Forums » Self-sufficient Living

The Natural House: Making Your Own Cleaners

• 3564 posts
    May 27, 2014 5:13 PM PDT

This is my list of favorite solutions for cleaning. Post and share your own natural and frugal solutions.

Please note that I use the words, "several drops" for measurements on the essential oils. One can use less or more depending on how strong you prefer it. I go by scent when adding oils as I like the additional benefit of a fresh or pleasant scent in a room or in the laundry.

Another note is that essential oils may seem expensive. They go a long way however and will last quite awhile. I buy two bottles of tea tree oil a year on average but a bottle of lavendar lasts me a couple of years.

Some believe that certain brands are superior to cheaper ones. I have seen no difference in the tea tree oil I buy at Wal-mart from a more expensive brand except that I pay less for the one at Wal-mart.

These are the items I use consistently for my cleaners and other solutions that include essential oils:

• Baking soda
    • Vinegar
    • Soap
    • Borax
    • Tea tree oil
    • Lemon oil
    • Lavender oil

Pine oil is another good choice but I have not purchased any lately.

My favorite solutions using these items:

Anti-bacterial All Purpose Cleaner:

• 1 tsp. Borax
    • 1/2 tsp. dish liquid
    • 1/4 cup vinegar
    • 2 cups hot water
    • Several drops of tea tree or pine oil 

Mix ingredients in a spray bottle and shake. Spray onto surface and wipe clean with wet cleaning rag.

Good for bathroom and kitchen counters, bathtub or toilet.

All Purpose Cleaners: Cleaner 1:

• 1 part vinegar
    • 1 part water
    • Several drops of tea tree, lemon or pine oil

Mix ingredients in a spray bottle and shake. Spray onto surface and wipe clean with wet cleaning rag.Good for daily wiping of counters, outside of appliances, some walls and stove hoods.

Cleaner 2

• Warm water
    • 1/2 tablespoon of liquid soap
    • Several drops of tea tree, lemon, lavendar or pine oil

Fill spray bottle with water leaving enough room to add soap and oils then shake. Spray onto surface and wipe clean. Good for cleaning plastics and other objects and surfaces in the home.

Floor Cleaners:

Vinyl Floor Cleaner

• 1 gallon water
    • 1/4 cup of vinegar
    • A couple of drops of lemon, tea tree or pine oil

Mop floor with solution

Vinyl and some Stone Floor Cleaner

• 1 gallon water
    • 1/2 tablespoon of liquid soap
    • A couple of drops of lemon, tea tree or pine oil

Mop floor with solution then mop again with clear water to rinse off soap.

• 3564 posts
    May 27, 2014 5:14 PM PDT

Here are some more of my cleaning tips:

The best thing I have ever found for microwave cleaning is to mix lemon juice and water (equal parts) in a bowl and heat it in the microwave. When it's cool enough to work with, I use a towel to wipe the inside with that solution. If you have food cooked in or whatever, use less water.

The inside of a fridge or freezer can be easily cleaned by cutting a lemon in half and then sprinkling baking soda on it. Use the lemon to scrub the insides of those appliances. I am experimenting with whether using a rinse wipe after is good or not.

• 3564 posts
    May 27, 2014 5:14 PM PDT

And a solution from the web for cleaning windows

http://www.household-management-101.com/homemade-glass-cleaner.html

• 77 posts
    May 28, 2014 10:38 PM PDT

I just learned a great one for cleaning the tub: take one of those dish-scrubbing wands and fill it with half dish soap and half vinegar. (The tip I read said the dish soap had to be "original blue Dawn," but I tried it with the store brand and it seems to work just fine.) I've tried just about everything for cleaning my tub (powders, liquids, and sprays; rags, sponges, and various scouring pads) and this is the only thing I've found that really gets the soap scum off. I keep the scrubber right there in the tub, so I can clean it right after I finish my shower; this is a lot more convenient for me than having to change into old clothes in the middle of the day. And once the tub has been cleaned, cleaning the rest of the bathroom later on seems like much less of a chore.

• 73 posts
    May 29, 2014 12:28 AM PDT

I have just about used up all the store bought cleaners that I had on had so I have started making my own.  We did our spring deep cleaning last week and I used this cleaner in my kitchen on the walls, counters and cabinets.  It is FANTASTIC and you don't have any fumes overwhelming you while you clean.

Wall and Cabinet cleaner

1 cup clear ammonia (I know, but it really cuts the grease in the kitchen)

1 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup baking soda

1 gallon warm water.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a bucket (at least 1 gallon size) add water and gently stir.  Use a sponge or rag to wash walls, cabinets or floors.  Allow to dry, no rinsing needed.

I also use keep this multi purpose disinfectant cleaner on hand all the time.  I use it everywhere.

2 teaspoons borax

1/2 teaspoon washing soda

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

4 Tablespoons white vinegar

2-3 drops of tea tree OR eucuplytus essential oil

3 cups HOT water

32 ounce spray bottle.

