Forums » Recipes

Cajun Biscuits and Gravy

• 3111 posts
    February 5, 2015 7:29 AM PST

A recipe from Brian's Chef

Make your favorite biscuits and set aside, keep warm.

Fry 1 pound of breakfast sausage(chopping it up if necessary), do not drain. 

Sprinkle lightly with poultry seasoning, sage, black pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper(not much I do one shake of the container) and let it cook for one minute. 

Add 4 tablespoons of raw white flour and stir until it forms a nice sticky mess.  ; )   Stirring constantly, add 2 cups of milk. 

Continue stirring until the sausage gravy becomes nice and thick.  If it is too thick add a bit more milk to thin out to your liking. 

Taste for seasonings, adding salt if necessary.  Place a warm biscuit into a large bowl and cover with gravy, serve.  MMMMMM!

• 800 posts
    February 11, 2015 2:05 PM PST

Yum! I absolutely LOVE biscuits & gravy!

Here's a recipe I have at home but have not yet tried, that I think would go nicely. It is out of Loretta Lynn's cookbook, and it is her husband Doolittle's recipe for "cat head biscuits" - named because they come out as big as a cat's head. :)

Loretta Lynn’s Cat-Head Biscuit Recipe

2 cups self-rising flour (if you don’t have self-rising flour, use all-purpose and add 1 Tbs baking soda and 1/2 tsp baking powder)
    1 cup shortening or butter
    3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a large bowl mix flour & shortening together. Use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter/shortening into the flour until it resembles crumbles.  Add buttermilk & stir until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.  Place dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out to about 1/2" thick and use a biscuit cutter (or a drinking glass) to cut out 8 to 10 biscuits. You can also just drop them by tablespoon onto the baking sheet to make drop biscuits, if you prefer. Arrange on a greased baking sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes or until nice & brown.

This post was edited by pmburk at February 11, 2015 2:06 PM PST
    • 3910 posts
    September 8, 2017 1:00 PM PDT

I have self raising flour have to try that biscuit recipe of loretta lynn w

• 1421 posts
    September 13, 2017 5:19 PM PDT

we love biscuit and gravy ... just plain biscuits and milk gravy

• 3910 posts
    August 27, 2018 9:23 PM PDT
    what is your best biscuit recipe