Forums » Health and Beauty

Frugal Indulgences

• 3299 posts
    January 18, 2015 7:07 AM PST

Pampering doesn't always get a good opinion around the frugal. Waste is bad and saving is good so don't buy what you don't need.

But is it ok to treat yourself and enjoy life if you can fit it into your budget?

Lifting your spirits and being positive can actually be frugal. Stress is a leading killer and cause of illnesses that require medicine. It's really better to spend time relaxing, recharging your energy, resting and enjoying your life than to cause stress and related illnesses.

So how can we frugally be kind to ourselves and have little things that go a long way for us?

How do you pamper yourself?

******************************************************************************************************************

If you are interested in frugal indulgences then you might want to read, "Inexpensive pampering", an article on why it's good to take care of yourself.

You might also want to join us in the following discussions:

Wearing jewelry- A discussion on the pieces we have and love

The right way to snack-Healthier choices without avoiding snack time;

Skincare bargains - Taking care of your skin

• 1441 posts
    January 20, 2015 7:08 AM PST

One of my daughters swears her occasional $25 pedicure saves her sanity.

• 1331 posts
    January 20, 2015 7:22 AM PST

There are two licensed massage therapists from a local sports therapy institue that come to our office one Wednesday per month to give chair massages.  Charge is $1 per minute with a 15 minute minimum.  Occasionally I sign up and gladly hand over $15-$20.  I pay for it out of my fun money instead of getting books, etc. It's a great little pick me up, especially if I can schedule it toward the end of the day.

• 2201 posts
    January 20, 2015 8:35 AM PST

Good coffee! I order a case of coffee from Café du Monde twice a year. It keeps me away from Starbucks. It is my one indulgence since I don't drink or smoke. It is actually cheaper than buying coffee beans at Costco every month and grinding coffee at home..

• 825 posts
    January 29, 2015 8:38 AM PST

We enjoy good food & good coffee. Even though we are frugal and try to find ways to save money on these things, we still make & enjoy good meals. 

I also use my Keurig each morning for a cup of coffee before I get ready for work. It gets me going! I do wait until Sam's or Costco does a good sale on k-cups, though.

This post was edited by pmburk at January 29, 2015 8:39 AM PST
    • 795 posts
    January 29, 2015 6:05 PM PST

My main indulges are magazine subscriptions. For $10/year, they provide me with some company and entertainment.  My daily indulgence is ice cream. As far as anything to lift my spirit, my garden does that.

• 3299 posts
    January 30, 2015 5:14 AM PST

Coffee..

I pamper myself with flavored coffees. I watch for bargains and sales. The small one pot packages are great because I can pick up one and it doesn't flutter the budget.

I also enjoy making flavors for the coffee like creamers or making my own lattes.

• 825 posts
    February 1, 2015 4:24 PM PST

turtle - You should look on some of the "freebie" websites (I like hunt4freebies.com) - they are always listing free magazine subscriptions you can register for. That is how we get all of our magazines, and I get Martha Stewart Living, Better Homes & Gardens, a couple of other women's magazines, and my husband gets Esquire. I check the site 2-3 times per week because there's always websites offering free subscriptions if you sign up.

• 3850 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:46 AM PDT
    what frugal pampering do you do ...me avon nail polishes high end look for cheap
    • 1 posts
    August 1, 2018 8:50 PM PDT
    Manicures for sure. Also, facial masks, softening hand treatments, hair deep moisturing. I save a bundle doing it myself and a bonus of knowing exactly what is going on my skin. Amazing how many things are in our kitchen that are great for skin & hair.