Forums » In the Kitchen

Low Budget Eating

• 1294 posts
    June 18, 2014 7:27 AM PDT

Many can not afford to spend whatever they want to fill the freezer and fridge. They have to carefully watch the spending and make cheap, stretchy meals.

If you have a low budget for food, how do you keep your expense low? Share your tricks to spend less with our community and readers.

• 137 posts
    June 18, 2014 10:31 AM PDT

Figure out first how much you have to spend say every week..

Then inventory what you have and then figure out what you need to create meals from what you already at home..

3rd create a list of meals your family likes this will be your go to list so you don't have to remember everytime....(this will help with menu planning and it will help w/ shopping...

4th--casseroles & soups tend to stretch limited items to get more out of them

5th--When beans can be used in meals use them half and half w/ meat that is what we do...example would be Tacos use half lentils and half ground meat season the beans and hamburger both w/taco mix..Now you created 2 meals from one pound of meat plus you could used the other half in say some baked Ziti w/lots of veggie to stretch a meal..

Also figure out what is the best way to use said items example...if you have a pound of say hamburger is best to make just burgers not really it may be better to make say spaghetti since you can get more meals out of a pound of meat/jar of sauce and some noodles.... 

• 315 posts
    June 18, 2014 11:08 AM PDT

I know people tend to harp on this a lot - but portion control makes a massive difference to the budget.  Here in the US we're so used to portion sizes that are way out of balance with what we really need to eat.  I started losing weight just watching my portions.  Instead of putting out serving dishes on the table, we've started eating at the kitchen bar and I fill our plates at the stove then bring them over.  Anyone who wants seconds is always welcome to them, but often times that one plate is enough. It's a very "out of sight out of mind" kind of trick...I know I'm personally less likely to go for a second helping of something if the serving dish isn't infront of me tempting me to have a few more bites. ;) Now that can be packaged up for lunch the next day, or frozen for a meal another time.

Also doing the opposite of what we're used to - meat as a side and veggies as the main dish.  I always fill our plates full of a few different kinds of vegetables and leave a quarter of the plate for meat. 

Growing up bread & butter was a must at every meal, and now that I've started baking my own it is especially!  A slice of warm bread with some butter goes a long way toward filling a stomach on the cheap.

This post was edited by JessYeast at June 18, 2014 11:11 AM PDT
    • 275 posts
    June 18, 2014 11:29 AM PDT

A few recommendations I can make:

- Learn to coupon. While you may not be able to get meat, fresh produce & milk with coupons (a frequent complaint) - you CAN get items like spices, seasonings, canned goods, health/beauty items, laundry items, etc., that will save on the rest of your budget & free up more money for that meat, produce & dairy. The keys are: being organized, and using coupons on items already on sale or markdown. That's how you get things free or nearly free, and develop a nice stockpile. I personally use a binder for my coupon organization, and I check several of the local online coupon sites to do the "match ups" for me, to save time.

- Shop Aldi if you have one near you. I like to stock up on frozen vegetables, canned goods, and I buy most of my dairy items there.

- Learn prices of items you typically purchase, and watch your local grocery store sale ads. Most come out on Wednesdays.

• 149 posts
    June 18, 2014 11:33 AM PDT

I agree with both of you and recently have noted what Jess has.  Eating twice my caloric needs for the day, then struggling to burn it off at the gym...2 unneeded expenses.  I don't ration food below needs, but for years I ate more than I needed.  Eating the right amount saves $ and makes it easier to figure out the cost per serving when I'm buying.

I also do inventories now and then and work with what I've got.  Since my CSA started delivering greens that gives me a focus for any new shopping to be done...it has to work with the current inventory and/or greens.

I'm also saving money by focussing on eggs.  I eat a "left overs frittata" most mornings for breakfast.  If there are no left overs then it's a "fresh stuff" frittata.  The eggs are pastured and local so not super cheap ($3.50/dozen right now for something larger than "large" from the store), but ARE super healthy and they store forever.  I've rarely had left overs last beyond a day or two by doing this and I dont' feel the need to snack before lunch.   Both of those things save $$.   I'm buying much less meat since I started with the eggs.   With the CSA going fulll blast by next month, eggs and fruit and a bit of meat will be about the only food I'm buying each week.

• 1294 posts
    June 18, 2014 1:10 PM PDT

I agree with portion control being an issue. It is in our own best interests for health and cost to not over eat.

That being said though, the person in our house who eats the largest portions is underweight. He eats for energy, weight gain and muscle mass. He does pay for some of his own food though.

Health issues and such can change how we look at food, what we choose but also we spend too. If I was not mindful of sales, stocking up and meal planning from my freezer and pantry stock, we would spend far more than we do.

This post was edited by Stretcher Brandy at June 18, 2014 1:11 PM PDT
    • 360 posts
    June 18, 2014 4:53 PM PDT

I would look to nutritional density for someone on a budget.  A lot of times, when people are on a tight budget, they are also working very long and hard hours. Simple nutritionally complete meals not only save money but time and energy.

I used to work with a guy who lived on a very small food budget but was the picture of health.  Every week he made himself a large pot of pilaf.  It was basically brown rice, beans, ground meat, and spices cooked together and he'd pack a big Tupperware of that for lunch every day with a large spinach salad drizzled with oil and vinegar.  He said he just went to Costco and bought a large bag of baby spinach, a bag of rice and beans, and a tray of ground beef or turkey.  He'd have to buy more spinach each week, but with those staples he had a complete and well rounded diet for very little money - albeit monotonous.  I think he ate oatmeal for breakfast, drank water, had a cup of coffee when needed, and ate apples or bananas for fruit because they were cheap.

The pilaf he ate was a lot like one we make around here.  I make it with less meat and its very delicious (especially with a few dashes of hot sauce!)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Middle-Eastern-Rice-with-Black-Beans-and-Chickpeas/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=middle%20eastern%20rice&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

In the same vein, I like simple meals like bean, rice, and cheese, or bean, rice, and meat burritos.  You can make them cheaply, batch cook them, freeze them and have them on hand all the time.  And they are good for you.  You can fill in the gaps with vegetables or fruit as you find them on sale - fresh, canned, or frozen - but a good bean, rice, and cheese burrito will carry you for a few hours.

I also agree with eating more eggs.  Even factory eggs nutritionally are better for you than processed junk.  Scrambled eggs and buttered toast are good just about any time of day.  Or you can make your own yogurt in the crockpot for a few cents for breakfast or snack.

Back when I was a struggling single gal living on about $20 a week for food, I would make simple meals like macaroni and cheese with tuna and frozen broccoli, chili beans cooked with frozen stir-fry vegetables over brown rice, spaghetti with turkey meat sauce, and bake homemade bread for sandwiches.  I also made a lot of soups - vegetarian or seasoned with a small amount of meat for flavor.  And I ate fruit mostly instead of sweets.

• 94 posts
    June 18, 2014 8:27 PM PDT
    I make a lot of my foods from scratch..I make seasoning for taco's...onion soup mix..salad dressings....breads....cookies....bagels...yogurt...sherbet..to many to list!

I buy boneless chicken breast on sale ( I buy in bulk) and can it...I bought hamburger ( several lbs @ $2.49 lb...wont ever see that price again!) and I pressured canned meatloaf,taco meat, plain hamburger,chili and with tomato sauce..I also made up 100's of meatballs,cooked them,flashed froze and foodsavered into family size servings..as well as foodsavering hamburgers that I preshaped.

I dehydrate my own herbs from my garden..

If I see a really good sale on foods that my family likes I buy in bulk...even when strapped on money you should still try to buy two instead of one!

I make my copycat versions of frappacinos,yoohoo,flavored teas.

Grow a garden..you can even grow in pots,recycle milk jugs etc..

Grow your own herbs from seed for fresh use or dehydrate them..

My chickens give us plenty of fresh eggs to eat...so I feed my family eggs almost everyday.

I forage wild foods..blackcaps,wild raspberries,mulberries.

My son is our hunter plus he goes fishing so deer,doves,squirrel,turkey,ducks and fish help feed the family.

I planted raspberry,blackberry,blueberry,elderberry,gooseberry bushes..

Planted lots of fruit trees,strawberry patch rhubarb,grapevines,asparagus patch mint garden,herb garden.

I stretch our milk by adding powdered milk.

Make my own jams...even using foraged berries!

This is just some of the stuff I do to save us money on our food bill..I know what I do maybe isnt possible for some people with limited budgets..but if you just bought a extra whatever each time you shop over time you will be building up your food supply...or growing your food is a wonderful way to save you money on your food bill.
    I also find serving homemade bread and more veggies with our evening meal helps to fill up my family of 5 which 4 are males..

This post was edited by Mythreesons2014 at June 18, 2014 8:35 PM PDT
    • 149 posts
    June 19, 2014 12:41 PM PDT

Mrs O makes a great point.   When I was the most broke I purchased based on calories per dollar (too much sugar and flour) and wished for greens and protein.  Sucked.

I now have more opportunities to gather wild foods which can really help with the nutrient density.  There are mushrooms and berries along a trail right by my office.  I'm taking a free "which mushrooms are safe" class from the extension office next week so I can start gathering those safely.  They don't have many calories, but they change things up quite a bit.

• 137 posts
    June 20, 2014 9:12 AM PDT

Low budget and Dietiary restriction are also tend to pop up as well.. example DD lactose intolorant and at $4.99 for a gallon of milk if she drinks one a week that is $20 a month but she tend to drink 2 a week since this is the only dairy she has...

• 1294 posts
    October 14, 2014 5:35 AM PDT

Bumping this one up