Forums » Gardening

Mulching

• 502 posts
    May 28, 2014 7:17 PM PDT

Over the years, I have heard different opinions on mulch.

Do you find the use of mulch benefits your yard and garden? Do you make your own mulch?

• 59 posts
    May 28, 2014 11:33 PM PDT
    Yes..I mulch my garden by using grass clippings from my lawn..I have used pine shavings before but prefer the grass clippings..Im looking into The Back Eden method where you use several inches of wood chips..We bought a used DR that has a wood chipper so we are going try to make our own mulch..,My son and I went for a ride and saw quite a bit if mulch on the side of the road where the Town had used their chipper to cut up some trees so my son dropped me off at home and took my dh's truck and filled up the back with free wood chips..I used them around my grapevines and other plants..

I absolutely think there is a lot of benefits from using mulch....weed control,moisture,nutrients.
    This post was edited by Mythreesons2014 at May 28, 2014 11:39 PM PDT
    • 12 posts
    September 15, 2014 1:51 PM PDT

I use grass clippings from our lawn & from one of the neighbors' lawns as mulch in the garden.The neighbor is happy to get rid of the clippings & I can use more than I generate from mowing.

Living in the Utah desert, with canyon wind every morning & night, mulch really helps keep down the evaporation when I water, so the plants have a chance to actually use the water.