it for Christmas and his birthday.

- Coke 2 liters were $1.25 each, but I had a $1 off 2 Target coupon, making them just $.75 each.

- Needed to get a Bar Mitzvah card, but the ONLY one they had was $4!  (And it was the second store I'd gone to look!)  Luckily, I had a $2 off 2 greeting cards Target coupon, so I threw a birthday card in my cart and ended up getting 2 cards for $4 instead of just 1, so that took the sting out of it.

All told, I spent about $69 today, with $37 in savings using coupons and discounts. Considering half my total was for my father's nicotine gum and that I needed a few full price items, I think I did really well.  

• June 23, 2014 10:50 AM PDT

we buy Kraft Mac&cheese in a 5 package  there a coupon for Caprisun $2.00 off went to the store and got 4 5 packages had coupons for them $2.00 I had a couple more coupons on the caprisun so i got 6 boxes of the drinks and saved 2.00  on each mac and cheese  $11.52   not bad at all  got free  pilsbury cinnamon rolls with  coupans     on yoplait 16 package were on sales i had 3 coupons for $3.00 off and the we on sale for 3.98  so I paid .89 for each  Katie came to me she had $1.00 of each package of Birdeye products we got 23 packages of assorted vegtables for free    

• 287 posts
    June 24, 2014 1:39 AM PDT

Gayla, where do you get your coupons?

• June 24, 2014 12:31 PM PDT

i buy alot of ebay from the west coast , alot from the manufacting company  and because I get alot of product to try they always have coupons and I get 4 different papers on sunday. 

I usually spend $10.00 and get my money back triple   even as close as the midwest in the bigger cities coupons are higher

• 287 posts
    June 25, 2014 11:32 PM PDT

Gayla, how do you get the products to try?

Did you get the stamp?

• June 26, 2014 10:28 PM PDT

no the stamps

because i teach cooking and I won cooking awards  your name gets out there I give an honest opiinon and I get alot of things to try  my favorites is when we get new mixes to try i use some in some new way i make some new and the they will buy it ..I done this for year I won cake ,cookie , bread ... they pay will  DH laughed he thinks  it funny  but it he doesnt laugh when the checks get  large am working on a couple things Chistmas  I have a great cookie idea i am woriking  on

• 467 posts
    June 29, 2014 12:43 PM PDT
    I did not know you can now print coupons from the Dollar General web site. They especially have some good ones ($1.50) this week for Tide detergent, Pampers, Gain, and some other PG products. This may be old news, but I don't shop there a lot. www.DG.com/PGcoupons
    • 183 posts
    June 29, 2014 1:21 PM PDT

Went to Kroger a couple days ago, and got three tubes of Colgate toothpaste free. On sale, plus an extra fifty cents off as part of a 'buy 6 items, get $3 off' deal, plus coupons. Technically they paid me a penny each to take them out of the store. Did the same with two boxes of pasta; they ended up being 49 cents each and I had a $1 off 2 coupon, making them better than free. Also got 4 boxes of Cheerios for 99 cents a box as part of the same 'buy 6' deal and coupons. 

• 360 posts
    June 29, 2014 5:04 PM PDT

Today I went to Target and got:

- 2 boxes of Snickers ice cream bars for $.84 each (the last of these coupons I've got!)  Original price $3.84.

- A 2-piece maternity swimsuit for $25.  Original price $45.

- A large bottle of baby lotion and baby diaper cream for $2.34 total.  Original price $4.48.

- 2-pack of Nuk pacifiers $2.75.  Original price $3.49.

- 18oz package of deli ham for $2.46.  Original price $3.59.

- 2 packages of Hormel Natural Choice flame seared deli meat for $1.76 each  Original price was $4.49 each!

- 1lb of Driscoll strawberries for $1.29.  Usually go for $2.50 each, but on sale for $1.79 this week.

- 1 GE Reveal lightbulb for $.63.  Original price $2.79.

- 1 bottle of peroxide based contact solution for $2.49.  Original price $6.49.

- 1 large bottle of hydrogen peroxide FREE!  Original price $.97.

Total was $45.93, but used $10.79 store credit I had.  

Out of pocket for today was $35.14!

This post was edited by mrsobrien at June 29, 2014 5:05 PM PDT
    • 120 posts
    June 30, 2014 6:38 PM PDT

ocassionally, I get some manufacturer's and store coupons from Kroger based on my purchase history with my kroger plus card. the last pack of coupons from them , i had a coupon good for a free package of Hebrew National hotdogs, $3 off produce, when i spent $10 on produce, a free package of kroger brand  frozen veggies, $2 off off two di giorno frozen pizzas, $1 off a carton of  private selection ice cream, $2 off cottonelle toilet paper 12pk. or more.  i waited till most items were on sale, except for the free items, ;)

I also download a lot of their digital coupons onto my card. Kroger doesnt double coupons anymore, but I know Giant Eagle does. however, i don't shop there. 