I always mx borax, washing soda, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl so that I can make sure the powdered ingredients get dissolved.  Then using a funnel add this mixture to your spray bottle.  Add the hot water and essential oil. Shake to combine ingredients.  Spray on and wipe with a damp rag or sponge, no rinsing needed.  Just remember to give it a good shake each time you use it. 

• 3564 posts
    June 3, 2014 12:15 PM PDT

Haverwench,

It always does seem easier to do light cleaning as we go instead of a day of deep cleaning when it builds up.

Great tip!

• 1446 posts
    June 8, 2014 10:04 PM PDT

i havent had much luck with homemade cleaners ...  but borax  and washing soda and welcome here .

• 3564 posts
    June 17, 2014 7:30 AM PDT

Bumping this up and asking if anyone else has more solutions to add.

• 363 posts
    July 1, 2014 10:17 PM PDT

Where does one find essential oils at Walmart? Thanks so much!!

Angie

• 3564 posts
    July 3, 2014 5:54 PM PDT

Angie,

The best place to find essential oils are at a local natural food store. You can also find them on the internet and sometimes those can be cheaper.

This post was edited by Brandy at July 3, 2014 5:56 PM PDT
    • 360 posts
    July 7, 2014 7:03 PM PDT

I just got beet juice stains out of our carpet with 1 part dish soap and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide.  Just mix it up, spray it on the carpet, and sponge away.  GONE!

• 6 posts
    November 15, 2016 10:05 PM PST

The Knicks are celebrating their 70th anniversary this season, and the team has rolled out an extensive branding platform to help Stephen Curry Shoes mark the event.The most visible aspect of the campaign is a pair Moncler Sale of anniversary logos, one of which is being worn on team uniforms.These Kyrie Irving Jerseys logos will be extensively deployed over the course of the 2016-17 campaign. Oklahoma City Thunder Jerseys Given the sheer number of visual impressions that will be attached to Canada Goose Sale the art, the logos and the program will quickly become familiar to Cheap NCAA Jerseys fans.The visual program was developed by the Knicks’ in-house marketing and creative Brandon Ingram Jerseys teams. They began work on the anniversary look during the middle of Chicago Bulls Jerseys last season.Sharon Otterman, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Madison Canada Goose Outlet Square Garden, says that the Knicks always envisioned it being but a Cavalier Steam Shop single component within a larger, cohesive anniversary program."When we began meeting and Warriors Team Store talking about what the 70th season would bring, we knew it wouldn’t NBA Jerseys just be a jersey patch, there would be an entire platform, theme Joel Embiid Jerseys nights, alumni activation, merchandise and more," Otterman said. "We met with our Klay Thompson Jerseys photo services department and archi­vist to review archive photos of the team Kevin Durant Jerseys and boxes of old newspaper clippings to pull assets to help the Custom NBA Jerseys design come together. We wanted to keep the heritage and form factor of our main logo, but Kevin Durant Shoes we wanted to celebrate the anniversary as well."A look into the creative process reveals an extensive dive into the team’s visual history.
    The Grizzlies will finally get to see $94.8 Stephen Curry Jerseys million man Chandler Parsons in action after signing the forward to a Kyrie Irving Shoes max contract in July. According to ESPN, Parsons will make his debut Canada Goose Jacket Tuesday in a home matchup with the Nuggets. Parsons was recovering from Lebron James Shose knee surgery suffered in March but is ready to make his first L.A. Clippers Jerseys Memphis start after spending his first five seasons in Texas with the Jimmy Butler Jerseys Rockets and Mavericks. The small forward averaged 13.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and New York Knicks Jerseys 2.8 assists last season with the Mavs. Although he's tied down with Cleveland Cavaliers Jerseys the Grizzlies the next four seasons, Parsons just became a free agent Lebron James Jerseys on the dating scene after breaking up with Victoria’s Secret model Toni Custom NCAA Jerseys Garrn, according to TMZ.
    On the day after a historically stunning Election Cheap NBA Jerseys Day, Steve Kerr was among a number of NBA coaches and players Kobe Bryant Jerseys still processing the unprecedented events of the weeks and months that led C.J. McCollum Jerseys to deciding the 45th president of the United States.The Warriors coach, speaking Stephen Curry Jerseys to reporters ahead of Wednesday's game against the Mavericks, said he was Russell Westbrook Jerseys dismayed by the 2016 election cycle, which featured a relentless barrage of Moncler Jackets insults flung between President-elect Donald Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.Kerr echoed Moncler Outlet the sentiment of Pistons counterpart Stan Van Gundy, who hours earlier wondered Cleveland Cavaliers Jerseys aloud how America could elect a "brazenly racist" Trump.Kerr, who has spoken Los Angeles Lakers Jerseys in the past about divisive social issues such as gun laws and Anthony Davis Jerseys racial injustice, summed up the election in his own way. His comments, Golden State Warriors Jerseys in their entirety, via ESPN.com: