Forums » In the Kitchen

Ideas needed for cooking in a minimalist outdoor kitchen

• 75 posts
    June 18, 2014 11:46 AM PDT

So, I'm moving into a camper over the next couple of weeks.  The camper has been on my land for a few weeks but oral surgery meant I couldn't clean out the mouse droppings or haul the blocks to put under it and etc.   I should be cleared for heavy/dirty labor on Friday!   I will have to change much of the way I cook.  There is no electricity and no running water.  I'll be hauling water in gallon jugs.   I WILL have a really nice propane stove with 2 burners, on a sturdy table.

I've invited my bookclub (they were warned!) to meet there on June 28th and am wondering what impressive but easy to make and easy to clean up dish I can serve as the main entree'. People will bring sides and dessert and drinks.   We have the usual issues you get with any group these days...one vegan, 2 paleos, 1 non-dairy, a vegetarian

Suggestions?

• 207 posts
    June 18, 2014 10:24 PM PDT

Maggie- do you have a propane grill (barbecue)?  You could do a fix your own Pizza with  toppings they could choose from themselves.  Only idea I have.

retired

• 110 posts
    June 19, 2014 9:51 AM PDT

The paleos really throw me for a loop...I know very little about the paleo diet.  Could you make a base salad or greens and veggies, then mix up something like chicken salad and tuna salad along with other "toppings" (bacon, shredded cheese, boiled eggs etc.) so people can build their own entree salad to suit their dietary restrictions?

• 75 posts
    June 19, 2014 12:38 PM PDT

no gril...just the propane burner stovetop for now.  

The salad bar might  work well! 

Having paleos and vegans together means that more than once I've brought spiced nuts...one of the only areas where their diets overlap.

• 265 posts
    June 30, 2014 8:18 AM PDT

How did this group meal go?

I hope we can get more ideas for you for the next time and for your overall meal planning in future days.

• 75 posts
    June 30, 2014 1:36 PM PDT

The meal went well!  I decided to do something I could just "heat up" and everything else was basically shelf stable.  I got clearance from the oral surgeon to clean out the mouse poo well ahead of the event, but not to lift heavy things so no outdoor kitchen construction.  Only the very small camper stove, and zero counter space, to work with.  So, I went to the farmer's market and got free-range organic brats that were fully cooked (hot smoked) and frozen solid.  I also got some vegan keilbasa for the vegan.  I supplemented these with nice brat buns from the food co-op, 5 types of my own homemade mustard, and some of my homemade sauerkraut (I'd used red cabbage so it was quite colorful).  Others brought the sides and desserts.  We had 2 bean salads, grain-free vegan scones (surprisingly good for having most of the ingredients substituted for others), chips and salsa, and various chocolate treats.

Frieneds had come over and cleared out and area under a spruce tree leaving branches hanging nearly to the ground, but with enough headroom to stand up.  This is right next to the camper (like 2 feet from the door).  I put the camper dining table on saw horses outside for the serving area (the table had pulled out of the deteriorating wall and I only use that area for a bed anyway) and the top from a folding table over 2 plastic storage bins (used to transport the food and utensils and things) to the site.   A few embroidered dish towels made a reasonable table cloth.

They were pretty happy with the set up.  We'd read "The Little Prince" and had a nice chat about it in my tiny world.

• 228 posts
    June 30, 2014 6:36 PM PDT

Maggie, I wonder if you have heard about this product called the Wonderbag?  Its a little expensive, but there are some DIY instructions on-line on how to make your own if you can sew.

http://nb-wonderbag.com/

Here's a site with the DIY tutorial:

http://newlifenewpurpose.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/diy-bag-style-heat-retention-oven-from-upcycled-materials/

The Wonderbag is a heat retention bag that essentially slowcooks your food without electricity and has been utilized in Africa and places where fuel is scarce.  You basically bring your food up to a boil for about 20 minutes and then stick it in the bag to cook for several hours.  Might be useful when you're living off a camp stove!

• 110 posts
    June 30, 2014 7:48 PM PDT

I've read about the Wonderbag and I'm pretty curious about it.  I know that there's a lot of concern about it actually staying at a food safe temperature, but I think it's one of those things where you just don't really know until you give it a try and take the temp yourself when you're ready to eat.  It's definitely interesting! I'd love to try it myself but not willing to pay for one. Even on Amazon they're pricey.

• 75 posts
    July 2, 2014 5:57 PM PDT

MrsO,  I have seen the wonderbag.  It's a great thing but the reviews were tepid.  I thought I'd go even lower tech and do an old fashioned hay box.  Same theory, and I can form it to fit my cast iron dutch oven, or any pan I like really.  Since I live in a hay field now...might as well use what I have. Also, I can't sew a stitch.  I can however stuff hay in a box...at least I hope I can.  I have an old steel ammunition box from either WWI or WWII that should work well.  If I paint it black and set it in the sun this summer, it will help it stay hot.  ...oh my gosh!  I just realized that I could totally make a solar oven out of that thing!  It's insulated already (I guess the ammunition had to stay stable or something).  It is super heavy though. 

• 228 posts
    July 2, 2014 6:06 PM PDT

Maggie, might be a good time to learn how to dutch oven cook too!  I'd love to dig a hole, throw in some coals and make a big pot of beans!  We have relatives that compete in chuck wagon competitions and it looks so fun!

• 75 posts
    July 3, 2014 1:12 PM PDT

That would be fun!  And wouldn't heat up the camper.

• 13 posts
    July 14, 2014 3:59 PM PDT
    http://lifehacker.com/build-a-super-efficient-portable-wood-burning-stove-1594974864

This might save you a few bucks on propane. Also, check out online plans for rocket stoves.
    I totally envy you the solar cooker.
    • 75 posts
    July 16, 2014 6:44 PM PDT
    Thanks for the link!
    • 265 posts
    July 17, 2014 4:46 AM PDT

How are things going, Maggie?

• 75 posts
    July 17, 2014 9:49 AM PDT
    It's been fun! The biggest challenge is downsizing. This week & weekend are all about shredding old paperwork. Furniture is in storage. Wardrobe will get 1 last cull then winter clothes into storage. I found a table to put the propane stove on & will use an old desk for the solar cooker so the outdoor kitchen is getting there.
    • 265 posts
    July 20, 2014 9:08 AM PDT

Glad to hear that it's coming along!