Also, if you load the double fuel points coupon onto you card, when you shop at kroger stores, Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you earn double fuel points. 

generally, I spend less than $200/month at Kroger, but sometimes, Tony and I will stop in to pick up a few things, usually snacks, and sweets..lol and i always use my card, for instance, we had to pick up my prescriptuons on Saturday, we picked up, some bananas, a few frozen pizzas, and a pint of ice cream, spent $32 total, but earned 64 fuel points,; saved him .20/gallon when we filled up. he was stoked that he only $3.33 /gallon for gas. 

cant wait til they run their 4x fuel points on gift cards. 

• 120 posts
    June 30, 2014 8:44 PM PDT

I just ordered a few gifts from bath and body works. i paid between $3-5 each for full size bottles of shoer gels and body lotions.  the fragrance selection isnt great for the deeply discounted  items, but still, good deals to be had, plus you get $1 shipping on orders of $25 and up. 

just thought I'd share. 

• July 1, 2014 1:37 AM PDT

went to the in town went into the office and the principle took me to the book sale she said people don't just come to a school i brought sever books and was  surprized to find a craft book on small crochet animalsmy dh enjoys making went by got her and gave her the book she was thrilled

• 467 posts
    July 1, 2014 7:57 AM PDT
    Eyrehead...Thanks for the headsup on Bath and Body works. I might go by the store in our mall and see if they are having a sale there, too.
    • 120 posts
    July 1, 2014 4:19 PM PDT

Luckee, I think some of the sales were online only, but I'm sure their buy 2 get one free sale is also in stores, but wouldn't hurt to check it out. 

Angie

• 360 posts
    July 8, 2014 11:14 PM PDT

Did the Target diaper deal today!

Target has a $20 off $100 in baby related purchases coupon this week.  That includes food, formula, diapers, toiletries, wipes, and just about anything else you might need.  

Target is also running a deal on the super packs of diapers for Luvs, Pampers, and Huggies (the ones that have about 80-100 diapers in each box).  They are $24.99 per box, but you get a $10 gift card back when you buy 2 boxes.

I found $1.50 off coupons for the Pampers I wanted online (I hear the newspaper ones were double that) and stacked 4 coupons on top of the deal.

I was short of the $100 since the diapers were $24.99, so I got 2 bottles of baby lotion ($1.45 each) plus a $2 of 2 Target brand baby product coupon (making 2 huge bottles just $.90 total).

The long and the short of it was that I got 4 big boxes of diapers and 2 bottles of lotion for a total of $80, including tax, and then got $20 in gift cards back.  Then we went right back inside and did the deal again with DH running through the line this time.  

The second time we spent $60, using the $20 gift cards from the first transaction.  

As soon as DH was done, he handed me the second batch of $20 gift cards and I used them to buy 2 boxes of Target brand baby wipes (on top of which I used a 5% Cartwheel discount), for a total of $7 out of pocket.

So we spent a total of about $150 and came home with 716 Pampers in various sizes and about 1500 baby wipes, plus the 2 bottles of baby lotion and a small package of wipes we used as fillers to hit the $100 threshold.  That should last us a good long while!  

I was told by my mom friends that size 3 is really where you want to stock up, but everyone apparently had the same idea because they were clean out except for 2 boxes!  I snagged those, but may go back and do the deal again later in the week or exchange the smaller sizes I have.  I definitely want to get what we can while we've got 2 full paychecks!

• 360 posts
    July 12, 2014 9:27 PM PDT

Did the Target diaper deal one more time before it expired.  Was able to get 4 boxes of Pampers stacked with 4 $1.50 manufacturer coupons, a $2 off Target coupon, and the $20 off $100 coupon for $78 plus $20 in giftcards.

I turned around and used the $20 giftcard to get 9 pouches of baby food, 3 maternity tops, and a nursing tank.  5 of the baby foods were Target brand, which were $.80 each, but I got $1 off when I purchased 5.  I got 4 organic baby food pouches, which were priced at $1.34 each, but 1 of those were my filler to get to $100 for the diaper deal.  For the remaining 3, I had a BOGO free coupon plus a $1 off Target coupon, so I ended up getting those for less than $.50 each!  I had a $5 off $25 coupon for the 3 maternity shirts, and the nursing tank was just a good deal at 50% off.  All told, I got everything for $27.

In the end, we spent a little over $100, but for the price of the diapers we basically got all the baby food and clothing free!

• July 13, 2014 11:01 AM PDT

Friendly ice cream  2$5 had  $1.00 off each think we got 6 or 7  
    DBIL loves Brawny paper towels  $6.48 had a coupon for$ 3.00 3.48 for the towel

florger ccan coffee  $6.98   coupon $3.00
    borden cheese 2.28   $.200
    pespiehad coupon  that would expire today  by a 24 pack get a 24 pack free
    green giant speciality corn  10/10 between Em and I we had 20 $.50 which the doubled which made the corn free katie loves the white shoepeg and I use the
    Mexican corn a lot  
    captain crunch  2 / $5  had 2 coupons on for 2.00of each .
    cheerios   2/$5.00 had $3.00 off 1 so we got 4  box  free 
    pamper refill wipes for $5.98 had $3.00 on each brought  4 everyone uses them in the car
     newtons bogo had a dollar on each so the they were $2.44

got salmon burgers bogo   we got a case from the butcher he gave us 10% off on case

• 360 posts
    July 29, 2014 1:03 PM PDT

Target has another diaper deal going.  If you buy 2 giant packs of diapers online, you get a $20 gift card back.  Plus if you select picking up at the store, they will take $10 off a $40 purchase or more.  I bought 2 giant packs of Pampers Swaddlers for $32.99 each, got the $10 off for picking up at the store, and also used a $10 gift card from the last diaper sale to go towards my total.  I paid $47 out of pocket and will get a $20 gift card back.  That will be the equivalent of $27, or $.11 a diaper, which is a GREAT price for Swaddlers and no coupon clipping required!

I also got 3 pairs of Nike sneakers at Kohls.com for a song this week.  You can stack up to 4 coupon codes and I was able to bring down the $150 purchase to $78, including tax, plus $10 Kohl's cash.  I get my coupon codes from RetailMeNot.com or Slickdeals.net.  This time I was able to use a free shipping code, a 25% off for cardholders code, a $15 off $50 purchase code, and a mystery coupon code that Kohls emailed to me that ended up being $15 off a $25 purchase!  

• 360 posts
    July 30, 2014 11:00 PM PDT

Pay day today and we're entering my last full month at work, so I'm in stocking up mode over here.  

Last week I got 15 pouches of organic baby food at Target for $.72 after coupons, leftover giftcards, etc.  This week I did two baby food deals at Target and ended up with 32 more pouches of organic baby food for $10.  At this point I've got 2 boxes filled with pouches so I think we're good!  Don't think I spent more than $.30 each - couldn't make organic baby food that cheap!

We did 2 runs of Target's $5 off $20 meat deal stacking manufacturer coupons and Target discounts and ended up with 7.5lbs of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, 2 large bags of chicken nuggets, 3lbs. hot dogs, and 1.5lbs of lunchmeat for $23.  I need to get some beef, but that should hold us for a while, particularly with regards to the Bible study dinners I'm always cooking.  The kids will eat up those nuggets in no time flat.

Will have to keep an eye out for some good grocery deals this month.  We did a good job clearing through a lot of things in our pantry during the July pantry challenge, so now we have some room to stock up on staples.  

Tonight we did another run at Target to stock up on household goods.  We spent $50 but got 2 huge packs of toilet paper (60 rolls), 6 large pump bottles of shampoo/conditioner, 3 large bottles of mouthwash, and 2 Windex.  I also got 4 rolls of Scotch tape, 2 regular sized bottles of shampoo/conditioner, 2 pocket folders, and 1 package of post-it notes free with coupons.  Between this trip, our existing stash of cleaning supplies and the stash of razors, deodorants, and other toiletry items I scored in June, we should be good on most of our household items for quite some time.  

I've also used some online coupons, free shipping deals, and first time customer rebates on some new-to-me websites, like www.iherb.com to stock up on things like DH's dietary supplements, since they can get pricey.  

The things I can't coupon for I'll grab at Costco, but even they have monthly deals on certain items, so I've been buying doubles of things we use every day, like DH's special lotion and my expensive contact lens solution, whenever they are on sale.  

DH is set for all his fall/winter clothes after I bought those sneakers the other night, and I will probably be living in PJs or yoga pants for the next several months, so I shouldn't have to buy any clothing.

Whew, this nesting thing is no joke!

• 183 posts
    August 1, 2014 12:34 PM PDT

Got a couple of good deals at Kroger this week. Tide is on sale for $4.99, plus I had 4 $2 off coupons, making it $2.99 a bottle. Between that and a previous sale on Purex, I've got enough laundry detergent to last me a year or more, now. Also, Dawn was on sale, got 5 24oz bottles for less than $1.75 each after sale and coupons. I usually do a little bit better than that on Dawn, but it's still much better than running out and having to pay regular price.

• 508 posts
    August 4, 2014 10:14 AM PDT

good deals mrsobrien!  babies aren't cheap. I remember the thrill of discount diapers! 

a grocery store near me moved so had deals all week half price. didn't go the last day.  didn't have laundry soap on special lilke I wanted lol.  everything was half price so got hair products, shampoos, yardley french lavender talc..(still was almost 9 dollars but still half price) spent $200 over the week.  did get some basics like milk, bread, yogurt etc.

got 3 jars of pickles, pizza pops, crustinis..cheese for the boys. smart ones single entrees.   also used my bogo whiskas dry cat food ..coupon was expiring that day. so have lots of dry cat food with others I got earlier.   some things were 75% off like a big jar of mincemeat which I thought would I use it but then realized that dh aunt is gone so no mincemeat tarts from her . tearly moment. she was a great baker. so got it was under $2. got peppermint oil and dog treats since we are babysitting friends dog for a couple of weeks, couple bags of frozen veggies,  purex lavender laundry crystals got 4, clorox colour safe bleach.  hot choc mix.  some tea.

things were random why 1/2 price. like mini chips ahoy packs for snacks. ones that had the band one direction on it were half price but not the others so got them.  got frozen chinese food..honey garlic pork, spring rolls..a brand I demo'd before so know it is good. just would have to make rice to make an easy meal . frozen bacon cheddar stuffed burgers.

had some ethic brands like dutch ones so got my soya sauce ..sweet not salty, choc sprinkles.  more things but spent on one trip 178.99 and saved 143.20  had the receipt beside me on the table :)  had spent money couple of days before.

• August 5, 2014 9:50 AM PDT

got 4 little debbie coupon Mike got them ... Got three nabisco Frank got cheese nips his favorite  . and got 4 $1.00 coupons of kool iade  it was 8 for $1.00 so we got 24 packages of koolaide and got free diapers wipes coupons ....

• August 5, 2014 9:50 AM PDT

got 4 little debbie coupon Mike got them ... Got three nabisco Frank got cheese nips his favorite  . and got 4 $1.00 coupons of kool iade  it was 8 for $1.00 so we got 24 packages of koolaide and got free diapers wipes coupons ....

• 360 posts
    August 16, 2014 9:50 PM PDT

Great Target trip tonight.  

Transaction #1:

- 2 packs of Schick Quattro razors (5 in each package) for $8.39.  Used 2 $3.00 off coupons for each.  Total: $5.39 each.

- 2 canisters of Wet Ones for $2.54 each.  Used $1 manufacturer coupon, $.50 Target coupon.  Total: $1.79 each.

- 1 package of Post-Its for $1.02.  Used $1 Target coupon.  Total: $0.02.

- 2-pack of Scotch tape for $1.00.  Used $1 Target coupon.  Total: FREE

- 2 bags Perdue chicken nuggets for $5.79 a bag.  Used two $2.00 manufacturer coupons.  Total: $3.71 each.

- 3 boxes Target brand spaghetti for $1.00 each.  Used $1 Target coupon and 5% off Target Cartwheel app.  Total: $.63 each.

- Juicy Fruit gum canister for $2.99.  $1 Target coupon, $.75 manufacturer coupon, 50% Target Cartwheel app.  Total: $.62.

- Had to get some pain relief patches - no coupon, but on sale for $4.07.

- Got $.10 rebate for bringing 2 reusable bags to the store.

Total was $25.51, plus a $5 gift card for buying 2 packs of razors.  Used $20 in gift cards and paid $5.51 out of pocket.  Will get a $2.00 rebate from Ibotta, so total out of pocket was $3.51.

Transaction #2

- 6 Plum Organic baby food pouches at approx. $1.50 each.  Used 2 BOGO coupons, $1 off manufacturer coupon, and $1 Ibotta app rebate.

- 4 Ella's Kitchen organic baby food pouches at approx $1.50 each.  Used two $1.00 and one $.55 manufacturer coupon, $1.50 Target coupon.

- 1 package of Say Yes to Carrots facial wipes (found a bonus package with 40% more wipes) for $5.99.  Used $2 manufacturer coupon and $1.50 Target coupon.

- 1 package of Simply Balanced organic eggs for $3.99.  Used $.75 Target coupon and 5% Target Cartwheel app.

Used a $5 off Target coupon for a $20 purchase of the above listed brand names.

Total: $2.49 after coupons.  Used $5 gift card from Transaction #1 and will get $1 from Ibotta app, so grand total was $1.49 with $2.51 left on the gift card.

Between the two transactions, we're out $1 out of pocket for the night.  Not bad considering the pain patches were a $4.07 purchase we didn't have any coupons for.  The only thing I couldn't get were the $1.00 Target brand marinara sauces that I could have gotten for $.95 each with 5% Target cartwheel, but the shelves were bare.  Oh well!

• 287 posts
    August 17, 2014 11:28 PM PDT

msobrien, you are a genuis at this stuff!

Where do you get all those mfg. coupons? And when is the gourmet baby due?

This post was edited by turtle at August 17, 2014 11:29 PM PDT